The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 10, 2010, 04:04 AM   #1
nefprotector

Arizona man arrested after gun fires at Walmart

Arizona man arrested after gun fires at Walmart

PHOENIX (AP) - Authorities said a Surprise man has been arrested on suspicion of endangerment when the gun he was carrying discharged inside a Walmart in El Mirage. El Mirage police said the 30-year-old man entered the store around 1 a.m. Thursday and witnesses said he repeatedly fidgeted with a holstered semi-automatic pistol.

When he went to a counter to pay for a video game, witnesses said he removed the gun from the holster - causing the magazine to come loose and fall to the floor. They said he reinserted the magazine and continued manipulating the gun when it fired, sending one bullet into the ceiling.

Police said no injuries were reported. He was booked into the downtown Phoenix jail on six counts of endangerment and firing a weapon in city limits.

___
Old April 10, 2010, 06:38 AM   #2
1goodshot

Hes an idiot, hopefully they take his right to own a gun away.
Old April 10, 2010, 07:47 AM   #3
shortwave

Hopefully the El Mirage PD and the judge he'll set in front of are smart enough to realize that there's morons out there doing the same dailey things more responsible people do. Including carrying guns.

Thank GOD nobody got hurt.

Hope somebody tells him just how bad he's made the responsible gun owner/carrier look.
Also, hope the video game had something to do with learning proper gun handling technique's

Moral of the story is don't 'repeatedly fidget' with loaded handguns.
Old April 10, 2010, 07:50 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

I have a feeling the moral of the story goes well beyond not repeatedly fidgeting with a loaded gun.
Old April 10, 2010, 08:10 AM   #5
MTT TL

Quote:
Arizona man arrested after Negligent Discharge of Firearm at Walmart
There fixed it for you.

I guess he failed the Walmart OC test for nubes. Never heard of that actually happening before.
Old April 10, 2010, 08:27 AM   #6
geetarman

I saw the video a couple of times and it looks to me like he was wearing some kind of uniform. Perhaps the video was not clear enough but it sure looked like he might have been in the uniform of MCSO. I hope that is not the case.

A later view of more of the video appears to show this guy wearing some sort of uniform shirt and what looks like jeans. The shirt was not tucked in and he was not in a complete uniform. What is really confusing is the guy shows no reaction when the gun discharges.

Wonder if he was on drugs.

Last edited by geetarman; April 10, 2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old April 10, 2010, 08:31 AM   #7
LafayetteLA

Wonderful

more fodder for the anti-gun crowd to frenzy upon.
Old April 10, 2010, 08:31 AM   #8
Sport45

Seems many have to take the "Wal-Mart walk" after getting their CCL. This guy failed miserably.

I hope I'm wrong...
Old April 10, 2010, 08:34 AM   #9
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
I saw the video a couple of times and it looks to me like he was wearing some kind of uniform. Perhaps the video was not clear enough but it sure looked like he might have been in the uniform of MCSO. I hope that is not the case.
Do you have a link to the video or did you view it in a official capacity?

What's the MCSO?
Old April 10, 2010, 08:36 AM   #10
Sport45

Probably Maricopa County Sheriff's Office
Old April 10, 2010, 08:38 AM   #11
"JJ"

I would bet if they check, they would find he just purchased his 1st gun & probably just got his holster! I would hope that a long time shooter would know better.
I know Arizona is an open carry state. In Texas, A CC state, exposing your gun can be an offense. Just asking, in an open carry state are there regs on flashing your gun?
Again, thank God nobody got hurt!
Old April 10, 2010, 08:43 AM   #12
geetarman

Shadi,

I edited my post. I looked at a more complete video and you can see when the police walk him out he is not in a complete uniform. The first frames of the video clearly show some kind of patch on each shoulder.

MCSO is Maricopa County Sheriff Office. I did not see any video in any official capacity.

Here is a link. . .I think. . .

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/we...o6kY2W8uQ.cspx
Old April 10, 2010, 08:53 AM   #13
n7qvu

Local News said that he had on a Correction Officer shirt. Seems he started the course, but dropped out early on. Also he had taken out his gun several times, but I guess since he had a shirt on, the WalMart staff ignored him???? They only called 911 after he fired it.
WOW!!!
JWsGUNs.com FFL-07, NFA SOT-C2.
Old April 10, 2010, 09:13 AM   #14
mete

A mall ninja 'playing with his pistol' > BANG ! They should have called police immediately ,before the bang.
Old April 10, 2010, 09:27 AM   #15
moxie

One clue is this happened at 1am.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old April 10, 2010, 09:53 AM   #16
Double Naught Spy

Okay, saw the video. Fidgeting definitely wasn't the problem. Finger on the trigger was.

Open carry may be legal in AZ, but had I seen this fellow with his gun out and held in shooting position as it would appear in the video, I believe I would have considered him to be a threat, maybe an incompetent threat after dropping his mag, but a threat none-the-less.

Quote:
Peoples said the suspect was identified as 30-year-old David Walters, of Surprise.
Old April 10, 2010, 10:06 AM   #17
NoSecondBest

I'm as pro gun as anyone but this just goes to show that everyone shouldn't be allowed to own and carry guns. You just can't deny that there is a percentage of our population that is somewhat mentally defective (in a variety of ways) and shouldn't be allowed to own or carry firearms. They're a danger to themselves and everyone around them. I've seen a number of accidental discharges in my life and only once did it result in someone being shot (in the foot). However, in each case there were other people around who could have been shot had the muzzle been pointed in the right direction. I was actually at a pistol shoot one time when the women on the firing line next to me started to swat at a bumble bee flying around her. She had her finger on the trigger and the gun was loaded. She pointed it at me several times before I could get ahold of her hand and point it up in the air. Luckily, it didn't go off. She was immediately invited to leave and asked not to come back. Second Amendment - YES. Idiots with guns - NO.
Old April 10, 2010, 10:19 AM   #18
jglsprings

Here is a different report....

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news...harge-4-9-2010

This link explains much.....

he is a Mall Ninja. A dangerous one who needs to spend some time in jail.

Commas save lives...

Last edited by jglsprings; April 10, 2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old April 10, 2010, 10:19 AM   #19
shortwave

Quote:
I believe I would have considered him to be a threat...
Me too!

Watched the vid also. To use 'fidgeting' to try to describe what this guy was doing is really laughable.

This guy shouldn't be carrying a water pistol.

Maybe a mental evaluation is in order.
Old April 10, 2010, 11:11 AM   #20
Edward429451

No discount for him

Quote:
Moral of the story is don't 'repeatedly fidget' with loaded handguns.
Maybe he was tryin to pick up the checker girl and fondling his gun gave him confidence. Too bad he prematurely detonated his round.

That's how my buddy had a ND in my basement. Fidgeting with his gun and finger on the trigger.
Old April 10, 2010, 11:32 AM   #21
gak

This, on the verge of Arizona's governor about to sign into law Az as one of only handful of states (Vt., others) legal for CC w/o permit. I'm not a conspiracist, but you wonder about the timing of this idiocy - and subsequent news reporting.
Old April 10, 2010, 11:33 AM   #22
spacecoast

Another plus for revolvers...
  • no dropping your mag at 1AM at Wal-Mart
Old April 10, 2010, 11:59 AM   #23
crghss

Where is Walmart security?

If this guy is taking his gun out and removing mag and adding it again Walmart security should taken him right then. The register girl thought she might be robbed? Way to long to react to this one. Maybe it happened faster then the article reads but this guy needs a psych eval.

No more guns for him...
Old April 10, 2010, 12:20 PM   #24
Kjackson35

This guy is an IDIOT!

The video just made me sick to even watch it :barf: I have never had an AD or ND (pray to god I never do) but an ND into the ceiling, really? wow...
Old April 10, 2010, 12:20 PM   #25
bdb benzino

Just sick. Thats the way it makes me feel when I think of the anti-gun propoganda this will stir up, way to go genius!