The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 21, 2009, 01:46 PM   #1
watchale

can a felon hunt with a crossbow in tx

Can a convicted felon hunt with a crossbow in texas.
AIso is the barnett wildcat c5 a decent crossbow ?
Old September 21, 2009, 02:57 PM   #2
longranger

I do believe that there are no restrictions on felons owning or posessing archery equipment or a hunting license. Only caveat is if the felony was a "Lacey Act" violation then a hunting license may become an issue.
Old September 21, 2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

As for bowhunting, I've never heard of any restrictions, except those which prohibit being able to buy a license in the first place.... such as some states won't let you buy a hunting license if you own back child support.

In some places you can still hunt with a gun.... can't own one but can use one... I have a relative who is a convicted felon who hunts every year in NY, just has to borrow a gun.

Now, let me say that I have no idea as to the ACTUAL legality of that, I've never looked, but if you buy a gun hunting license then you'd think they'd assume you're going to hunt with a gun...
Old September 21, 2009, 03:06 PM   #4
watchale

thanks

Thank u. I just wasn't sure that crossbows were considered to be the same as regular compund bows. So if they are then it should be ok. Bcuz a felon can hunt with a bow here in texas.
Old September 21, 2009, 03:11 PM   #5
watchale

Here in texas u can't use a gun if ur a felon. Legally anyway...lol

P.S. I am not a felon. Just to clear that up.

Last edited by watchale; September 21, 2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old September 21, 2009, 04:10 PM   #6
rantingredneck

It ain't Texas, but here in NC you can't. Know why???

Sometime ago some wag in Guilford Co (I think) killed his wife/girlfriend/significant other/baby mama/whatever with a crossbow. He used a crossbow because he was a convicted felon and thus prohibited from buying a gun. So he bought a crossbow. Guess what happened next because of that one case.............yep..........now you have to get a purchase permit from your local sheriff here to buy a crossbow. Just like we do for pistols..........don't get me started on that one.........
Old September 21, 2009, 04:12 PM   #7
rantingredneck

Quote:
I have a relative who is a convicted felon who hunts every year in NY, just has to borrow a gun.

Now, let me say that I have no idea as to the ACTUAL legality of that, I've never looked, but if you buy a gun hunting license then you'd think they'd assume you're going to hunt with a gun...
Pete, I'd look it up if I were you. 'Specially if you're the one loaning him the gun .....
Old September 21, 2009, 04:14 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Pete, I'd look it up if I were you. 'Specially if you're the one loaning him the gun .....
Not me loaning him the gun.... I've inquired with him about it.... he seems to think that if they sell the license then they must not mind if you use a gun... whatever, it's not my time in the slammer. Don't ask, don't tell I guess. Besides, the odds of his getting caught are.... well, there's not a lot of DEC around and there's a LOT of ground to cover. I have advised him to make sure it's legal, he doesn't care.)

(Note: This is not me condoning illegal activity. You should not construe this as advise.)
Old September 21, 2009, 04:17 PM   #9
rantingredneck

Well, from a federal perspective he's a felon in possession. I'd be surprised if NY didn't also have similar feelings..........

Glad you're not the supplier .
Old September 21, 2009, 04:17 PM   #10
simonkenton

Your relative is probably pushing his luck, big time.
By federal law, if convicted of a felony, you may not own or possess a gun.
That means you can't hunt with one.
It also means, if you are visiting your buddy's house, and he hands you a firearm to look at, while you are holding that firearm you are committing a federal felony.
I know, it sounds insane, but that is federal law.

State laws vary, but I doubt that NY law is more lenient than federal law.

As for the guy in Texas, I bet he could hunt with a muzzleloader.
Muzzleloaders are legal for federal felons to hunt with.
Old September 21, 2009, 04:22 PM   #11
rantingredneck

Quote:
As for the guy in Texas, I bet he could hunt with a muzzleloader.
Muzzleloaders are legal for federal felons to hunt with.
Yep, and oddly enough legal in NC even though Crossbows are not........
Old September 21, 2009, 04:27 PM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Does the firearms restriction apply equally to ALL felonies, and for life for all felonies?
Old September 21, 2009, 04:34 PM   #13
rantingredneck

I'm no lawyer, but my understanding is yes. There are circumstances where felons have had their RKBA restored through pardon, expungement, other legal means but that usually takes a lawyer and some $. Also has to be a relatively minor felony I would think.
Old September 21, 2009, 04:35 PM   #14
simonkenton

peetzakilla, that is a complicated question.
If federal, yes.

In other words, the guy who murdered his girlfriend with a pistol in the National Forest is in the same boat as the guy who grew the marijuana in the National Forest, both committed federal felonies, neither may ever have a firearm again.
The only hope for a federal felon is a presidential pardon.

State laws vary widely.
In Georgia, they have a first time offenders waiver.
If you have one felony, do your probation, and stay out of trouble, they will clear your record, and you may have firearms again.

Some states are more strict. In New Jersey, a bb gun is considered a firearm, and may not be possessed by a felon.
You think I'm making that up, but it is true.
Old September 21, 2009, 05:26 PM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know if this was a federal felony or not..... sexual contact with a minor is, I think, what the conviction was for. It was consensual, I guess the girl even wanted to testify as such but the court (and the parents) didn't seem to care (not that I blame either of them). The girl was 14, I think. It's all sort of unspoken legend at this point, had to be 30 years ago or more.
Old September 21, 2009, 05:37 PM   #16
simonkenton

Sexual contact with a minor would almost certainly be a state crime, unless it happened on an Army base or some other federal property.

There is a good chance this guy is committing a felony every time he hunts with that gun.
He better find out the letter of the law.
In some states a felon may hunt with a muzzleloader.

Don't get me wrong, the law is not only wrong it is unconstitutional that this man is deprived of his firearms rights, but I would hate to see him get into more trouble.
Old September 21, 2009, 05:44 PM   #17
Daryl

If it happened on forest service land, or a post office parking lot, maybe an an indian reservation, or some such then it's likely federal.

I tHINK sexual miscondict on other-then-federal property would be prosecuted by the state, county, or local province, but I'm no lawyer.

Edit: woops! Simon beat me to it.

Daryl
Old September 21, 2009, 07:06 PM   #18
watchale

muzzleloader

Wow this thread went a little crazy but anyhow. A felon can use a muzzle loader but it has to be an antique or something like that. Does anyone know anything about crossbows which ones are good for deer or eater size hogs ?
Old September 21, 2009, 08:16 PM   #19
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Does anyone know anything about crossbows which ones are good for deer or eater size hogs ?
I know that they're loud and produce little or no more energy than a compound bow.... I'd use a bow unless I couldn't draw it for some reason, and then I'd use a bow with a draw lock if I could.
Old September 22, 2009, 05:54 AM   #20
shortwave

Quote:
Does anyone know anything about crossbows which ones are good for eater size deer...
I agree with peetzakilla on using a compound bow. Unfortunately, I`m one of those that can`t pull one anymore due to spinal injury. Remarkable improvements have been made in the crossbows made today. Once zeroed, are extremely lethal out to around 40yds. Excalibur and Horton are both excellent brands. I currently use a Horton Legend and love it. One note of caution, if your going to hunt from the ground, zero it from the ground. If from a treestand, zero it from on elevated position. As with many guns,your POI WILL be different. Its just very exagerated with a bow. Thats where the practice comes in. Shoot it on flat ground, uphill and downhill. Shot placement(although always critical) IMO is a bit more critical when bow hunting.
Old September 22, 2009, 07:53 AM   #21
watchale

Thanks for the helpful info shortwave. I know nothing about archery hunting other than its harder than rifle hunting. The crossbow isn't for me. Its for a relative. Do u think It would be ok to use one in the $300 range or are most of the $300 crossbows crap? There is one @ academy that is $319 (horton summit)
Old September 22, 2009, 08:12 AM   #22
rantingredneck

My father in law uses a Horton Summit. He's been using it for a few years now since having bypass surgery and no longer being able to use a compound. He's killed 3 or 4 deer with it and none of them have complained about the quality of his crossbow .

Seriously it is very accurate and hits hard out to 35-40 yds.

NC regs have changed and (barring interference from the state legislature) we should be able to hunt with crossbows in NC next season without a disability exception. I traded for a Parker Buckbuster crossbow earlier this year and have shot it a bit (only at targets thus far) and have been happy with it's accuracy and bolt speed. It's also a bit quieter than my father in law's Horton.
Old September 22, 2009, 08:23 AM   #23
watchale

If that crossbow hits hard out that far we should be in good shape. Good info thanks man.
Old September 22, 2009, 01:55 PM   #24
shortwave

At Bass Pro Shop, the Horton Summit is $300 and the Explorer is $380. The Legend 175 package is around $570. Summit and Explorer are both 150lb. while the Legend is 175lb. Shop around and you`ll find all these bows cheaper. Possibly at Wally World or your local gunstore. If you buy used, see the bow first and possibly try to shoot it. Dry firing will split the limbs. Never shot the Summit but had an Explorer before the Legends. Can`t imagine the Summit shooting much different than the Explorer. The Legend shoots faster/flatter for a longer flatter shot. Bought two Legends at local gun store that were not 'package deals'. Scopes,slings and quivers were not included. Just the stripped down bow. They were cheaper then the package price at Bass Pro. Didn`t care cause I wanted red dots instead of scopes anyway. Seems as though I gave $650 for both but that was back 8-9 years ago when the Legends first came out. As far as accuracy goes,Ive got a friend that works at the local gun shop(in the archery dept.) were I bought my bows that has Robbin Hooded(shot one bolt(arrow) into target then shot another and it stuck in first shot arrow) twice. The first one , he and I were setting up/zeroeing a customers crossbow up @ 30yds . The second Robbin Hood I was not there. At any rate he sent the bolts into Horton. Horton sent them back incased in glass. He talks 'smack' to me everytime I rag on his shooting ability. I tell him"even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then".
Old September 22, 2009, 02:09 PM   #25
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If that crossbow hits hard out that far we should be in good shape. Good info thanks man.
Of course, "hits hard" is a relative term. A very fast crossbow will generate perhaps 90 or 95 ft/lbs of energy point blank, more likely 75-80, or less, in a hunting set-up.

A 22LR generates about 350ft/lbs, give or take, and a "real" rifle generates 2500 ft/lbs or more.

(I'm not putting down bows or bow hunting, it's my favorite way to hunt, just putting it in perspective.)