The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 10, 2016, 01:18 PM   #1
Gunnut17

Flexibly ready to be deployed of assisted-opening knives of your choice EDC?

As a wise guy once said, the elder despite their willingness to do good for goodness sake, often carried knives below the shoulder for detachably unfortunate situations.

So, those who EDC knives with the intent to be able to whit wood or wick bad omens of the variable kinds of deplorable, what's keen to you as a reliable well built pocket/utility/boot knife of the oft Evil-Black-Looking variety.

I ask out of love for matte blacks and Olive Drabs in terms of color schemes.

That is to say, put forth that which you see as a good kind of EDC knife.
Old November 10, 2016, 02:18 PM   #2
Darkstar888

Flexibly ready to be deployed of assisted-opening knives of your choice EDC?

Spyderco Tenacious with a zip tie wave mod so it automatically deploys when you draw from the pocket. https://images.knifecenter.com/thumb...122GBBKPSc.jpg
http://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP12...de-g10-handles
(The knife on the vid is a different model)
https://youtu.be/dYs8EkcH-f0

For assisted opening the Kershaw Blur is a great option for an EDC/tactical folder.
http://www.kershaw-knives.net/images...LK-600x500.jpg
Old November 11, 2016, 11:41 AM   #3
rpseraph

AHA! A knife forum thread!!

I am a major proponent of EDC knives. Nothing is a more useful tool than a knife. I have kids, I am always cutting open a package or box or rope or something for them. People who meet me sometimes ask "why do you always have a knife" ... and then they end up saying "anyone have something to open/cut this?" I will also say that defending yourself with a knife is easier said than done. If my life is in danger? Primary option, run away. Secondary option, shoot them. Third option, get my knife out. I am not Doug Marcaida!

My EDC Rotation:
Automatics - Illegal some places, scare the CRAP out of people
Microtech Stormtroop coloration. Paid way too much for this. Eye candy, but a great knife, would feel comfortable defending myself.
OTF Lightning - Super cheap, super fun to play with, lots of color options. I have like 5 of these.

Assisted Opening - A regular folder with a spring to assist the opening, not automatic.
A bunch of Kershaws - The Blur, the Clash, the Brawler, the Leek. Lots of colorations shapes and sizes. Great value.

Flipper - No springs, but smooth opening, fast deployment.
ZT
Boker
CRKT Ripple
Spyderco Positron

Great knives that you play with and get great at opening -
Many Spydercos (like Darkstar said, the ziptie mod on the spyder hole works great, I have one on my Endura 4)
Old November 11, 2016, 12:08 PM   #4
themalicious0ne

While this isn't gun related, EDC may include a knife and/or gun.

I prefer Benchmade. My EDC is the Barrage 585SBk assisted blade. Besides being a great knife, I like the design on folding the knife as well as a lock when closed or open. Lock the blade open or closed for piece of mind. Simple (though not in mechanic) reliable, lightweight and sharp.

When I am backpacking, it is usually a simple KA-BAR. However I do have my eye on the Fallkniven A1 Pro.
Old November 11, 2016, 07:38 PM   #5
Mainah

I value the locking mechanism above all else, but I don't feel like I've compromised on anything with this: http://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS11...de-g10-handles
Old November 11, 2016, 10:15 PM   #6
50 shooter

My EDC knife has been a Kershaw Blur for the last few years, great knives. There's about 20 guys at work now that carry them, once they've handled mine and tried the assisted opening they want one.

You can pick one up for about $65 depending on where you look. Amazon and eBay always have them, you can get them in different colors and blade steel.
No time for rearranging.
Old December 7, 2016, 12:01 PM   #7
bamaranger

staples

An acquaintance just got 22 staples 'cause an assisted opener knife partially deployed in his trouser pocket ....somehow (?) as he was pulling his trousers on. You gotta know the guy, but..........

So anyhow, my standard, most carried knife has got to be a plain blade Spyderco Endura......supplemented by the Boy Scout favorite......some type of multiblade Victronox. Yeah, most times I carry two. 'Cept on Sunday, when I take my Dad's Buck Esquire, or a white scaled (Cammillus?) or a black bone Schrade/Walden pen knife.
Old December 7, 2016, 01:28 PM   #8
Gunnut17

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Actually had a Brawler until early this year (Accidentally nicked the blade against my Camillus, which was just a bad purchase in general.) and went ahead and sold it, liked the opening mechanism just fine but the blade for being right at 3" (Legal upper limit for blade length on a carry knife in my current location. Least it's not Seattle.)

Looked at another by Kershaw at a local shop and, despite forgetting the model name, it looked pretty intrinsic. Semi serrated, black handle and blade finish, seemed to have the same drop/tanto point tip as the Brawler, and the SpeedSafe opening and liner lock mechanism, anyone know what it might have been, per chance?
Old December 8, 2016, 12:26 PM   #9
rpseraph

I just got a Kershaw Westin 3460. Flipper, speed safe, liner lock, great size for EDC. I'm liking it a lot.
Old January 20, 2017, 12:20 AM   #10
Gunnut17

The Spyderco Harpy has come to my attention upon having both read and watched both most well known adaptations of Thomas Harris' Hannibal, as a good knife with Spyderco's trademark open-assisting hole in their blades, for most purposes.

However, as a fan of hawkbill/karambit style knives that, often, aren't folders for the fact the most well known and well tried and true hawkbills and karambits, the CS Steel Tiger and Strider HS/CS come to mind, are either rather large for the average state's laws on concealed or open carry of any knife, or double-edged in a way that makes a folder inherently dangerous if it were to be double-edge, I can't help but think a self-labelled hawkbill or karambit with spring-assist a la my since-sold off Kershaw Brawler might suit my love of the Brawler's opening mechanism, being both spring assist and index finger+wrist flick friendly in its design, better for my lacking finesse with certain motor skills and subpar hand strength.

Any thoughts given this info from you all?