The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 24, 2009, 08:47 PM   #1
kenfa03

Stuck case

I have a stuck 2506 case in a RCBS die. The decapping pin will not come out. Will any stuck case remover work?
Old August 24, 2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Farmland

Welcome to the club. I stuck my first 25-06 during my first reloading. The RCBS stuck case remover will work fine. This is the one where you drill through the flash hole.

It took about 1 minute to get it unstuck. However I had to go out and buy the thing first.

You might hit the decapping pin but that is easy to replace.
Old August 24, 2009, 08:58 PM   #3
kenfa03

Thanks. I didn't think about drilling.
Old August 24, 2009, 09:03 PM   #4
Farmland

I should explain it in more detail, you drill through the flash hole and tap threads for a bolt that goes through a metal cap and pulls the case out of the die.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0018791212467a.shtml

Some people have made their own version of this tool.
Old August 24, 2009, 09:09 PM   #5
rn22723

This might give you a better visual:
http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instru...RemoverKit.pdf
Old August 24, 2009, 09:16 PM   #6
GP100man

i d&t for 1/4 inch then take a socket that fits over the case, bolt with threads all the way down & a flat machine washer , use short enuff bolt to not hit deprimer pin but long enuff to use all the threads.lube threads good
Old August 24, 2009, 09:19 PM   #7
wncchester

"You might hit the decapping pin but that is easy to replace."

Loosen the decap stem and raise it as high as it will go before you start drilling/tapping.
Old August 24, 2009, 11:18 PM   #8
Gbro

I drill out the primer pocket (flash hole) and tap , then thread the die into the press from the under side(ram side). A few flat washer's over the top of press and you are good to go.
It is much faster to find a 1/4 " tap and a few washers at the local hardware store than waiting on a mail order kit that basically is the same thing.
Old August 25, 2009, 05:41 PM   #9
Shoney

13/64" drill bit to drill out flash hole

1/4" Tap to tap the inside of the drilled out flash hole

1/2" Socket (1/4" drive) goes up against die and allows stuck case to be pulled into it

1/4" x 1 1/2" Washer on top of socket (keeps bolt from gouging the top of the socket)

1/4" x 1" Machine bolt goes into threaded flash hole and is turned to pull case out. If you need extra insurance, complete the above to get the setup ready, leave the die in the feezer over night, then pull.
Old August 26, 2009, 02:36 AM   #10
impalacustom

Here is a sight that describes what Shoney and Gbro are talking about, with a picture of the material, and more instructions as well.

http://www.geocities.com/capitolHill....htm#stuckcase
Old August 26, 2009, 07:52 AM   #11
W. C. Quantrill

Unscrew the nut and loosen the decapping rod before you drill and then drill very carefully so as not to hit the decapping pin. Thread the hole, set a socket large enough to allow the case head to enter it over the case head and put a short bolt with a flat washer thru the square hole in the socket, thread into the case and gently turn the bolt tight and pull the case loose then once the case neck is free of the die, you can take a pair of pliers and carefully pull the neck sizing ball out of the case. The whole process takes less time than it did to type this.
Old August 26, 2009, 09:55 AM   #12
Gbro

The only other comment i have on this subject is,
When you have stuck a case, the 1st clue is the head area is pulled apart.
Usually the decapping pin is protruding through the flash hole or very close to it.
The decapping stem needs to be backed out as far as the threads will allow in some die's but refrain from drawing it through the neck of the case as you can do that in some die's but it will stretch the neck out 3 times its normal length. Of course we are not going to salvage the case anyway, as the head is destroyed. Some situations one may thread the decapping stem into the die as the case is removed after being freed with the puller bolt. or when removed like W.C. Q. states the expander plug might still be inside the case. I will cut the case close to the head to remove the expander plug/decapping stem.

I have only stuck one case but have helped others.
I screw the die into the press from the bottom, then one only needs a couple washers and no socket or pipe as a spacer.
I will keep th freezer idea in mind if I run across one that is stubborn.
Old August 27, 2009, 04:29 PM   #13
harrys170

if u back out the decapping pin assenbly and drill slow you shouldn't hit the pin i have done several.the rcbs stuck case removal kits works great ,,, good luck