The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2009, 11:34 PM   #1
Slate

Newby question

I use a Lyman beam scale, when measuring a load does the arrow on the left side of the scale have to be dead on zero to get axact reading, or how much off, up or down can you be to be within 1/4 to 1/2 grain off? I may not be asking this right?
Old January 16, 2009, 12:03 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

You need to zero the scale. That is, put nothing on the pan, set the weights to zero and use the adjustable foot under the pointer side of the base to level the scale until the pointer reads right on zero. Then adjust the fine setting weight to 0.1 grains or 0.2 grains or or whatever you want to learn the pointer displacement of, and see how far the pointer moves? Tap the scale a few times to be sure it moves completely into place. The balance knife edge can get a little airborne dust in them and drag very slightly. The tapping helps it settle in. A load light by that same weight setting will move the pointer the same way the small beam wieght did. A load heavy by that amount will move the pointer to the other side of the zero mark by the same amount. Usually there are small marks either side of the center line to indicate 0.1 grain dfferences, but if the Lyman doesn't have them, you can mark your own with a pencil by using that method.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 16, 2009, 08:35 PM   #3
Slate

Well my question was say I have a 36 grain charge in the tray, should the arrow on the left point at dead zero for an 36 grain charge? How many grains plus or minus would the scale be? I'm not sure how to word the question here?
Old January 16, 2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Shoney

Slate
The information given you by Unclenick was very good advice. He is a very knowledgeable reloader and a straight shooter.

You didn't mention which Lyman you have. They vary slightly in sensitivity. Judging from the 30 grain load, you must be loading a charge for a small rifle. Knowing the cartridge would also give an indication of how to answer your question.

When I zero my balance, I hold the pan end down and let it rise and find balance. I do the same with all subsequent weight measurements. Releasing it from the top or middle can result in variances of up to 0.3 grains plus or minus. I am very particular and weight to the zero mark by droping individual kernels of powder, and then hold the pan down and release to make sure it is at zero.

There is no way we can absolutely diagnose your problem from afar. It is like letting a mechanic listen to your car over the phone.

Please give us the model of the ballance, the powder, and what cartridge you are loading.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111

Last edited by Shoney; January 16, 2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old January 16, 2009, 09:45 PM   #5
Slate

My question is not about balancing the scale, it's about reading the far left of the scale plus or minus of 0, does that make sense?
Old January 16, 2009, 09:49 PM   #6
Shoney

There are graduated marks on that end with the pointer. The one in the center should be larger/longer and that is the zero.

Just how many grains each mark indicates is not known to me, your scale literature may say.

If I were to guess, they are marked in 0.1 grain differences.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 16, 2009, 10:25 PM   #7
Slate

That was the question, sorry I could not explain myself better. Are those increments tenths of a grain? I have an old Lyman D5 scale.
Old January 17, 2009, 06:13 AM   #8
Shoney

I'm not familiar with that scale, but yes I would presume they are 0.1 grains = 1/10th grain.

There should be a knob on the scale end of the ballance which is graduated in 1/10th grains (they are usually designate by 0; 0.1; 0.2; 0.3 and so on) in every ballance I have used.

Zero the scale; give the knob a turn to 1/10th grain; let the beam ballance and observe the deflection on the pointer end on the scale. This will tell you the amount that the pointer end graduations represent.