The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 5, 2002, 02:18 PM   #26
PeacefulWarrior

Weapom mounted lights work much better with shoulder fired weapons (shotguns,MP-5 etc.) On handguns the get a little cumbersome. I prefer to have a Surefire on a laynard on my support side. I think it also depends on how you are going to carry your pistol. If you add a light you are limited to a "Tactical" thigh rig. I know a few makers have belt hosters for weapons w/lights but they are not really concealment holsters. Another factor is that by having a light near your muzzle "smokes over" the lens after a few rounds...not a problem for home defense scenarios but if you do any serious training with it,it becomes a factor.
Bottom line if your are not using it for any SWAT or Tactical applications stick with a light in your support side and save some money
Old October 6, 2002, 02:00 PM   #27
another okie

It's an option. There's nothing to prevent you from having another flashlight in your support hand if you want one. You don't lose anything by having a light on your weapon. I agree that they're less useful on a pistol than a long gun, but even on a pistol they allow you to have a free hand and light when you want one. Maybe the ideal combination is a maglite or small red or blue light in your support hand and a powerful Surefire on the weapon to blind someone with or illuminate the whole room.

Over and over again I hear people say it's a violation of the safety rules because "you have to point the gun at something to light it and you don't know if you want to shoot the object or person yet." Well, no. If you point a Surefire at the ground in a normal size room it will illuminate the entire room.

You can also take the M3 off the pistol and use it just like any other Surefire in your support hand if that fits the situation better.