The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 25, 2009, 07:23 PM   #1
shooter007

Reloading

Ive been shooting factory ammo my whole life. Ive become more serious now and want to start reloading. I wanted to start out with the Hornaday Lock N Load classic kit. I don't know what i need as far as dies and cartridge tools. I was going to go with Hodgon powder, Sierra Matchking 135 gr HPBT bullets, and wasn't sure about cartridges. Any suggestions for what I will need for dies and tools to repair cartridges? What about my choices for powder, bullets, and cartridges?
Old April 25, 2009, 07:31 PM   #2
uncyboo

Buy a reloading manual from a major powder or bullet mfg. It will guide you through the safest way to get started. You'll spend maybe $20 bucks. Heed what it says.
Old April 25, 2009, 07:39 PM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
I was going to go with Hodgon powder, Sierra Matchking 135 gr HPBT bullets, and wasn't sure about cartridges. Any suggestions for what I will need for dies and tools to repair cartridges? What about my choices for powder, bullets, and cartridges?
Can't suggest anything until you find out what cartridge you want to load. I think you're putting the cart before the horse. I wouldn't necessarily buy powder, bullets, etc. until you pick the cartridge(s) for reloading.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 25, 2009, 07:42 PM   #4
taylorce1

Sounds like you might have a .270 Win if you are going to use 135 grain Match Kings. You might be starting into this hobby at the wrong time. I can't find primers any where and I'm not the only one with this problem. I have a little stash built up but not as much as I'd like.

I agree with getting a manual to start. Read as much as you can and go slow always. Reloading is a great and satisfing hobby to get into and it compliments everthing you can do with a firearm.
Old April 25, 2009, 08:03 PM   #5
harry carey

there is NO problem getting expensive 22 lr ammo !!! Lapua, Eley, SK, Wolf iS SK !!! join a gun club sign up the club for CMP and get the club price on Aguila Golden Eagle and get a target 22 from the CMP or buy an Anschutz. best prices on 22( good stuff) are Champions Choice TENN, and Champions Shooters Supply OH.
Old April 26, 2009, 11:53 AM   #6
James R. Burke

They are correct on the manual. It will give you many ideas, and possiable loads. I would start with the manuals, then if you still want to get into it the next step is building or buying a nice bench where you can be by yourself. There are many good manuals out there so get one first. It is nice to have a few so you can cross check things. I always try to get one for the make of the bullet I will be shooting, then try to keep them upgraded ever few years. But no doubt the manual is where you need to start. There is a shortage of primers, and a few other things dont let that get you down it has to most of us, but I believe it will pass, and the supplys will come back. It is a great hobby/sport that is clean and fun to do. This is a great forum to belong to. The folks here are always willing to help out, and get you going in the correct direction. Have fun, and keep it safe!