The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2009, 08:38 AM   #1
landcruzr

Building a reloading room-your suggestion?

I'm now building an area of the basement for all my reloading/shooting equipment- I was running out of room in the "closet" I was using before. I will have marble countertops for mounting the presses to(these were aquired for free), and cabinets built into the wall for storage space- Does anyone have suggestions on stuff they would want in their reloading space to make the process easier-things you would change? add? all suggestions appreciated- as I am still in the framing process and can do whatever will fit right now-thanks!!!
I am mostly talking about the design of the space- I have or will aquire all the tools of the trade......
Old March 20, 2009, 09:46 AM   #2
AlaskaMike

The marble countertops certainly would lend some class to the reloading area. I'm not sure how functional they'd be though without some kind of mat. I like having a thin, soft grippy surface on the bench. You might also give some thought to how you mount the marble to avoid cracking it when you're trying to resize a particularly troublesome case, or some other task that requires you to put a lot of pressure on the press handle.

For me, adequate storage space is key. I'm going to be mounting some more shelves above my bench in my garage because I'm starting to accumulate too much stuff on the bench and the floor. A lot of that is because I'm doing more bullet casting than loading though.

Mike
Old March 20, 2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Rembrandt

There are several threads on "reloading bench pics" you might want to go through for ideas.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ighlight=bench

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ighlight=bench

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...showtopic=5485

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=218720

Since you're in the framing and planning stage, now is a good time to plan for the following:

- electrical outlets
- central vacuum system
- compressed air lines
- computer lines
- storage....and more storage
- lighting above loaders and work area
- security system
- gun cleaning area?
- tool and equipment storage
- component storage
- reloading manual storage
- seating (stools?)
- communications (radio-TV-phone-etc)
Old March 20, 2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Flapjack23

Check out this link. Neat slide out he put on it, dont think it would work with marble though.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fo...d.php?t=280444

Last edited by Flapjack23; March 20, 2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Cant spell
Old March 20, 2009, 10:13 AM   #5
ZeSpectre

Rembrandt has a good list.
I would add having a fire extinguisher is a must.

If I were going back to my shop and starting from scratch (and could do anything I wanted), I'd do the following.

1) I would build an enclosure for the tumbler. It would have a layer of sound padding and have a vent fan out the back that would draw dust and such out of the shop and eject it outdoors. (Something like this http://www.watchmakermaurice.com/images/ventbox-1.jpg )

2) I would leave an overhang on my workbench surfaces where you could clamp on a small vice or other tools (like my illuminated magnifying lamp). I built mine with flush edges and that was a mistake.

3) I would build/install a vent hood over the workbench, also venting to the outdoors.

Another bit of advice. "Router padding" is great to have on your workbench as dropped brass (or rounds) tend to hit the pad and stop rather than bouncing onto the floor. Initially I used some old carpet remains but they got dirty awfully fast.
Old March 20, 2009, 11:09 AM   #6
Apache6

I, too, built a reloading room. I will be adding a compressed air line, as that will be very handy. Also, I added a hollow core door, and wish I would have put a solid core door at the least, or a steel door. Put a deadbolt on it. I also have an eyewash in my room. I put a large fire extinguisher just outside the door, because, if a fire starts, I'm headed for the door! Also, place the tumbler outside the room. I built a shelf for a stereo receiver and speakers. As much time as I spend there, a little radio just doesn't cut it.
Make room for a dorm-sized fridge.

Storage, storage, storage. Can't have enough.
Old March 20, 2009, 11:11 AM   #7
landcruzr

Thanks for the list rembrandt-
I am wireless so computer is taken care of,
outlets and lighting are going to be plenty,
radio/tv is taken care- thanks for reminding me about the phone!!!
Security is an excellent idea -didnt think of that

whoever recommended the enclosure for the tumbler-excellent idea-thanks!! the wife is always complaining about that

The marble will have padded areas around the presses much like router pads- so brass doesnt bounce to far away, and the presses themselves will be mounted by drilling holes in the marble- I really dont think the presses are going to move,nor will I be doing any damage to these marble slabs- they are atleast 1" thick, and I'm guessing each piece of marble will be about 200 lbs after I cut width
Old March 20, 2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Apache6

I hung a 4X8 sheet of perfboard behind the press horizontally so all my tools are handy.
Old March 20, 2009, 01:39 PM   #9
zeisloft

I'd advise you use 3/4" plywood as underlayment for the marble as it has some "give". If you bolt the press straight to the marble the torque of running the press will eventually fatigue and crack the marble. Additionally, frame everything out top with the ply and take at least a month or so using the press mounted to the plywood. Believe me, you will eventually find a "better" place for the press or decide "a few inches to the left gives me more room for this little gadget/operation I hadnt anticipated". Better than having a fancy marble top with 20some-odd holes in it. I'm still deciding if I want to move stuff around before I put the hardwood top to mine and it has been a year. Good luck!
~zDSCN1423.jpg

DSCN1424.jpg

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old March 20, 2009, 02:54 PM   #10
Mr Odd Six

I use a 2 foot square folding cafe table, and tackle boxes.

Totally mobile.

Ammo to go
Old March 20, 2009, 02:56 PM   #11
wwmkwood

When planing your outlets consider where you will put your digital scale, some have rather short cords.
Old March 20, 2009, 03:21 PM   #12
remshooter

When I built my room in the basement I built two benches, one for reloading and the other for gun cleaning/work and they are on opposite sides of the room.
That way I will not allow myself to muddle up the work space with something that does not belong there.
One wall is for my gun racks and the other is shelves.

Good luck and post a picture when you get it finished.
Old March 20, 2009, 04:44 PM   #13
Lunicy

I work with marble and granite alot. I cant say I'd recommend mounting a press to it. Marble is pretty strong under pressure, but under tension (Which would happen while using the press) it is very brittle and weak. If you drill holes in the marble to mount the press, I'd back the whole area with 3/4 ply (ex a small press like RCBS or Lee would have two or three holes in a 4" area, I'd back it with a 16" square of ply) Also, do the same up top. Marble just isn't meant for this and if you mount a press to it, I think you will be disappointed.

If it were me, I'd cut a 12" or so section out of the counter and fill it with a 2" piece of oak (firmly attached to the cabinets/ framing underneath)
Old March 20, 2009, 05:30 PM   #14
oneounceload

NO CARPET!....Whatever you're loading - pistol, rifle or shotshell.....NO CARPET

Let me repeat myself in case you missed it....NO CARPET!!!!....

after that. make sure your bench is at the proper height for whatever seat you're using, whether chair or barstool......

Smooth surfaces, figure out how much room between machines and double it....tops that are kitchen counter depth OR DEEPER work very well......EXTRA support underneath

I used 3/4" marine-grade plywood (7 layer), glued and screwed to the counter top, bolted to industrial shelving (gorilla rack).....I'm 6-3 and 250, I can stand on the very edge and the top or rack does not move......you want ZERO flex in the counter top.....

Post pics when you get it done
Old March 20, 2009, 07:30 PM   #15
rg1

Rule number one: Don't let the wife see all the storage space and fill a big wooden storage cabinet with her quilts. Don't let the wife tell you to move all your spare clothes to the reloading room. (or you'll end up like me)
- Solid door with deadbolt locks with keys not readily available to others.
- Some say flourescent lighting effects their electronics like scales. I don't have a problem with mine. You need lighting directly over the bench and also light from behind your chair. Also, if you use an electronic scale you want your electrical circuit to be isolated and not tied to the laundry room or other appliances that cycle on and off.
- a separate "unattached" bench at the appropriate height for electronic scales as they don't respond well to vibrations from press operation etc.
- Separate cabinet or storage for powders and primers as you only want the powder and primer you currently are loading anywhere NEAR your loading bench
- as far as carpet, I like the idea of an area rug that can be taken outside. I find that a dropped primer or case onto concrete in my room is just as hard to find as they always seem to roll or bounce somewhere. Carpet is up to you.
- comfortable chair that raises and lowers and a bench height that is comfortable sitting and operating the press and other gadgets. I do all loading sitting except shotshell where I do stand. I wouldn't have a tumbler/vibratory case cleaner inside my living area period. Either outside or in the garage is the only place I'd put one.
Old March 20, 2009, 08:00 PM   #16
the foot

Tabletop- I'm not so sure about using marble for the table surface, since that material may crack/break. My reload table has a 2-inch solid oak top, with a 4 inch overhang. I think it would be more advantageous to attach reload tools to heavy wood than to marble.

Lighting- on my reload table I mounted two of those lamps with "elbows", where you can bring the light directly over your work at the height you choose. That is the best kind of lighting I have ever used for reloading.

Use the reloading table for reloading only, as much as possible.
Old March 22, 2009, 12:08 AM   #17
landcruzr

the wall is up- and one of the built in cabinets is done- that already made my space look smaller than I thought it would be-not to mention the mrs wanted it moved in to make everything on my side smaller!!-the plan for the primary bench is 24" deep- there seems to be mixed opinion on the marble idea- but think I'm going to stick with it- as I said before this isnt standard countertop marble- they were slabs from a bathroom and were used as partitions of some sort- and are much thicker than a typical counter top- I do like the idea of backing them with a chunk of solid wood- that should distribute any force on the edge enough to protect it
Shelving and storage space is going to be plentiful!! I have plans for a lot of little shelves in all the little corners of this odd shaped room, and a full set of cabinets that will run along the wall above the bench- also wil have 1(maybe 2) other benches in the room- thanks for everyhting so far- and If I ever figure out how to post pictures, I'll try to keep a running record of progress as it occurrs!
Thanks to all for the suggestions so far- some very helpful ideas I hadnt thought of
Old March 22, 2009, 12:59 AM   #18
olddrum1

The marble would look spiffiy but I believe it would not last the first month. Save that for another project. I have two inch thick maple chop block for my presses and 1/4 thick 3 inch angle. It goes no where. Also I have a small Porter cable air compressor and a 1 gallon shop vac under the bench. I have a very large cooler for a seat infront of the presses. This provides storage for about 5000 wads of assorted kinds. Ditto on the stereo also.
Old March 22, 2009, 06:25 AM   #19
flashhole

My primary bench where I mount my presses is 38" tall, 24" wide and 72" long. It's a good funcional bench but some day I will build one that raises the press height to about 45". I'm 5'9" tall, what I have works well but during long sessions at the bench I get some neck fatigue from looking down that could be eliminated with a taller bench.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old March 22, 2009, 09:03 PM   #20
ballardw

Heavy duty slide out shelves. I find that ammo/powder/bullet storage quickly ends up with the thing I want next is behind/under something else even with shallow shelves.

Compartments for twice as many components/dies as you think likely to need.
Old March 26, 2009, 08:03 PM   #21
pbratton

I just got through building a reloading bench and have to tell you about my counter top:

Found a guy in town that had 8' 8" x 36" formica doors from a commercial building demolition. Paid $40 bucks.

Built a sturdy base and laid her on top.
Old March 26, 2009, 08:55 PM   #22
fatboy02

???? carpet

Not trying to hijack your thread but why no carpet? Is it static?
Old March 27, 2009, 09:15 AM   #23
bub75

Provided you have the room to do so, make it bigger than you think you will ever need. For me, it never seems to matter how big I make a bench, it ends up not being big enough. Also, more storage space is always better.

Bub
Old March 27, 2009, 10:04 AM   #24
robfromga

I would avoid the marble it will crack, no doubt. I'm a master plumber and have worked around lots of marble tops and slabs of all kinds of thickness. Just like the other poster said. It will break, guaranteed. When you drill it, then bolt the press to it, when its is cycled it will snap or crack. I guess that the 1st few hard primmers you decap will pop that slab.
Old March 27, 2009, 04:28 PM   #25
Corn dodger

Don't forget the Dillon calender with pretty girls, that way you stay COOL.