The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 6, 2004, 11:08 PM   #1
MeekAndMild

Raining like stink all over the southeast today...

The rain this week has set me to wondering, who here has experiance shooting in the rain, especially light bullets like 85 gr softpoints out of a .243? Will this just open up the groups or will the point of aim change in a consistant manner? If the rifle normally shoots 1 inch to 1 1/4 inch groups what will happen in the rain? Would something heavier and slower like a 200 gr out of my .35 Rem hold tighter groups even though its basic accuracy in a Marlin 336 is significantly less?

I've got a deer crossing staked out at a distance of about 90 yards where a big buck has been seen a couple of times, for 2-5 seconds before he ducks into the brush. Typical time he sticks his nose out is at night except when it's raining to beat the band. I'm hoping to nail him one rainy, nasty afternoon but I've only got one shot at him.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old December 10, 2004, 04:42 PM   #2
T in VA

I have shot my 30-30 in the rain and when it was dry and it preformed pretty much the same. Sorry i have very little expirience with those light rounds you were talking about.
Old December 10, 2004, 04:52 PM   #3
wyrdone

Yeah, Lots of Rain today. Supposed to possibly get snow up here in the NRV sometime this weekend.

Only time I've noticed a difference is shooting in fairly steady rain with .22LR and the rain just made the rounds go a bit wild (off in all sorts of direction, but generally hitting low) (@100 yards). With a higher power round like the .30-30 I doubt you would see any change.