The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 15, 2005, 12:53 PM   #1
Eisande

Benchrest Target Question

I am not sure if this is the right forum..but I have always wondered about the official way to use a bench rest target. I tried the usual searches but couldn't narrow it down.
I am talking about the small rectangular tragets that have a series of concentric circles and a heavy black border square at the top of the circles.

I'll try to attach and image, but these targets are referred to as benchrest targets at my range (I understand the term benchrest). I wondered when does one shoot at the square vs. the circle? Also, I notice they are in groups of 6, 3 to a row, and I think the targets are numbered 0 through 6 or A then 1 though 5?

I usually shoot my cold shot +4 into the black square, then while trying other shooing positions I just aim for the circles.

(in the picture I am talking about the upper target. Though if you know what/how the use of the lower one goes I would be interested to her it as well).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bench-target.jpg (13.3 KB, 379 views)
Old August 15, 2005, 01:03 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I am not a competitive benchrest shooter but from what I have read, the offical way to use a benchrest target is to use whatever part of the square gives you the most precise aim and if your group falls anywhere inside the border of the card, it is OK. The rings are not scored and they are not as good an aiming point as the square, but they are standard on the target.
Old September 8, 2005, 06:51 PM   #3
lyfestyl

Benchrest...now You're Talking!!!

EISANDE...

THE DARK SQUARE IS REFERED TO AS THE AIMING SQUARE, WHICH IS A MISNOMER, BECAUSE HARDLY ANYONE AIMS AT THE SQUARE. IF THE MIRAGE IS SO BAD THE SQUARE IS ALL YOU CAN SEE IT MIGHT BE USED AS AN AIMING POINT THEN.

MOST AIM AT SOME POINT ON THE CENTER CIRCLE WHICH IS REFERED TO AS THE MOTHBALL. I AIM AT THE SIX O'CLOCK POINT ON THE CIRCLE AS A GREAT MANY BENCHREST SHOOTERS DO. JUST A PREFERENCE.

IN GROUP BENCHREST, WHICH USES THIS TYPE TARGET, THE OBJECT IS TO SHOOT THE SMALLEST GROUP OF 5 SHOTS (SOMETIMES 10) PER MATCH IN THE RECORD TARGET (THE TOP TARGET) IN A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TIME (SEVEN MINUTES FOR 5 SHOTS). THE WORLD RECORD AT 100 YARDS IS .009 OF AN INCH CENTER TO CENTER!!!! ONE TINY LITTLE BUGHOLE! MOVING BACKER TARGETS ARE USED TO PROVE ALL 5 SHOTS WERE FIRED.

THE BOTTOM TARGET IS USED FOR FOULER AND SIGHTER SHOTS WHICH YOU CAN HAVE AS MANY AS YOU WANT.

CHECK OUT BENCHREST CENTRAL AT WWW.BENCHREST.COM AND YOU CAN FIND OUT ANYTHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT ALL FORMS OF BENCHREST. IT IS A FANTASTIC SPORT IF YOU LIKE EXTREMELY ACCURATE RIFLES!

SCOTT