The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 28, 2023, 03:46 PM   #1
JJ45

Question on mounting detachable rings, Weaver to Picatinny.

Hello, I recently acquired a new Ruger Mini 30 Tactical carbine.

It came with the usual Ruger medium height rings which are too high for my application since I have a Leupold 1x4-20 I plan on mounting. With the 20mm objective I can get the scope as low as I want it. They also include a rail which is "piccatiny" size

So in order to have the iron sights quickly available I decided on detachable rings. I got Weaver Grand Slams with the paddle release. These are advertised as mediums but they are as low as any (many reviews on these rings said they were actually low, not medium, and they were spot on)

I have used Warne Maximas in the past but always with Warne bases which provided a tighter fit.

I have read two ways of securing Weaver rings to any rail type base; one is to push both rings forward against the recoil slots before tightening (both Weaver and Warne recommend this method) and the other is to push the rings in opposite directions, in theory, opposing one another....which method is advisable?

Mindful the 7.62x39 doesn't have much recoil but the weapon is relatively light.
Old September 28, 2023, 06:43 PM   #2
Polinese

I've always pushed both forward but have no scientific reason for doing this. 1 piece mounts don't have any opposing forces and work just fine.
Old September 29, 2023, 09:14 AM   #3
JJ45

That's what I'm thinking now. As they say "read the manual" All the mfgrs of these rings say push the rings solid towards the muzzle but I guess opinions vary as usual.
Old September 29, 2023, 09:33 AM   #4
ocharry

its a inertia thing

gun recoils under the scope before it moves...so the gun is moving before the scope starts to move...so if the scope rings are pushed forward against the rail lug it cant move...both recoil at the same time

i guess the scope could slide inside the rings if they werent tight enough

my .02

ocharry
Old September 29, 2023, 07:48 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

That's basically it, except that bearing forward assures the gun and rings move together. Both being at the rear leaves space for inertia to nudge the scope forward. Putting one of the mounts to the rear puts all the force overcoming the scope inertia through the other ring rather than sharing it between two of them. It's a weaker configuration.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle