The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 2, 2013, 04:39 PM   #1
zbones6

Good Deal on a Krag?

Hey guys. The mil-surp bug wont shut up, and Im on the prowl again. I recently looked at a Krag-Jorgenson at a local gun shop. It was sporterized, but not Bubba-ed. It had a scope mount and scope, and unless it was a carbine version, cut short. It was in great shape, but I didnt look for matching numbers. He was asking $400. Good deal?
Old March 2, 2013, 05:39 PM   #2
chiefr

If you want a hunting rifle in 30-40 Krag and it has a decent name brand scope and good bore. I would consider it an average deal. 30-40 Krag ammo is hard to find and expensive. Also, the hard truth is there is practically no market for sporterized Krags. I see the same sporters year after year at gunshows. Some dealers can't sell them and don't want to take a loss. As one dealer told me "I keep bringing it to every gunshow hoping the right fish will bite"

If you really want a genuine as issued milsurp Krag I would pass and find one.
Old March 3, 2013, 06:50 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Top dollar for a D&T'ed Krag. No amount of money could restore this rifle. I would pass.

There are Krag rifles in the 5-600 dollar range that are original, much better to spend your money on this than a sporter.

Last Dec this was under $600 off GB.

Old March 3, 2013, 06:12 PM   #4
SIGSHR

AFAIK Uncle Sam never got into the matching numbers thing-he put an S/N on the receiver and that was it.
Yes, better to holdout for an un-Bubba'ed one.

Last edited by SIGSHR; March 3, 2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old March 4, 2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Pharm

I think that's way overpriced for sporterized Krag. It has zero collecitbility and if you wanted a hunting rifle, you could do far better.
Old March 6, 2013, 04:20 PM   #6
brinker

30-40 Krag:

That is a fair price for a cut down sporter: Wisconsin Ammo company has reasonably priced ammo in 150 Grain. 100 rounds for 116.00. on the shelf at gun stores it's running 40.00+ for 20 rounds 180 grain. I Deer hunt with 150 grain and try to keep it under 200 yard shot. I like the 22 inch barrel the Krag is Lite with a sling nice and comfortable to hunt with. If it's wet I carry muzzel down, I have a 1903A3 muzzel sight and I hooded it, easy to find with the carbine rear ramp. I don't use a scope, I have a 243 700 Remington, with a 4X Redfield.I hunt with it also, But if I feel like walking I carry my Krag. Shoot safe and shoot clean Sunny
Old March 6, 2013, 04:34 PM   #7
HiBC

Its real subjective.

Figure it is a cut down rifle,not a carbine.Carbines are few.

Is it an investment?IMO,no.Collectors are into proper and correct.

Rational reasons to buy it? Probably not many.

Unless you just want it,and you are quite sure you will enjoy it for what it is as a shooter.Only you can decide that.

If you decide to go for it,you do not need my approval,just enjoy!

Before you spend your money,you might visit the CMP web page and think about a service grade M-1 Garand ,I think they are $625.