The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 6, 2022, 11:03 AM   #1
Glockmeister19xc

6.5 Creedmoor neck tension

Will purchasing small die set increase neck tension and help stop bullet creep in semi - auto?
Old December 6, 2022, 11:44 AM   #2
lugerstew

Are you putting a decent crimp on each round? Is there a cannelure on the bullets to crimp on?
Old December 6, 2022, 12:21 PM   #3
Glockmeister19xc

Bullets with cannelure .003 creep without.1 creep
Old December 6, 2022, 01:02 PM   #4
Shadow9mm

Get the lee factory crimp die. In testing on johnnies reloading bench it had no effect on accuracy at several crimp ammounts. And it can be used on bullets without cannelures
https://youtu.be/wnZWv38cNKw
Old December 6, 2022, 01:03 PM   #5
tangolima

0.003" and 0.1"? That's quite a bit. Are you using neck sizing die?

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old December 6, 2022, 01:20 PM   #6
lugerstew

You might want to measure the necks od. before seating with an accurate caliper, then measure the neck od again after seating the bullet, the increase in diameter is your approximate neck tension.
Old December 6, 2022, 06:50 PM   #7
Nathan

Can you link to the “small die set”? I’m not sure what you mean.

Typically one plays with neck tension with a bushing fl sizing die like the Redding type S die.
Old December 6, 2022, 08:01 PM   #8
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Can you link to the “small die set”? I’m not sure what you mean.

Typically one plays with neck tension with a bushing fl sizing die like the Redding type S die.
Im guessing small base die set.
Old December 6, 2022, 08:17 PM   #9
reynolds357

Only way I know of to play with neck tension is a bushing die.
Old December 7, 2022, 12:56 PM   #10
Bart B.

You are referring to what is called the bullet pull force, usually in pounds, needed to remove it from the case. From SAAMI's glossary....

BULLET PULL
The force required to extract a bullet from the case into which it was loaded.

For a given interference fit dimension, soft brass needs less force to pull it out than hard brass.

A 30 caliber bullet has a cross section area of 1/13th square inch so it needs about 13 psi in the case for every pound of force needed to push it out.

Last edited by Bart B.; December 7, 2022 at 01:24 PM.
Old December 8, 2022, 06:22 AM   #11
jetinteriorguy

If you use the Lee Collet neck sizing die you can get an undersized mandrel for it to increase neck tension if you want. Or as mentioned use a crimp.

Last edited by jetinteriorguy; December 10, 2022 at 06:02 AM.
Old December 8, 2022, 08:00 AM   #12
zeke

It is doubtful a sb die will increase neck tension, unless the the neck expanding bushing is removed. You can try reducing the dia of the neck expander, replacing it with a smaller dia one, or removing it altogether. If not expanding the neck as much, you may need to consider some adjustments to make seating the bullets straight easier. A redding comp seater works well, or Lyman neck expander in smaller caliber.

The sb sizing dies am familiar with are just to reduce the case body to original dimensions, which many resizing dies do not do.

And yes, you can increase the neck tension too much.

Last edited by zeke; December 8, 2022 at 11:51 AM.
Old December 9, 2022, 06:57 AM   #13
hooligan1

6.5 Creedmoor Neck Tension

Although I do not have numbers to go along with my findings, I do have targets to keep records..
I found that my Creedmoor rifle prefered to have necks annealed every time before resizing.. I couldnt get anything less than MOA with multiple bullet/powder combos before I annealed those necks.. Ive tried every brand of brass except Lapua, and at their price, looks like it will remain that way.
I haven't figured out why it prefers it exactly, but thats one step you may try and see if it helps..
Also you can chuck that expander in a drill and take a smidge off it...
Old December 9, 2022, 11:23 AM   #14
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan1 View Post
Although I do not have numbers to go along with my findings, I do have targets to keep records..
I found that my Creedmoor rifle prefered to have necks annealed every time before resizing.. I couldnt get anything less than MOA with multiple bullet/powder combos before I annealed those necks.. Ive tried every brand of brass except Lapua, and at their price, looks like it will remain that way.
I haven't figured out why it prefers it exactly, but thats one step you may try and see if it helps..
Also you can chuck that expander in a drill and take a smidge off it...
The Only Creedmoor I have loaded is Lapua. I have never annealed it. Primer pockets usually take it out at 12 to 15 loadings. My rifle shoots bugs with it.
(Correction,) I did have some Hornady brass once but I loaded it for a pencil thin ultra light rifle. It shot it about a MOA. All I ever get out of those contour barrels.
Old December 9, 2022, 03:47 PM   #15
tangolima

I have Hornady brass for 6.5 Creedmore. Never have experienced neck tension issue. I'm using Lyman full length resizing die. Going in is rough, and I noticed brass being shaved off from the outside of the neck. The neck wall in those brass is thick, 0.013" minimum. So I turn it down to 0.012".

My rifle is a RPR with 24" barrel. About 0.5moa at 100yd.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old December 9, 2022, 04:26 PM   #16
gwpercle

The inside neck diameter in most standard dies is set by the neck expander ball , it usually sits just above the decapping pin on the decapping rod ... it works when the case neck is sized down , smaller than needed , then the neck is pulled over the expander ball to give the neck it's inside diameter size ...unless done like this the case wall thickness would cause varying inside diameters and you want consistent I.D. necks .
to increase neck tension , the easiest way is to use a Expander Ball or Expander Plug with a smaller diameter . I have simply chucked the rod and ball assembly in a drill and polished the outside diameter smaller ... possibly the maker sells smaller diameter expander balls now .
Also look carefully at your dies not all are made the same and some have a separate decapping assembly and neck expander ball ... but the goal is to get the neck expander ball / plug smaller so it will grip your bullet tighter .
Proper adjustment of your crimp / crimp die is also important .
Gary
Old December 13, 2022, 04:20 PM   #17
rude robert

I just bought a RPR and I have 24 round of factory ammo in to it to zero out the scope. I want to buy reloading dies for it but I have not located any form Cableas and or Academy. I also have not been able to find any WLR primers or anything else that for it at this time. I have Hornady's reloading dies, for my other reloading projects but since Moving to
Texas last year I have found primers on time for the .357 only but nothing else that I need. I know everyone else is having issues too. Any suggestions on where to get dies and some primers for the 6.5, Best regards Robert
Old December 13, 2022, 04:39 PM   #18
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rude robert View Post
I just bought a RPR and I have 24 round of factory ammo in to it to zero out the scope. I want to buy reloading dies for it but I have not located any form Cableas and or Academy. I also have not been able to find any WLR primers or anything else that for it at this time. I have Hornady's reloading dies, for my other reloading projects but since Moving to
Texas last year I have found primers on time for the .357 only but nothing else that I need. I know everyone else is having issues too. Any suggestions on where to get dies and some primers for the 6.5, Best regards Robert
Midway usa for dies https://www.midwayusa.com/reloading-...s/br?cid=23846

I check midway usa and brownells every couple days for primers.
Old December 14, 2022, 11:07 AM   #19
ocharry

you might try midsouth shooters supply and dvor and optics planet and natchez too

natchez had primers a couple days ago and brownells had match primers a couple days ago too

the stuff is slowly coming back and it shows up once in a while, you just have to be looking and have your money ready...lol

for the dies i would check dvor and see what they have i was just looking at hornady dies yesterday and they seem to have a bunch on sale right now...keep looking you will find what you need

ocharry