The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 21, 2005, 07:12 PM   #26
kymasabe

OK..well, thanks for the input at least. For the record, we heard a noise, thought it MIGHT be the door. My dog goes crazy when there is someone on the front porch BEFORE they ring the bell and she was quiet, on the floor next to me. I have some faith in my dogs ability to warn me of visitors. The .380 was what I had handy at the moment (in my pocket). I didn't want to take the time to go get the 9mm from across the house. We (dog and I) exited out a different door on the side out of the house, NOT the same door that just rattled. We get alot of people hanging door-hanger advertisements so thought it was probably one of them, that's why we weren't too alarmed, just checking things out casually, but armed. Didn't find anything or anyone so thought threat was over, wasn't even sure there was a threat. At that point I wasn't about to lock myself in my house, barricade myself in a room with the family, armed to the teeth, waiting for the cops to arrive. Wan't until an hour later when my wife was out and saw the K9's that I thought something might be up. She did her errand (not in our neighborhood) and came right home and I called the police while she was gone after she called about the K9's. Was later in the night she saw someone running thru the yard and THEN I was ready with the 9mm + dog + 4-cell Maglite. Turns out the neighbors parents were in Vegas and their teen son had a few friends over, one was goofing around and running thru the yards knocking on windows. Little freak is lucky he didn't get himself shot that night...and I told him so the next day when I found out. Darn near pooped his pants when he found out.

I know some of you hardcore fanatics think I should have put on my body armour, loaded up the AK and a few 1911's, maybe a .44-mag, night vision goggles and all that but...give me a break. I did what I thought was appropriate for the threat level at the time.
Old September 21, 2005, 07:26 PM   #27
MRex21

You protected your family. End of story. Well done.

You're an honorable man.
Old September 21, 2005, 07:50 PM   #28
tsavo

"A valid point.....except for two things.

1. Kids or others who are toilet papering do not make a habit of trying out other people's doorknobs.

2. Toilet papering is usually not the type of thing that a police K9 will deploy for. IIRC, the original poster stated that K9 was running in the area."

He isn't even sure he heard the door. He was watching tv, I doubt he heard the door knob turn unless he has the rustiest door knob on the face of the earth.
Old September 21, 2005, 07:56 PM   #29
boogeyman

you did a good job looking out for the family. i've done that same thing before. i just prefer to lock all doors leaving gf inside with phone and gun. all motion sensor lights get thrown on then the boxer and i have a look see. these guys who are critiquing you are the same guys that would stay in their homes if they saw gunfire going off in yours. were you tactical ... who cares... at least you have a heart. it is rare that someone takes full advantage of the second amendment and searches their own property!

God Bless
Old September 21, 2005, 08:14 PM   #30
Powderman

Quote:
these guys who are critiquing you are the same guys that would stay in their homes if they saw gunfire going off in yours.
Indeed.

Please read my profile--then, perhaps you might rethink that. Moreover, there are other people who have replied who do the same thing that I do.

Folks like me have this awful tendency to run toward the sound of gunfire, instead of away from it.

Again, kymsabe, no slam was intended. It is the same as critiquing someone who does a training exercise. You pick their performance apart, and make them run the scenario again because the saying is true--the more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.
Old September 22, 2005, 04:06 PM   #31
panzer426

funny...so was I. last night my dog (a 2 year old german shepherd imported from belgium and highly trained by me thank you ) went nuts last night and I swore I heard a bang (in my half asleep state I thought it sounded like someone kicking the door but was aware that it might have come from a neighbors yard or garage). I turned on the light and let him out of the bedroom and on my way out of the bedroom turned on the living room light, with big mag light in hand as a club since I wasnt scared enough to carry the 12 gauge around the house. turned on the outside lights and first let the dog do a sweep of the backyard (fenced) then we went into the front yard (both trips outside were after turning on the outside flood lights and peeking through all the windows) and while in the front yard I noticed that my next door neighbor was sweeping around with his little plastic flashlight in nothing but his boxers, and neighbor across the street had his rottweiler with him doing the same thing (couldnt see it but after speaking with him found out he had his wilson combat in his pants/holster) they both heard the same thing but next door neighbor was last to come out, I was second. next door neighbor swore he heard laughing and voices before and after the load bang on his door. the two dogs (my gsd and neighbors rottie) were both on high alert and wanting to follow a trail. guy across the street had already called the cop around the block (a state cop) who told us that our county (here in louisiana they are called parishes) has had a 40-70% increase in crime in the last 2 weeks. houses burglarized, cars stollen and/or broken into. they are not making it public knowledge though so as to not panic the locals. we live in far north eastern louisiana, no we are not natives and it is temporary. anyway...come to find out 5 doors down a house got broken into and a bunch of jewelry, cash and tvs etc stollen later that night, apparently while we were talking to the state cop.
from now me and the guy across the street will be sleeping lightly and with an outside light on all night. I seriously doubt they will come back and pretty sure they didnt touch our houses because as soon as we heard the bang we flipped the light switches and in my house and guy across the street the dogs started raising hell. next door neighbor said he wished he had a big noisy dog now.
shotguns and pistol staid locked up in the bedroom and my wife was ready to unlock them and defend herself. if I had been sure that someone was in the house the bedroom door would have been locked, wife would have been holding the dog with one hand and dialing 911 with the other while I kept one of the shotguns aimed at the door.
in this case I figured a teenager was playing pranks or maybe I had mis heard the noise and a neighbor was knocking at the door.
Old September 24, 2005, 11:53 AM   #32
Wraith

I can't be critical of Kymasabe's actions.

Last year I heard a couple of loud bangs on the front door at 2:30 in the morning. I quickly got up, dressed quickly in jeans and a jacket (it was cold), grabbed my 590 and german shepard. I searched the house top-down, checked all the windows on the ground floor and sat by the door for a few minutes. Slowly and quietly I got up, opened the door and went outside with my dog--closing the door behind me, still locked. All lights were off outside and because I had been sitting in the dark my eyes were accustomed to it (I can see very well in the dark). I waited for this very reason. I carefully circled my house being aware to what was behind me. After not finding anything I let myself in, searched the house again and waited for another hour.

I have seen it written to never leave one's house, but I do not see the problems with my actions. As such I will not criticize Kymasabe’s actions; rather I feel he acted admirably and was wise to maintain a high alert.

Never Forget 9/11.

Cold dead hands...
Old September 27, 2005, 04:05 AM   #33
sreising

I know I'm getting in pretty late on this one, but it was quite interesting to me as a read.

I thought that maybe you guys would want to "hear" what a lady would say in the same instance.

Yes, always, first and foremost....have a plan. That, to me, to me is priority #1. Both adults in the home may be a competition shot, but it doesn't mean diddly if everyone doesn't know their "places" and can assume those positions, when and if a threat arises.

Always have a contingency plan to the first. Sometimes Plan B can be the saviour of Plan A.

As for us? It's pretty simple. I grab the baby and put her in the bed with me. We both have phones. The husband, a Marine I'll add, grabs the 9mm and the dog. Yeah, he's only a black lab, not a g.s., rotties, pit, etc...but I must admit that my Bear boy is crazy as all get out and will attack upon command, hair raised, eyes shining red.
The dalmatian stays with us in the bedroom. Again, not an attack breed, but overly protective and can hear and point better than a darn setter. lol

I am armed with a pistol-gripped semi-auto 12ga riot pump. Loaded: slug, buck shot, bird, bird, buck, slug, slug. The daughter has been taught that if mommie raises her weapon, she is to lay as tight against the bed as possible and play "peek-a-boo" with the sheets.
We also have code words...pretty simple as well..."Clear", "Ready", "FAW" (fire at will), "Down", "Call". It gives us both an understanding of what is going on as well as gives us an idea of each other's position and distance to one another.

Just a view as a lady.

As far as this particular situation, yeah, I see a few things I would change. Then again, as a lady, I would be proud of my husband for getting active about it. You know, there are a lot of pretty boys out there that are too chicken-**** to even get out of the bed or off the couch. They'd rather grab the phone, hide under the bed, and hope for the best.

Huggles,
Shan
Old September 28, 2005, 02:51 AM   #34
SAXD9

I guess I'm wrong too, because everytime something gets my dogs stirred up outside I go out with my gun in one hand and my 3cell maglite in the other.

Out in the country where I live, you either take care of it yourself, or you call the Sheriffs Dept and wait 30-45 minutes for them to get there.
Norinco SKS/ Wolf 7.62x39 FMJ
Old October 7, 2005, 10:36 PM   #35
migrantmigraine

Give the guy a break!
Apparently was in a residential neighborhood (or whatever they call the places with houses in every direction). That means relatively close-quarters. And the guy's possibly near the door. Anybody try to wield a long-barrel shotgun quickly? Try spinning the thing 180 degrees, avoiding a wall and any posts or trees that might be in your way. Yes, it's swell when it's already pointed in the right direction - and excellent power, too. Same goes for field artillery and B-52 bombers. Look, this guy may be in the bushes, ready to jump on you. Deflecting a shotgun barrel's not hard. A short pistol's a lot harder to run into the muzzle of. A pistol's a lot quicker to turn around than some big shotgun or rifle of non-class-3 length (especially those 8-round Remingtons). A sawed-off 10-ga double-barrel would probably be a better pick - or a uzi.
Old October 10, 2005, 06:20 AM   #36
sreising

I agree. Exactly why I have the "big boy" in the bedroom with me, and the hubby takes the handgun outside.

Shan
Old October 10, 2005, 08:28 AM   #37
Mikkel

Relax....

Most of you seem to be a bit paranoid. It must be tough to see enemies everywhere and never be able to relax at home or go out of the house without a gun. FFS!! Build bigger prisons and spend more money on shrinks!!
And please dont come with the stuff that your protecting your family, yourself, friends, neighbourhood etc etc..... Over here we use your guns for hunting and sports. We dont tote around with em at all times and therfore there is less **** and not many nutcases.
Old October 10, 2005, 08:50 AM   #38
sreising

Easy to say as a Norweigan. The cost of living in Norway is relatively high, with not a lot of fluctuation between the "rural" areas versus the metropolitan areas. Therefore, it can be said that the percentage of would-be assailants would be less per thousand residents.

As well, on the whole, Norway's criminal penalties are fairly more strict that the US. Penalties for breaking the law are sometimes a bit more than the word "tad" severe for the same crime as committed from Norway to the US.

So, I can understand where you are coming from being from Norway, but I think you may want to research a little more in-depth using a balanced statistical model of both populations before coming to a conclusion as such you have.

Shan
Old October 10, 2005, 09:07 AM   #39
OBIWAN

I would agree that the tactics suck ...assuming you thought you were really in danger.

I also agree that the criticism of those tactics could have been better conveyed.

But notice that the story changed in the retelling....suddenly the situation seems much less dangerous....

From ..."we heard the doornob turning" to "we heard something like the doornob turning"...and the fact that the dog was not concerned is telling IMHO

Very different....your tactics are more appropriate for the latter situation

Tell it a few more times and it may turn into a "I heard a funny noise" story

Call me complacent, but I don't even get my pistol out for those!
Old October 10, 2005, 06:39 PM   #40
Hollywood D

Had a similar thing happen at my home when I lived in Cincinnati. I wasn't actually there at the time but my brother and sister were. Back door was unlocked and my brother was watching TV and walked out into the kitchen to hear the door knob being turned and saw a silhouette of a person standing at the door. Luckily the guy took off when he saw my brother but my brother locked the door, grabbed my sister, called 911 and stayed in the house. Sheriff's dept showed up and looked around but found no one.

Sure, sometimes it's kind of a thrill to go looking for someone in the dark, but when you or someone else are using guns, stakes are at their highest. Me personally, I would have peeped out the windows and looked around and probably would have stayed in the house. I'm not going to criticize what you did.
Old October 10, 2005, 11:01 PM   #41
tanksoldier

Mikkel: How does YOU not having a gun keep SOMEONE ELSE from being a nutcase?

"We dont tote around with em at all times and therfore there is less **** and not many nutcases."

GEN George S. Patton, Jr.
Old October 11, 2005, 04:55 AM   #42
Mikkel

He he he...... i have several guns at my disposal at home and at work. And according to Norwegian standards i guess im a nutcase But to US standards im an average joe What i was saying is that it seems you are a bit paranoid i the US since you see BGs everywhere.
Old October 14, 2005, 07:42 PM   #43
Michael

I suppose I'm really holding the tail end charlie title on this post, read it just now with interest.

Did want to comment on Mikkel's views, which have, I think, a valid point, absent facts not available due to lack of proximity.

Mikkel, in the United States, one (1) of every twenty-eight (28) adults in the populace is in county, state or federal confinement. Of that 1/5th of the population, 20 percent of those are in jail convicted of violent crimes.

In my state of Texas, 1 in 20 persons is confined for crimes with a penalty of 1 year or more in jail, and of those, 32 percent are in jail for violent crimes such as aggrevated assault, armed robbery, rape, murder, capitol murder.

So yes, we do see bad guys wherever we look.

BTW< I live in a rural area. A shots fired call to 911 results in an average response time of 48 minutes.

I go outside.

Mike
Granbury, Texas
Old October 14, 2005, 08:28 PM   #44
rapier144

hind sight is 20/20