The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 20, 2006, 11:16 AM   #1
gators44

New Leupold VX-I vs. used VX-II

Hey, I just bought a new savage 270 that I plan to be using at both the range and to hunt with. I'm planning on a buying a 3-9x40 scope for it and I think I have narrowed it down to either a new VX-I and a used VX-II can get both for about 200$. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, other scopes that were in the mix but I think are not anymore (unless you guys have any helpful suggestions) were the Bushnell Elite 3200 and the Burris Fullfield II. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Old February 20, 2006, 05:32 PM   #2
PAHOGHUNTER

Scopes

I have 2 LEUPOLD VARI XII SCOPES and 2 BURRIS FULLFIELD PLEX SCOPES. If I wanted another scope I would get another BURRIS I just can't justify the money for the LEUPOLDS, if you shop around you can find the BURRIS SCOPES for around the $150 to $160 range new. good luck
Old February 23, 2006, 10:14 AM   #3
fisherman66

PAHogHunter

Have you ever needed to send the Burris scope to the factory? I guess it's kind of a loaded question. I know the Leupold factory is great at repairing or replacing damaged scopes. I'd rather not use that service; but it makes the 2nd hand market for Leupold thrive. I like a company that stands behind their product. I don't know what Burris' track record is for that kind of thing.
Old February 27, 2006, 12:33 PM   #4
Scorch

Go with the Leupold VXII. it's a $300 scope, if you have problems with it you can have it fixed easily and quickly. Burris is a good scope, but given the options listed, I'd go with the Leupold.
Old February 28, 2006, 01:07 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Easy. Used VX-2. Bigtime.