The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2016, 05:25 PM   #1
Flyingliver

Hornet Reloading For Early Winchesters

I'm turning 73 in February and just starting to reload for the first time. This is also my first post on this site, so excuse me if these questions are redundant.

I shoot an early Model 70, (5 digit serial), and a Winchester Model 54. When I measure the diameter of my early .22 Hornet cartridges, they measure .223, but the new ones are .224.

Can the modern Hornet ammo be fired in early Winchesters? Can I purchase .223 bullets anywhere?? Also any powder, bullet, case prep, tips will certainly be appreciated.

I love these old calibers... I've got a Model 92 and a Model 43 in .218 Bee, and Ruger 77's in .250-3000 and .257 Roberts. You can see WHY I want to learn to reload. NO gun shop carries these cartridges on the shelves.... Hxxx, I can't even buy .22's anymore.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Flyingliver