The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 21, 2023, 06:37 PM   #26
wachtelhund1

Well I guess there was never a recall for the Win 88. That settles it.
Old September 27, 2023, 08:38 PM   #27
bamaranger

surprised

As the Win 88 was discontinued in 1973, I am surprised that there is anybody left at "new" Winchester that had anything to do with that rifle. There are of course, records of all kinds.
Old September 28, 2023, 01:03 AM   #28
wachtelhund1

People are there and they are handling Winchester recalls. Two years ago, they sent me a Win 100 firing pin and check for $30.00 to have it replaced.
Old September 28, 2023, 06:51 AM   #29
pricedo

The 88s have a very strong action ... they're actually lever actuated bolt actions ... the closest modern rifle currently manufactured is the BLR (made by Miroku) ... I prefer the 88s 1-piece stock over the 2-piece stock of the BLR
Old September 29, 2023, 05:30 AM   #30
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricedo View Post
The 88s have a very strong action ... they're actually lever actuated bolt actions ... the closest modern rifle currently manufactured is the BLR (made by Miroku) ... I prefer the 88s 1-piece stock over the 2-piece stock of the BLR
The Henry Long Rangers are also a rotary locking bolt action.
Old September 29, 2023, 02:41 PM   #31
canucklehead

Haven't owned a Henry but I have owned 4 BLRs now. The first 3 were pre 81s, 1 a Belgian (FN?) and the other 2 Mirokus. I really liked those guns, not really sure why I decided to get rid of them. The Belgium one I never even fired.

The last was an 81 lightweight, I am in the process of selling it. I would possibly like it as much as the pre 81s except for the aluminum receiver, just can't get past that.

I took the 88 in for headspace and test fire, they checked the headspace and said it was fine to fire, as far as I know they checked the headspace, did not test fire it and did not even charge me.

I put my Redfield Revolution scope on, boresighted and took it out to sight it in. I was trying to get it good at 25 yds to start with, first it was low left, then I turned it too far and it was high right and then I turned it the wrong way and it was off the paper so I'll have to start over. But I fired it several times, it's fine.
Old October 27, 2023, 01:37 PM   #32
canucklehead

Final word?

When I bought this rifle i had been looking for a 270 LH bolt action. There were a few models on my short list but was not having much luck finding one reasonably priced. the supply of left handed bolt actions seems pretty short around here lately.

At one point I found a LH Tikka T3 SS 6.5 Swede which I bought. So far I'm really liking this one despite the amount of plastic on it.

When I saw the 88 at an auction I thought what the hell, I've been curious about those for a while having been a long time BLR owner.

I bid conservatively, but there was 5 in the auction and the only one that went cheaper than mine had a HUGE crack in the stock that was stapled together. I think I got the best of the lot.

I had put the Redfield scope on it but ended up putting the Weaver K4 back on when I sighted in. I was quite pleased and surprised to shoot a .8" group at 100 yards with Federal Fusion 150gr ammo.

I tried shooting some 125gr Nosler BT which grouped as well but surprisingly shot 4" lower than the 150s despite being 250 fps faster.

Since then I found a nice condition Ruger M77 LH 270, one that I'd been looking for. So now I have 3 rifles vying for favourite. I suppose if I take to Winchester hunting it will only be occasionally, if I hang on to it it will only be because I like it so much.
Old November 23, 2023, 08:52 AM   #33
Picher

It's definitely a view of the case rim; however, it appears to be perfectly normal. When the bolt comes forward to support the combustion, it locks in place behind a chambered cartridge and is normal. Unless the portion of the rim doesn't appear, there would be no way for the semi-automatic action could guide a new cartridge from the magazine into the chamber.

If a case is ruptured, the only way for hot gases to go would be downward, away from the shooter's face. That's a very good thing!!!

Don't worry...be happy!!!

J. Picher, Maine
Old January 23, 2024, 09:23 AM   #34
pricedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin View Post
The Model 88 (and the semi-auto Model 100) was subject to a safety recall some years ago.

Unmodified rifles are considered to be unsafe until they are modified.

You can find a lot of information on the web. Google Winchester 88 safety recall.
... I have a Winchester model 100 with a 4 digit serial number bought new in 1961 ... it ran for over 60 years with the "old" firing pin and now it's purportedly unsafe ... I wonder how many real incidents of catastrophic failure the recall was based on?
Old January 25, 2024, 03:39 PM   #35
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I wonder how many real incidents of catastrophic failure the recall was based on?
Even one would be too many, don't you think??

Note the precise words used, "considered unsafe" is not the same as stating it is unsafe. It is "considered unsafe" because some did break so yours COULD, and despite 60 years of it being fine, it COULD break 60 years from now, or the next time you pull the trigger. They don't know, and can't say for certain, so they consider it unsafe, because of that.

ITs a cya thing as much as anything, I think.
Old January 26, 2024, 02:56 PM   #36
bamaranger

following

I've been following this thread and as I've commented earlier, I have a M88 early production which is an heirloom and much loved.

Searching the web, their are instances of folks reporting a M88 firing pin breaking, usually having a heck of a time replacing one when it does. There are a few folks reporting that they contacted Winchester regards the M100 recall and receiving a pin and a $30 check to cover the labor. Some of this is as recently as 2018.

There is also some chatter about the M88 "firing on its own" which is bantered about until the thing can just go off while just setting there and the issue is the safety mechanism. As near as I can interpret, that is pure baloney and may be a combination of the Rem 700 issue from about the same era.

I haven't read anything about a free pin for a M88. I have read that the M88 and the M100 firing pins were interchangeable after a certain point in production. I suspect that because they were interchangeable , and there was instances of M88 breakage, that the "gossip" of the day evolved that the M88 had a recall as well. A member here has stated he has spoken with Winchester and they do not advise of a recall on the M88......only the M100. During the era in question, I was hunting a M88 a good bit, and reading all the current periodicals. I do not recall a notice on the lever rifle, only the auto M100. The issue with the M100 was that it could slam fire.

So.....I suspect that the M88 firing pin is a bit more susceptible to breakage than one might like. I further suspect that because the M88 is manually operated that a resulting slam fire from a pin breaking or burring is unlikely. I do not believe there is an issue with the manual safety, as alleged on other forums, at all. If your M88 firing pin breaks, you MIGHT be able to replace it with a M100 pin. Whether or not Winchester would provide you with a M100 pin for your M88, and if it would interchange in your rifle is another matter. I'd be willing to try. THIS IS ALL SUPPOSITION AND INTERPRETATION.

Somewhat similarly, looking at images of the M100/M88 firing pins, it would seem to me that a talented machinist could make one, certainly if he had an existing pin to copy. It might cost a fortune but seems possible.

I would follow up on a M100 if I intended to hunt and shoot one for sure.
Old January 26, 2024, 02:58 PM   #37
bamaranger

tonight

I might take Grandpa's M88 hunting this afternoon, all because of this thread!