The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 18, 2009, 09:16 AM   #1
Wallabing

Is my 870 barrel defective? Ball detent questions

Does the ball detent on a 870 barrel move up and down perfectly 90 degrees vertically, or is it at a slight angle? Mine is at a slight angle.

I just noticed this, and it could be why a month ago when I first got this 870 why the magazine cap was almost impossible to remove.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=331067

If someone knows, might I have a defective barrel? I have a headache all over agian, if it does turn out to be defective, gunsmith time?

Last edited by Wallabing; February 18, 2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old February 18, 2009, 07:32 PM   #2
MAX100

It should be straight. If it moves in and out easily it should be ok. Mag caps and tube extensions are hard to remove on an 870 with a detent if they have been over tightened. With a detent, you only have to tighten them with a little bit of torque.

GC
Old February 20, 2009, 09:08 AM   #3
Scattergun Bob

Wallabing

By your picture you DO have a defective magazine cap retainer (ball detent), it is quite common. This part is machine installed and is one of the 20 or so additional quality control checks used in the Police flavor of 870's.

The problem is caused be uneven pressure applied when staking the retainer into the barrel hold down and can be easily fixed by re-staking. You can purchase a staking tool from Brownells pg 417, or run it by your local 870 doctor for a quick fix. This condition is not a serious hindrance to the function of your 870, it will mar the bottom of the mag cap, if you are using a Remington mag extension, I highly recommend fixing the problem, their cap nuts are a little wimpy.

Good Luck & Be Safe