The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 2, 2015, 11:56 AM   #1
Kimio

QD mounts? some questions

Doing some research on various mounting methods for sound supprrssors, I was told by several kind folks that I'll likely want to find a system that allows me to mount as many different types of suppressors as possible, if I decide to go with multiple cans.

Currently I'm looking at .223/5.56 and .308/7.62 cans for my rifles.

Apparently there are some cans out there that allow you to simply swap out some parts and you can mount said can on a rifle of either caliber without the need of buying a separate suppressor. I'm not sure if this is true or not.

That being said, is there any specific brands I should keep an eye on? The rifles in question that I plan on trying to suppress are as follows.

AR15
M1a
FN FAL
Old February 2, 2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Sharkbite

If you get a 30cal can with a QD mount you can just swap between all the above without changing anything.

My AAC 762SDN-6 goes straight between 3 different AR's (10.5" 556, 16" 556 & a 9" 300blk), 1 300blk bolt gun and 2 308 bolt guns.

A direct thread can would do the same but you would need to leave the barrel threads avail for use. I like having a flashhider or muzzle break on the gun, so QD works for me.
Old February 2, 2015, 12:24 PM   #3
Kimio

I've heard most companies make it so that the cans use proprietary mounts that only they make, is this true? Also, how effective are the muzzle brakes compared to morph traditional/dedicated brakes?
Old February 2, 2015, 12:36 PM   #4
Sharkbite

Quote:
I've heard most companies make it so that the cans use proprietary mounts that only they make, is this true?
True for the most part. A Sure-fire can needs a Sure-fire mount. An AAC can needs an AAC mount. Some other companies make their cans with changeable endcaps that allow the use of others mounts.

The best way to go is pick the can you like, then buy the corresponding mounts for your rifles.

Quote:
Also, how effective are the muzzle brakes compared to morph traditional/dedicated brakes?
The AAC breaks i have are very effective as muzzlebreaks. As are their flashhiders.
Old February 2, 2015, 01:01 PM   #5
Kimio

Okay, in regards to the legalities of the can, I need to fill an ATF form 3 and pay the $200 tax stamp correct?

To my understanding, it's just the can't serial number that must be registered, and I should legally be able to attach that can to any applicable firearm correct?

Initially I was under the impression that both the firearm and can must be registered together, and we're only to be mated to each other.

Also, for the QD mounts, would you recommend running them wet? How often do yoy have to clean them if at all?
Old February 2, 2015, 01:25 PM   #6
Sharkbite

A little suppresser basics...

To buy a can from a dealer... He will do a form 4 to transfer the can to you or your trust. He can only do thst for a can he has in his possession. If you want something other then what he has in stock then he will order it from a manufacture and a form 3 is used to transfer between dealers. After he has the can the. A form 4 is done to transfer to you. The $200 tax is paid with the form 4

That suppressor can then be put on any firearm you wish. The can has its own S/n and is the NFA registered part.

Rifle cans should not be run "wet". Too much pressure. Some speciality rounds are the exception. 300blackout with SUBSONIC ammo may be run wet, but i dont bother. Quiet enough dry.

Pistol cans will benefit from a small amout of ablative (H2O, wire pulling gell, ect). My TiRant 9s sounds much better wet
Old February 2, 2015, 02:22 PM   #7
Kimio

How does length play a role in a sound suppressor? Aside from changing the rifles overall point of balance, I imagine (depending on the design) shorter sound suppressors may not be as efficient at lowering the report of the.

My understanding of how sound suppressors function is by bleeding off the expanding gasses via internal baffles or expansion chambers, they "Trap" and slow down the expanding gas which is typically what causes the report of the firearm.

Looking at the two models available at the AAC website, they have the one you mentioned and the longer 762-SD at nearly $400 less MSRP.

Is there a reason for this? Only thing I can think of is due to greater machining required to make the smaller can as effective as its longer big brother variant.
Old February 5, 2015, 02:06 PM   #8
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimio
How does length play a role in a sound suppressor? Aside from changing the rifles overall point of balance, I imagine (depending on the design) shorter sound suppressors may not be as efficient at lowering the report of the.
Exactly. The most efficient way to make a can quieter is to increase its length and number of baffles, but internal volume plays a big role too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimio
Looking at the two models available at the AAC website, they have the one you mentioned and the longer 762-SD at nearly $400 less MSRP.

Is there a reason for this? Only thing I can think of is due to greater machining required to make the smaller can as effective as its longer big brother variant.
The reason is that the 762-SD is an updated version of an old discontinued model. AAC brought it back as a budget option for people looking to save some money. It has an older baffle design, but its overall length makes it quieter than most newer mid-sized 7.62 cans.