The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2016, 11:10 PM   #26
cw308

Tlewis81,168 gr. is what I shoot in my 308. My powder scale was a birthday gift 5 years ago RCBS Charge master 1500
Old January 10, 2016, 05:23 AM   #27
FrankenMauser

Higher end electronic scales are pretty accurate.

But, when I can get a quality beam scale for half (to one fifth) the price, an expensive electronic scale (usually with a crappy warranty) just isn't something I'm willing to buy.

Beam scales also aren't dependent upon the power grid, or batteries. More than once, I've passed the time during a power outage by reloading.

One thing that's relatively new and I would like to get my hands on, to try out, is the Hornady G2-1500 electronic scale. (Edit: It's a new product for 2016 - just announced Nov 12, 2015.) Hornady claims that the circuit was specifically designed to handle powder trickling, which would eliminate the biggest fault that I've seen in similarly priced (or cheaper) scales: failing to register small, incremental increases in powder charge, which results in dangerously low scale readings.
At $40, or less, I may order one. I'm not a big fan of the battery-only power, but it's probably a suitable scale.

I'm not opposed to an electronic scale for weighing powder. We have the technology to make them work safely. - I just don't like what I've used in the past.

Here's a short quote from an older post of mine, where I was discussing an electronic scale's failure to increment, because the trickled powder was being deposited in the pan in smaller quantities than the scale's increment resolution threshold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
(...) In my latest experimentation with a Cabela's scale (labeled for reloading), I was able to trickle 37 grains of powder into the scale pan, with the scale only reading 17 gr. ...and it was properly zeroed; and is a scale that is known to be accurate (when used within its limitations).

Last edited by FrankenMauser; January 10, 2016 at 05:32 AM.
Old January 10, 2016, 07:24 AM   #28
brasscollector

Since were talking about scales I will toss in my .02.. I have a few gravity beam scales and they are new enough to have the magnetic dampening. I removed the magnets from inside all of them. Before you could trickle into the pan and the beam wouldn't budge. Trickle, trickle, trickle and then finally it would move and I'd be waaay off. I read somewhere to remove the magnets and that made all the difference in the world. Now my scales are very sensitive and much more reliable.
Old January 10, 2016, 01:41 PM   #29
Tlewis81

I think thats the scale.i been looking at franken...my local store has for 30ish the g2 1500 i think pretty sure
Old January 10, 2016, 02:28 PM   #30
Unclenick
Staff

Scales are catch as catch can. Beam scales work on fundamental principles that cannot be made to go wrong. However, that doesn't mean they are always maintenance-free. If you get dirt and grease in the knife edge or rust forms in the steel V, they won't resettle in the same place. If there is a damper magnet that a non-magnetic conducting plate (usually aluminum) slides between the poles of, you can get iron filings or whiskers in there and have it start to drag on the plate, so you need to keep that clean.

Electronic scales weigh faster and you can tare them with the push of a button, which is often convenient when you are making an adjustment.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 10, 2016, 03:53 PM   #31
Tlewis81

Thanx any info is welcome
Old January 10, 2016, 06:41 PM   #32
Shimpy

I haven't shot benchrest for many years, but most didn't use scales. Volume not weight must be consisent. Many of us used a Belding & Mull drop tube to assure the exact same charge. The others gave good suggestions and I would add we were big on neck turning to assure the seated bullet is concentric with the OD of the neck which makes it centered into the chamber to align with the throat of the chamber. If the neck wall thickness is not consistent then the bullet is seated offset in the chamber and gets a bad start into the throat.