The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 1, 2021, 08:07 AM   #1
Doug4315

Looking for a new gun and would love advice

Good morning and new to the forum. Excited to join this awesome group!

I got my permit about a year ago and have become obsessed . I have made several purchases and absolutely love going to the range, although it's expensive with today's ammo prices. Anyway, I am in the market for yet another new gun and looking for something I don't have in terms of caliber and/or brand.

Would love some input from all of you. Yes it may be nice to have another carry that can be used as self defense and at the range. I have realized I don't really find carrying comfortable unless it's in my pocket. Tried many holsters and it bothers me in the waistband. Anyway here's my inventory of what I have already and would love some input.

Sig P365
Glock 19 Gen 5
SW 637 revolver
Ruger SR22
Ruger LCP 380
NAA Mini 22 Mag / LR
Old March 1, 2021, 08:16 AM   #2
Schlitz 45

I have three that are on your list 365,G19/5, & NAA 22mag. 365 & Glock are not pocket guns & my mini is mostly a tacklebox gun. My P365 IWB with a Crossbreed mini-tuk is my EDC after many years of experimenting with different combinations-but that's me. You gotta figure this stuff out for yourself.
Old March 1, 2021, 08:30 AM   #3
ms6852

If you really want to amp up your shooting while improving on your basic marksmanship skill, I personally would purchase a Ruger MKIV or Browning Buckmark. These handguns are remarkably accurate to shoot and very reliable . Will not hurt your wallet shooting 22's and afterwards you can shoot 20 rounds of whatever handgun you are carrying.

I carry a 686 with a 3" barrel and use a 617 model as the understudy for my 686. I shoot between 200 to 300 rounds of 22 in double action and only 14 rounds of .357 to maintain muscle memory.

I would also recommend the Springfield 911 .380. For me I find this gun easier to shoot than the Ruger LCP you own. Easy to control and stay on target without the snappy recoil the LCP has. Night sights on this gun is incredible, very very bright in the dark.

Normally I would not make this recommendation because Kimber firearms have never appealed to me, until they came out with the Rapide Black Ice. One great looking firearm. Choose your caliber, I am leaning towards another 10mm to go along with my Springfield TRP.
Old March 1, 2021, 09:43 AM   #4
Shadow9mm

If your wanting something new and different, a 1911 in 45acp is both, along with being a lot of fun
Old March 1, 2021, 10:50 AM   #5
sigarms228

How about a full size hammer fired autoloading pistol for range shooting since that is what you love to do? They also make excellent home defense pistols.

Possibilities to look into for 9MM include:

SIG P226
HK P30, P30L, USP
Beretta 92 series
CZ 75 series such as SP01
Old March 1, 2021, 10:50 AM   #6
BarbarianCBX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
If your wanting something new and different, a 1911 in 45acp is both, along with being a lot of fun
+1. And how 'bout a Sig M17?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old March 1, 2021, 12:11 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

You have six handguns, and not a 1911 or Single Action Army among them. IMHO that's a condition that should be corrected as quickly as possible.
Jeepaholic
Old March 1, 2021, 12:22 PM   #8
Doug4315

What 1911 do you recommend?

I would probably stick to 9MM, maybe entertain 10MM but some say the 10MM is a dying breed. Maybe .45?
Old March 1, 2021, 12:43 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
You have six handguns, and not a 1911 or Single Action Army among them. IMHO that's a condition that should be corrected as quickly as possible.
I have several times that many handguns, and I don't have a 1911 or an SAA.

I do have my Father's Colt Government Model, and about 10 or so Ruger SA revolvers, mostly Blackhawks or Vaqueros...

I've had a number of 1911A1 pattern guns over the years and let most of them go, over time. I'll be keeping my Dad's .45 until they close the lid, or possibly shortly before when I'll pass it on to one of my grandchildren.

I've never owned a Colt SAA (or clone) though I have handled and shot several. I prefer the New Model Ruger Blackhawk, its my favorite SA revolver. Colt's just seem "small" to me.

If you're looking for what pistol to get next, there are two basic choices, A)something like what you already have, and B) something quite different from what you already have.

Consider "B" and a large SA or DA pistol in a magnum, or big bore caliber. They are a "whole 'nother level", and a different one you might enjoy.
I do.
Old March 1, 2021, 01:18 PM   #10
bamaranger

new

It's always fun spending somebody else's money!

Lacking from your list is the most practical handgun one can own, some type of medium frame, 4" double action .357 revolver. These are not pocket pistols, but generations of cops and outdoorsman carried them in OWB holsters and duty belts comfortably. Loaded with suitable .357 magnum ammo, they are defense from about any threat, two or four legged. Loaded down with .38 ammo, they are satisfying range and plinking guns. I'd suggest something in the 'Smith K frame, a Ruger "Six" series. The 'Smith L and N frame guns are a good bit bigger, sorry.......I've never been a Colt DA fan.

If self defense is not a paramount, you might find a .357 single action, like a Ruger Blackhawk a satisfying range and plinker as well, with all the same attributes of a wide power range available in elusive factory ammo in these days.
Old March 1, 2021, 01:29 PM   #11
defjon

New calibers : 45 acp and 357

For something very different, consider a Smith and Wesson governor. Gain plethora of 45 caliber options, including 45 colt and 410.

A 45 1911 is a good choice. On a budget the Springfield milspec is solid.

357 4 inch revolver in stainless. Ruger gp100 or Smith 686 are both good options.

Not a new caliber but a Ruger wrangler would give you some single action experience.
Old March 1, 2021, 01:42 PM   #12
Doug4315

Thank you all very much! I now have tons of research to do, maybe hit up a few videos on Youtube and will circle back with an idea of what I selected. Good stuff and very grateful for all your guidance.
Old March 1, 2021, 01:43 PM   #13
stinkeypete

Volquartsen or Walther competition grade .22 ... take your pick.
Rock River competition quality 1911.. how accurate depends on your purse. Or a Baer or etc.
Sig P210 Target.

I see a lot of things that you can carry around, but nothing you can take to the range and hit a NRA standard bullseye target well enough at 50 feet to learn to shoot accurately or enjoy club level competition. It’s no fun when your pistol can’t hold 4” at 50’.
Old March 1, 2021, 01:53 PM   #14
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug4315 View Post
What 1911 do you recommend?

I would probably stick to 9MM, maybe entertain 10MM but some say the 10MM is a dying breed. Maybe .45?
you said you wanted a new caliber, so that rules out 9mm. I think you need to go classic with 45acp.
Old March 1, 2021, 02:04 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

"...bothers me in the waistband..." Your belt is as important as the holster. Pockets are lint and dirt magnets.
Go try a bunch of handguns on for size. It has to fit your hand.
I wouldn't even consider a NAA Mini. Or a .22 LR for SD. Cheap shooting on a range, but very decidedly marginal for SD.
"...basic marksmanship skill..." Competitive bullseye shooting. Great fun and opens doors you don't even know are there.
A Colt Government Model is a 1911A1. So are 99% of the assorted clones. Very hard to beat one for just plain fun shooting. A cast 230 grain RN or FP(flat point) with 4.5 grains of Bullseye is a very pleasant target load that will also blow a bowling pin off the table(pin shooting is as much fun as Armoured Recce).
"...always fun spending somebody else's money!..." Absolutely.
Old March 1, 2021, 02:22 PM   #16
Alan0354

I agree with ms6852.

Your list are all on smaller size for carrying, time to get a target pistol that is accurate. I bought small guns like you, but I bought a Ruger Mark II(I believe it is Mark IV now) those days for target and Colt Gold Cup (1911) for target and competitions. Ruger is a very accurate gun, 1911 can be very accurate if you find the right one or you accurize it.

So if you decide on a 1911, get one that is known to be accurate, not all of them are. I even had to do a lot of work to make my Gold Cup optimal. Good thing is there are a lot of parts and knowledge in accurizing the 1911, you literally can get any good 1911 and accurize it to competition quality. I dabbled into gun smithing, squeezing the slide on my Gold Cup to make it fit tight, changing components to get better trigger and all that. I am pretty sure you can do that if you get a 1911.
Old March 1, 2021, 02:28 PM   #17
SIGSHR

Guns are like tools, what you buy depends on what you intend to use it for. For learning to shoot, a target grade 22, for home defense 38/357 and above, I will defer to those who have CCWs for carrying.
Old March 1, 2021, 02:38 PM   #18
Doug4315

Oops failed to mention. I did buy a Victory 22 for target back in November. Well to say it never worked in an understatement. Had to go back three times and SW finally offered a refund hence why I have some funds. Maybe going towards another similar makes sense. Maybe the Mark IV would have been a better option. I do have the SR22 that I use at the range but it's not very accurate.

Leaning towards a .22 target gun. Is the Mark IV what I should be looking at? Any other suggestions?
Old March 1, 2021, 02:41 PM   #19
Doug4315

I see there's a few options...

RUGER MK IV 22/45 5.5″ 22 LR - $399
RUGER MK IV HUNTER 6.8″ 22 - $799
RUGER MKIV COMPETITION 22 - $749
RUGER MARK 4 HUNTER 6.88″ - $749
RUGER MARK IV TARGET BLUED 5.5 - $559
RUGER MKIV TARGET 22 LR 5.5″ - $689
RUGER MARK IV STANDARD 22 LR - $429
RUGER MK IV 22 LR 5.5 - $499
Old March 1, 2021, 03:04 PM   #20
dgludwig

Because you want a different caliber than the ones you already have and want a pistol that doesn't need a holster to carry for self-defense, you might want to consider getting a Ruger LCR revolver, chambered in .327 Magnum.
Welcome to The Firing Line!
Old March 1, 2021, 04:22 PM   #21
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug4315 View Post
Oops failed to mention. I did buy a Victory 22 for target back in November. Well to say it never worked in an understatement. Had to go back three times and SW finally offered a refund hence why I have some funds. Maybe going towards another similar makes sense. Maybe the Mark IV would have been a better option. I do have the SR22 that I use at the range but it's not very accurate.

Leaning towards a .22 target gun. Is the Mark IV what I should be looking at? Any other suggestions?
What's the problem?

I can only say my Mark II is perfect, never jammed I can remember, I must had at least 7,000 rounds or more through it. It is accurate. I can easily get 10+ shots group in less than 1 1/2" for 25yds if I benched firing. And this is without scope and only using Winchester Wildcat bullets only, nothing match grade ammo. I suspect it's my eyes that limited the accuracy( no scope). I have no reason to think Mark IV is not as good. Cheaper doesn't not mean lesser in this case. ha ha, I only paid $160 at the time!!!

funny I have two S&W model 17 6" revolver that were supposed to be target grade. They were not accurate. One just not that accurate, the other had fliers!!! Every few shot, there's always had a flier. I sent it back, they couldn't detect the problem and sent back a target with tight group of 5. I gave up. There are so many bad shots that they just assume it's me that had the fliers. So we finally packed the two away and chuck it as lost. My Mark II, Gold Cup 45 and my 8" Colt Trouper can do so much better.
Old March 1, 2021, 08:30 PM   #22
kell

I was going to say the same thing. Get an original style 7 round simple A1.
Old March 1, 2021, 09:02 PM   #23
BourbonCowboy

I agree with sigarms228: the HK lineup has some great offerings - the P30 series, USP series, and the VP series are outstanding choices. As are the Beretta and CZ pistols mentioned.

But I also agree with defjon's take on a S&W Governor. I went with a Taurus Judge and have no regrets. It's a huge, heavy option that always puts a big goofy grin on my face when I pull the trigger. Plus it makes one helluva nightstand gun.
Old March 1, 2021, 10:02 PM   #24
FunGramps

I'm with many here. A 1911 is a must, and to be the real deal, as far as I'm concerned, should be in .45 ACP. And make it as close to MILSPEC as possible. Yeah, too much military still in me.
Old March 1, 2021, 11:33 PM   #25
rc

You are missing the best 9mm on the planet. CZ 75 or variant. CZ SP01, CZP01 would also be great and a Kadet 22 conversion kit to go with it. Those who have CZs buy more CZs

I agree a good 45 ACP 1911 would be another must have. Kimber is a good one to start with.