The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 20, 2024, 05:15 PM   #1
Reef

New Marlin 1895 SBL hard to cycle

Just test fired my new 1895.  I've been waiting for this particular gun for some time now and I have to say, I'm a little disappointed.  The ammo is Remington Core-Lokt 405gr SP.  I loaded up the tube with 6 rounds, very smooth loading, no issues.  Fired the first round and tried to cycle, the lever would not move at first.  Then it opened and ejected the spent brass.  Second round fired and ejected normally, but not the third and last one, the lever just seemed stuck.  Anyone having similar issues with this gun?
Old January 22, 2024, 11:40 AM   #2
ballardw

How rapidly did you work the action? Some of the lever guns like a bit of "oomph" and running them soft and slow may cause issues with extraction/ejection.
Old January 22, 2024, 11:51 AM   #3
jetinteriorguy

I’ll play devils advocate and ask the obvious, did you clean and lube it before shooting it for the first time?
Old January 22, 2024, 03:48 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

First question, how did you unload the 3 rounds you didn't fire??

IF you cycled them through the action, how did it work then? Normal or sticky?

It may be that the gun is new and fitted "tight" and will need some break in, before becoming smooth working.
Old January 22, 2024, 07:10 PM   #5
jmr40

Marlin lever actions typically are stiff and need some breaking in. Oil it up, make sure it's unloaded and give it a few hundred dry fires while cycling the action.

What you describe sounds a little like the "Marlin Jam". Lever guns are quite complex with lots of moving parts. A fairly common jam with Marlins happens when some of the internal parts are a little sloppy. Sometimes from the factory, sometimes from use.

The lever binds in the open position and won't close. Sometimes you have to move the lever forward and give it a little jiggle to get it to close. If that is the case, I'd consider it a factory defect on a new rifles and contact the manufacturer.

Winston Churchill
Old January 26, 2024, 07:22 AM   #6
Reef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballardw View Post
How rapidly did you work the action? Some of the lever guns like a bit of "oomph" and running them soft and slow may cause issues with extraction/ejection.
I could not move the lever while in the shooting position, muzzle pointed down range, stock pressed at the shoulder.
Old January 26, 2024, 07:25 AM   #7
Reef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
Marlin lever actions typically are stiff and need some breaking in. Oil it up, make sure it's unloaded and give it a few hundred dry fires while cycling the action.

What you describe sounds a little like the "Marlin Jam". Lever guns are quite complex with lots of moving parts. A fairly common jam with Marlins happens when some of the internal parts are a little sloppy. Sometimes from the factory, sometimes from use.

The lever binds in the open position and won't close. Sometimes you have to move the lever forward and give it a little jiggle to get it to close. If that is the case, I'd consider it a factory defect on a new rifles and contact the manufacturer.
The rifle has been returned to Marlin for warranty service, clearly something was not right with it. I'll post an update when the service is complete.
Old January 26, 2024, 01:11 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I could not move the lever while in the shooting position, muzzle pointed down range, stock pressed at the shoulder.
yeah, that one needs to go back to the factory.

A LITTLE stiff or feeling "sticky" might well be something that just needs to be worked and "broken in". Lever stuck?? Jammed so you can't work it?? Time for warranty work at the factory.
Old February 9, 2024, 10:15 AM   #9
Reef

Update

Yesterday I got my Marlin back from warranty service to address the difficulties in cycling the lever.
Notes from the factory:
Replaced loading gate and extractor.
Repaired headspace.
After repair, firearm was function fired 12 rounds of Remington without malfunction.