The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 24, 2020, 05:58 PM   #1
The Rattler

1915 Winchester Model 1897

A friend of mine’s wife inherited an old Model 1897. I know a lot of factors beside date of manufacture influence value of any gun. However, does a Model 1897 made in 1915 have more value because it is 105 years old than a Model 97 in comparable condition that was made in say the late 40s?

I may attempt to post pictures later so you can give a much more informed opinion. But for now, I am just trying to determine if an over 100 year old date of manufacture affects the overall value of this model shotgun.

Thanks.
Old February 24, 2020, 07:11 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OukmFnhUCM
Old February 25, 2020, 07:58 PM   #3
Scorch

In the not-too-distant past, just about any Winchester 1897 was worth about $500-$600, mostly driven by CASS participants. But then the Chinese bought out a copy of the 1897 that sell brand new for about $300, so automatically all 1897 shotguns are suddenly worth about $300. I have an 1897 made in 1912, and it is in excellent condition (solid wood, uncracked and uncut factory stock, metal in fair condition, not shot loose, 30" full choke barrel, factory front bead) that I paid $200 for about 6 years ago. I imagine that some day the Winchester collectors of the world will suddenly rediscover the 1897 and I will be inundated with bidders waving handfuls of cash to persuade me to relinquish my valuable relic, but until then it's worth about $300. Since I hate to see any old gun chopped up, I will hold onto it til then.
Old February 28, 2020, 04:40 PM   #4
Crunchy Frog

I started shooting cowboy action ten years ago. I was shopping the used gun rack at a local gunsmith’s shop and found a 16 gauge ‘97 at what I considered a really high price especially given the cost of 16 gauge ammo. The gunsmith told me that prior to the rise of cowboy action that a ‘97 in pristine condition would languish on the shelf even if priced at $100. There were too many more modern shotguns available on the market. Then the cowboy shooters began buying up the shootable versions.