The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 11, 2009, 10:34 AM   #1
joeythefish

Newb Question

Okay, I've reloaded maybe 200 rounds for my .45 ACP. So I'm still wet behind the ear in comparison you most of you guys. The info for those are:
-Winchester 230 GR RN FMJ
-Titegroup 4.7 grains
-Winchester once fired cases
-OAL 1.260"
-Crimp .471"
-They all fed, fired and extracted perfectly with my Kimber Custom II.

What I'm trying to do now is reload using pretty much the same setup except I've got a box of 250ct. Berry's (.452" 200GR RS) bullets.

Here's the link to Berry's description of the bullet: http://www.berrysmfg.com/product.asp...p=12&sb=0&p=0#

And here's the bullet:

I'm having a problem figuring out the OAL for this kind of bullet. For reloading manuals I've got Lymans, Hornady,Accurate, Loadbooks .45 ACP. Berry's website says use the reloading characteristics for a bullet of similar weight and profile. I've found dozens with the same weight but none really with the same profile except maybe a 200 GR JHP. Should I use the JHP OAL? Like I said I'm still learning so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by joeythefish; April 11, 2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old April 11, 2009, 10:40 AM   #2
Jim Watson

The "profile" only matters as it affects the seating depth. If you are not after maximum loads, just use a moderate charge of Titegroup as shown for some 200 grain bullet.
Old April 11, 2009, 10:48 AM   #3
joeythefish

I'm sorry, I was wondering about the OAL for that kind of a profile. I failed to mention that earlier, so I edited it in. My bad.

Last edited by joeythefish; April 11, 2009 at 10:57 AM.