The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 15, 2024, 12:43 AM   #1
AL45

Locking lever at 7 o'clock, gun locks up tight.

I read a lot of articles about how a side x side's days are numbered when the locking lever is slightly left of center. I purchased a Savage Fox B 20 gauge several years ago and the locking lever is at 7 to 8 o'clock and it is rock solid. I haven't shot it a ton but have probably put a box through it Quail hunting and then a couple of boxes shooting a little trap. From what I read, based on the location of the lever, it shouldn't lock up or if it does, it should open up when fired. Yet it works fine. The gun was made in around 1950, so I figure it's been shot a lot. And I understand that the lever moves left as it is shot over the years. But could something besides wear be causing the lever to be so far left?
Old February 15, 2024, 11:01 PM   #2
Nathan

It’s just a matter of use. No reason to do something before it needs done. When it needs done, I would guess you will have to pay someone to weld up the locking mechanism like on a Browning Citori.
Old February 16, 2024, 03:03 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
But could something besides wear be causing the lever to be so far left?
Debris in the action could do it.

It could be a bit of junk from the field, an accumulation of old dried up lubricant, or something else, even a piece broken off another part, lodged in just the right spot.

I don't mess with the internals of double guns, but I'd say yours ought to go to someone who knows them, and have the action looked at and cleaned if needed.
Old February 16, 2024, 01:18 PM   #4
AL45

Thanks for the responses.
Old February 18, 2024, 06:27 PM   #5
jmr40

Those were budget guns when they were new. The internals are cheaply made and they were never intended for a lot of shooting. At that time most casual hunters were a box, 2 at most per year shooters. At that rate the guns would probably last the original owner a lifetime, but not much more.

It probably wouldn't hurt to have someone look at it that is familiar with those guns. But I'd not spend much money on it. If it were mine, it would probably be retired to a wall hanger.

Winston Churchill