The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 23, 2021, 10:05 PM   #51
NobodyJones

Prices on guns will drop when demand drops off. No gun dealer wants stock sitting so when people stop paying the exorbitant prices those prices will drop. Probably not back to what they were but they will slowly drop.

Right now demand is out racing supply and that is driving prices.

My local rural king has finally started getting some ammunition back in stock. They have probably 50 boxes of 7.62x39 and a couple dozen boxes of 12 gauge shells. I asked about .45acp and he said it sold out the day it came in. this is after months of them having nothing at all.
Old April 23, 2021, 10:23 PM   #52
CP93

I wonder what percentage of the commercial ammunition manufactured in a year worldwide goes to:

US Military
US government agencies including federal agencies, local LE, etc.
Foreign military/government contracts
US civilian market
Old April 24, 2021, 04:45 AM   #53
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
If no one buys someone's offering at whatever price they ask, then they did not get ripped off; if they did buy it, then they thought the asking price was fair and again, they did not get ripped off.

Basic Econ 101
And what if they're new gun owners who bought their first gun last year and they didn't know $2 a round for .223 is about double the price what most others were asking for and selling it for?

No matter what industry, every salesman loves a customer who hasn't got a clue what they're buying. Whether it's the LGS with the $2/round for .223 or the used car salesman selling an mid 00s F150 5.4L with 150k on the odometer and has never had the spark plugs changed to a 19 year old.
Old April 24, 2021, 05:08 AM   #54
TruthTellers

Currently the best things to buy aren't guns and ammo, it's mags and accessories. Why? Prices are still cheap and if a mag ban comes down the demand and prices for those mags is going to go into orbit faster than a rocket made by Space X.

Basically, buy all the Magpul AR and Glock pmags you can, lol. You'll never see a spring and 3 pieces of plastic go up so much in value in your entire life!

Because of the price of ammo and shortage of ammo, I think the demand in guns is naturally going to drop. Other than a Ruger P89 or Beretta Px4 that I want before my state passes laws banning mags over 10 rounds, I won't put money out for anything in 9mm cuz I'm not willing to pay $40 for a box.

I reload, but I'm down to my last few thousand primers and when primers can be bought for something closer to $50-60 a thousand, heck, I'm buying 10k primers immediately and gonna go enjoy shooting again.
Old April 24, 2021, 07:44 PM   #55
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Currently the best things to buy aren't guns and ammo, it's mags and accessories. Why? Prices are still cheap and if a mag ban comes down the demand and prices for those mags is going to go into orbit faster than a rocket made by Space X.

Basically, buy all the Magpul AR and Glock pmags you can, lol. You'll never see a spring and 3 pieces of plastic go up so much in value in your entire life!
A magazine ban/restriction will likely go into effect sometime within the next 4 years or so I would also suspect the gun show loophole (aka private sales) will pass that would require all gun transfers to go through a FFL. I would be surprised if onerous ammunition regulations didn't include stuff like having ammunition required to be shipped to an FFL and ammunition required to be lead free.
Old April 25, 2021, 05:18 PM   #56
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATN082268 View Post
A magazine ban/restriction will likely go into effect sometime within the next 4 years or so I would also suspect the gun show loophole (aka private sales) will pass that would require all gun transfers to go through a FFL. I would be surprised if onerous ammunition regulations didn't include stuff like having ammunition required to be shipped to an FFL and ammunition required to be lead free.
IDK about mag bans will happen at the national level, it could, but yeah, I don't see private sales holding up, but apparently there are certain states that are lining up to tell the Feds they're not going to enforce that law, but if local/state police were federalized and answer to the powers in DC then basically it could be enforced. I just suggest people buy mags for the most popular guns cheap and stack them deep. Always good to have a few dozen Glock 9mm mags and AR mags.
Old April 25, 2021, 06:13 PM   #57
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
I don't see private sales holding up, but apparently there are certain states that are lining up to tell the Feds they're not going to enforce that law, but if local/state police were federalized and answer to the powers in DC then basically it could be enforced.
I do see a lot of state and local resistance to closing the "gun show" loophole (aka private sales). Really though, it doesn't matter if the states go along with the law or not, it still will be Federal law if it passes. Initially the Feds will see who voluntarily goes along with it, then hold federal funding from states that don't go along with it and send some people from high profile cases to prison. Over time, more and more people will comply.

I am curious about what the Feds are going to do with the 300-400 million guns already sold which won't, in practice, be covered by closing the "gun show" loophole.
Old May 12, 2021, 07:55 AM   #58
the45er

Capitalism built this country and if a buyer and seller get together and make a deal with the seller accurately representing his/her product, then I agree, the term rip off is not legitimate. However, when I see someone trying to sell small 5000 small pistol primers for $700 plus shipping, I have to admit the term does cross my mind! LOL