The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 5, 2016, 03:06 PM   #1
ZwCoffindaffer

Hodgdon Longshot

Anyone have any experience with this powder? I come into a pound of it the other day and I'm not sure what to use it in. I only load 2 pistol calibers, 9mm and .45 ACP. I used the data on Hodgdons website to try it out in .45. Didnt like it at all. I havent worked it up in the 9mm yet, but after the bad outing with the .45, I dont know that I even want to try it.

It was filthy. A lot of unburnt powder. The muzzle flash was bad in broad day light. Recoil was worse than any other load I've tried. Last and most importantly, it gave me the worst accuracy I'd ever seen out of that particular gun I was shooting.

Maybe it will be better in the 9mm since it creates more pressure than the .45, but I dont know.

Anyone know of a good use for this powder?
Old January 5, 2016, 03:34 PM   #2
Jimbo-Indy

Longshot, when used in pistols is best in higher pressure loads. I especially like it in the 10 mm with 180 gn bullets as it will approximate the performance of Buffalo Bore performance loads. I have used it in 45 ACP but it takes maximum pressure loads to burn well. Haven't tried in 9mm but would think the pressure would be more to it's liking. You referenced unburned powder and erratic performance which indicates there wasn't enough pressure to make it burn properly. Longshot was designed as a magnum shotgun powder, hence it's need for pressure.
Old January 5, 2016, 03:52 PM   #3
stubbicatt

It is a good powder in 9mm.
Old January 5, 2016, 04:04 PM   #4
alistair

I use it for 9mm
Old January 5, 2016, 05:07 PM   #5
Clark

Longshot looks like a good powder for high velocity, based on published data.

With experiments, it is not so good.
1) I had it blow a revolver to pieces.
2) I had another handgun get lower and lower velocities as more powder was added.
3) Not enough Longshot will fit in a 9mm to get anything like high performance 9mm with Power Pistol.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old January 5, 2016, 09:25 PM   #6
Longshot4

You don't mention what bullet you are using. according to the Hornady sight Long shot with 230Gr. fmj gets the higher pressure. Check the sight out more carefully.
Old January 5, 2016, 09:30 PM   #7
MarkGlazer

Superb powder for 9mm. I load 115 gr lead cast for target and 147 gr XTP for defensive. I love the performance, specifically the lower recoil. I do load mid-point, no desire nor need to push into the high end or +p.

I don't find the powder to be any more or less dirty than say Titegroup, Silhouette, or some of my rifle powders.

I hope you got a good price. My LGS had a sale just before the year was out and I purchased 8 pounds, below internet prices - fully burdened. Usually you see large quantities on the shelves in January.

Good luck.
Old January 5, 2016, 10:33 PM   #8
ZwCoffindaffer

I'm using 185 gn Hornady xtps

I only paid about $27 for the pound of it. I haven't been reloading for a super long time so I haven't settled on a powder I like enough to buy more than a pound of. I'm in the process of testing hs-6 and Titegroup. I wanted to try some unique but cannot find it
Old January 6, 2016, 11:56 AM   #9
Nathan

45 Auto
230 plated hp
Max or near max load is my accuracy load!

Yes, it is clean!
Old January 6, 2016, 02:31 PM   #10
849ACSO

I have been using it 10mm. Kicked around trying it in .45ACP, but I've heard it does better in higher pressure rounds (10 and 9 mm's) than teh low pressure 45ACP.

I like it in my 10mm loads. Good velocity and accuracy and it burned clean, but again, higher pressure loading.