The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 18, 2007, 10:19 AM   #1
If you aint CAV.....

Practice question

I am fairly new to the site and am here to learn, so here's my question. What are techiques are people practicing the most? and where are you looking to improvements? I am a Soldier so have access to highly trained people and stuff like that all the time. So i am curious where everyone is going for same type of stuff
Old April 18, 2007, 10:42 AM   #2
mikejonestkd

Uncle sam can do a pretty good job of training you.

On your own time you can get training from many schools across the country - all depending on your particular needs.

Look at the ' sticky ' above in this forum under ' practice drills '
Old April 18, 2007, 10:45 AM   #3
Samurai

My one piece of advise to a new shooter: SLOW DOWN.

Slow, well-placed shots are your bread and butter. No matter how good you are, no matter how much you train, a major portion of your training time should be devoted to single, slow, well-placed shots.

If you can shoot slow and carefully, and if you are physically comfortable shooting slow and carefully, then speed will be there when you need it. You shoot slow and carefully to train your muscles to recognize and feel comfortable in the positions they need to be in for accurate shooting. But, you don't train your body to be accurate at high speeds by practicing at high speed. Your body learns accuracy at high speeds by practicing at low speed.

Number one thing to practice: Slow, carefully aimed, well-placed shots.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old April 18, 2007, 10:49 AM   #4
mikejonestkd

excellent advice samuari and well spoken too.
Old April 18, 2007, 10:52 AM   #5
Desert01

Cav,

The Light Fighter's Academy back at Ft. Drum is about has good as it gets. The Infantry School and AMU are even refering units back to your home station. IMLARM is also availible in ATARRS for Active and Reserve units to go through.

I think the following that we used alot before I retired goes well with Samurai's comments:

Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast, there fore, Slow is Fast.

or

You can't miss fast enough to win.

See you when you get home,

Desert01
Old April 18, 2007, 11:53 AM   #6
If you aint CAV.....

I have been thru IMLARM and spend lots of time with some pretty good sniper types like Boltgun. I shoot pretty well and m not a new shooter. I am curious as to what the "otherside" does. I mean we have specific goals and tasks at the range or school. Just trying to brew up some ideas on what everyone does with range time. I have seen lots of posts with lots of rounds down range. Just curious as to what skills those rounds are building.
Old April 18, 2007, 11:57 AM   #7
Desert01

Got it.
Old April 18, 2007, 04:12 PM   #8
theinvisibleheart

competition

Getting engaged in competitive shooting is one of the best way to build up skill level.

In addition to the stress factor, there is an exchange of ideas as to why certain method works better than other.

Supervised simunition training and hunting are other venues that add stress factor.

When learning new skill set, go at it very, very slowly at first to build correct muscle memory and then build speed afterward.

I would also add in air gun shooting and 22LR rimfire shooting.

Combine it with mental visualization training.

--John
Old April 18, 2007, 04:47 PM   #9
boltgun71

Prior to joining the military most of my range time was spent developing my marksmanship skills in NRA Highpower and Sporterifle Competition. Specifically working on my offhand shot. My theory being that by practicing and improving the offhand position, all the other positions will become that much easier with basics like trigger control highly improved from the offhand practice. Like was mentioned earlier I also practiced shooting slow. I was normally one of the last in my firing lines to finish. I would practice taking my time and making each shot count. That has helped me keep a level head and get where I am today. Since I have joined most of my personal range time has been testing handloads for my rifles and practicing long range shooting. Quite a bit of time has been spent practicing with my personal long range "sniper" rifle to improve my skills on my duty one. I dont get to practice as many alternate or speed drills with my M24. Most of my work time is spent gathering DOPE for extended ranges. I spend my personal time practicing the close range drills with the long gun, especially while hunting. Its great practice for quick shots and field expedient positions. Most of the people I spend range time with on the civilian side are normally trying to improve there marksmanship skills through some sort of competition or testing handloads for there rifles. For competition they are normally shooting to beat their last seasons or previous match score or beat there buddy next to them for bragging rights. Alot of people spend there range time just plinkin' or shooting with the family and friends also, like we'll be doing when we get back. Not many people at my clubs practice military/LE drills. A few practice speed drills with pistols, thats about all. Hope this helps a little.
Old April 18, 2007, 06:17 PM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Shooting on the move, pistol, rifle, and shotgun, but not all 3 at the same time.