The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 7, 2004, 09:55 AM   #26
Double Naught Spy

If you don't bait the deer so that they will come in really close, how do you expect the drunk hunters to be able to shoot the deer?
Old December 11, 2004, 05:16 PM   #27
hummelsander

How about just stop hunting, let the deer get out of control, then see who comes to who to solve the problem..............nope that wouldn't work...the gov would just send out the National Guard to mow'm down and dump the meat in the Gulf....bad idea....sorry I thought of it. :barf:
Old December 18, 2004, 02:36 PM   #28
capnrik

Deja Vu...

Reading this thread takes me back about 20 years when I was a young hunting guide on the Texas/Mexico border. I have sat and listened to clients vilify everything from timed feeders to smokeless powder.

One gentleman hunted with a single shot, open sighted rifle and was generally derisive of any hunter with a repeating rifle, even a bolt action. Repeaters weren't "fair".

Another refused to let me take him to a draw in the jeep.
Vehicles weren't "fair".

We had no feeders on the property, but sometimes I would bait a road with corn in the morning, hoping to get a shot in the afternoon. My father hated the practice, and said it wasn't "fair".

So here's the deal. Get out of bed in the morning and go hunting naked.
No boots; deer don't have them.
No drawers, not even a jockstrap.
No gun, no rifle, no knife, nothing.

Because the minute you manufacture cloth for those undies, or pick up a rock and start chipping at flint, you are using human intelligence, and beginning the long path up that leads to GPS, night vision, timed feeders, game cameras, and those horrible sacks of corn.

So, skivvies ain't "fair".