The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 8, 2004, 03:33 AM   #1
JCAM

Bullet for Boar?

I'm planning my first wild boar hunt in California , using a No. 4 Lee Enfield chambered in .303 British. I'd like your advice on bullet choice. Remington offers a 180 grain soft point, but after all the advice I hear about penetration on hogs, I'm wondering if the military 175 grain FMJ might be a better bet for penetration? Both of those bullets should be leaving the muzzle at around 2440 fps. I appreciate any advice on the matter. I do not reload.
Thanks.
Old December 8, 2004, 11:02 AM   #2
wyrdone

Are FMJ rounds legal to hunt with in your locality? Most states do not allow hunting with FMJ rounds due to the lack of expansion and lessened ability for a clean kill.
Old December 8, 2004, 11:20 AM   #3
Rmouleart

Id go with a good high quality bullet, in most states you can not hunt with a FMJ. Id go with a Nosler Partition/Speer Grandslam/Hornady Interlock or interbond/BarnsX all these bullets are known good game getters, tend to stay together in most cases. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.
Old December 9, 2004, 05:10 AM   #4
Poer_bullet

I have a friend that only hunts with a .303 and he never had any penetration problems with Remington bullets. The 180 grainers should work fine.
Old December 9, 2004, 10:24 AM   #5
CJNies

I do not think you have be concerned too much about the .303 and penitration and stick with a soft tip.
Also if you've never hunted hogs before remember that the vitals are located a bit lower then they are on a deer.
In a perfect world every shot I made on a pig would be a quartering away shot so the round passes behind and under the front shoulder traveling forward through the vitals.
Old December 9, 2004, 11:27 AM   #6
JCAM

Thanks everyone.