The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 31, 2009, 06:32 PM   #1
adk

44mag Case Life?

What is a good rule of thumb for 44 mag case life if I'm shooting 180 grain jacketed bullets over 12 grains of Unique? (4" revolver.) About how many times can I use them?

Thanks.

-----
Old May 31, 2009, 08:30 PM   #2
B.L.E.

It's hard to say and depends a little on the gun. Cases seem to last forever with my Smith and Wesson model 29. A Ruger I used to own was a different story altogether. I would get case separation in only 4 or 5 reloads except with a batch of Norma cases which seemed to hold up. I think that Ruger had excessive head space which caused case stretching and maybe those Norma cases had thicker rims or something effectively reducing the headspace.

With a tight chamber and proper headspace, the end of life will come when the case mouth splits from the work-hardening of the brass from the expansion and resizing. This may be dozens of reloads but I'm not sure because I haven't been very dilligent about logging my reloads.
Old May 31, 2009, 08:36 PM   #3
dahermit

The same number of bites it takes to eat an apple.

You will maximize reloads before the neck splits if you do not over flare to seat the bullet, and do not over crimp (too heavy crimp). Over flare and over crimp will work harden the brass faster than any other factor. The crimp area of the case usually splits first. Only crimp as deep as a factory round...you do not need any more than that.
Old May 31, 2009, 09:20 PM   #4
GeauxTide

Shooting 240gr cast over 9.0 gr. of Unique, they don't seem to ever wear out; however, I practice what the others do. I don't heavily flare cases or crimp light loads.
Old May 31, 2009, 09:28 PM   #5
cornbush

I have some cases that have been loaded several dozen times, and a few that after the 2nd or 3rd loading cracked. If you don't get carried away flaring the mouth they will last longer. I haven't noticed much difference as far as how hot the loads are, just how much the brass gets worked. I don't anneal my brass, some do and it probably helps in the long run, I think I get my moneys worth without an extra step every few loadings.
Old May 31, 2009, 10:41 PM   #6
B.L.E.

Oregon Trails Laser Cast bullets come with a beveled base which means you hardly need to bell mouth the case at all to start the bullet. Every little thing helps.
Old June 1, 2009, 07:41 PM   #7
bfoosh006

Dahermit....The same number of bites it takes to eat an apple......

Excellent answer. If you don't mind I'm gonna use that one.

Got anymore?

I've always liked, when you drop somethin'.... "darn gravity,..its everywhere"
Old June 1, 2009, 08:34 PM   #8
madmo44mag

I have two Rugers and have some brass that's over 20 years old now.
It has been shot so many times I can't tell ya.
I have only had to trim it once when one would over crimp now and then.
Only a hand full of brass failures and that was only when I was loading over published loads.
My hunting 44mag is a Ruger SBH with a 10.5 bull barrel. It normally sees 240 JHP with 22.5gr of Alliant 2400.
When I really need to reach out there 23.0gr. - That's a handful!!!

The response above on crimping and belling are dead on. Don't work that brass any more than you have too.
I will add though that if you are loading over max, you may have to take a harder crimp to prevent bullet jump caused by the tremendous recoil.

Last edited by madmo44mag; June 1, 2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: spelin - spelling
Old June 1, 2009, 09:38 PM   #9
adk

I much appreciate all the help. I'll find the least flare that works, and I'll stop putting such a hairy crimp on the lighter loads. Then I'll keep track and see how far I can get with some cases.

I have a lot of brass but it looks like it needs to last, looking at everybody all sold out like they are. I suppose the factories will gear up eventually to meet the demand and make the money, I hope. But this could last a long long time.

Thanks again.

-----
Old June 2, 2009, 06:10 AM   #10
mtnbkr

I have two loads for my 44, a 300gr Cast Performance WFNGC bullet at 1300fps and a 240gr Oregon Trail SWC at 1000fps (within 25yds, they're pretty close to the same POI). I don't bell the cases much, but I crimp the 300 grain loads pretty heavily. I haven't lost a case yet, even after multiple uses.

ADK, if you need brass, try Bass Pro. I was in their Richmond, Va store Sunday and they had plenty of new Winchester brass on the shelf for $25/100.

Chris
Old June 2, 2009, 07:43 PM   #11
aerod1

[QUOTE][/My hunting 44mag is a Ruger SBH with a 10.5 bull barrel. It normally sees 240 JHP with 22.5gr of Alliant 2400.
When I really need to reach out there 23.0gr. - That's a handful!!!

The response above on crimping and belling are dead on. Don't work that brass any more than you have too.
I will add though that if you are loading over max, you may have to take a harder crimp to prevent bullet jump caused by the tremendous recoil.
QUOTE]

I have the same gun and I use it for hunting whitetail deer and hogs.
According to my manuals you are over max for most firearms, however the Ruger SBH will take more punishment than most.
Have you ever chrony'd those rounds? I was just wondering what the FPS is.