The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 12, 2019, 08:31 AM   #1
Greguw

What does the Wife Carry ?

Hey guys ,
The wife got her CC last year , she shoots a few of my range toys , 9mm Glock , .380 and few small caliber revolvers .
I know she wants her own , shes ok with the Semi auto but not sure if I want to just keep it simple with a revolver .
Christmas is here , I would love a new gun from santa ... I'm picking me up a Glock 27 4th gen ... Can't just buy here one ... LOL
For Her Either a Glock 26 / 43 single either one or possibly keep it simple like smith or Ruger LCR .
Just wondering what your lady's are carrying ?
Old December 12, 2019, 08:41 AM   #2
David R

Kimber Micro Carry (380). Laser grips. She shoots about 500 rounds a year practice.

She also shoots full size 1911 in competition.

David
Old December 12, 2019, 09:04 AM   #3
ammo.crafter

ccw, the wife

I was at Classic Pistol a few days ago researching the same subject.

I would have her handle the guns you mentioned and perhaps a few more to see what fits her comfortably and aims naturally.

Mine likes a Walther PK380.
Old December 12, 2019, 09:09 AM   #4
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greguw View Post
Hey guys ,
The wife got her CC last year , she shoots a few of my range toys , 9mm Glock , .380 and few small caliber revolvers .
I know she wants her own , shes ok with the Semi auto but not sure if I want to just keep it simple with a revolver .
Christmas is here , I would love a new gun from santa ... I'm picking me up a Glock 27 4th gen ... Can't just buy here one ... LOL
For Her Either a Glock 26 / 43 single either one or possibly keep it simple like smith or Ruger LCR .
Just wondering what your lady's are carrying ?
Gee, wish my wife was into shooting..let alone a CC permit..Someday I'll tell her I've had a CCWP for almost 2 years(yup, she doesn't know, 'pick yur battles')...

BUT..depends on what she likes to shoot. Shooting a lot=getting better with the gun plus ensuring it's reliable. I had a G43 and found it too snappy for me..the extra weight of a G26 ended up being perfect BUT, bigger, heavier..CC, how would she carry it? On her person? in a bag?

I think my wife would enjoy my G42, but alas..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 12, 2019, 10:10 AM   #5
jimbob86

Quote:
It really doesn't matter if YOU want to keep it simple with a revolver. Personal weapons are intensely personal. She really needs to choose her own.

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/f...for-your-wife/
Old December 12, 2019, 10:34 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greguw
Wrong attitude, sir. With all respect, it should never be what you want. The question is: What does she want? And it's not as easy as semi-auto vs. revolver. If you are going to give her a gun, it should be the gun that she wants. Your likes and preferences should not enter into the equation.
Jeepaholic
Old December 12, 2019, 10:39 AM   #7
Catchabullet

Have her try the s&w m&p ez 9mm. Have her try all the guns. It's about her comfort.
Old December 12, 2019, 11:32 AM   #8
David R

My wife has said she would like to carry her Buckmark with a Ultradot. She can hit anything with it. She understands its all a compromise. She empties money from vending machines every now and then. She keep the 380 in her right front pocket with the grip showing and a light shirt over it.I bought her a carry purse, but its useless. Teeny zipper to get at the gun in the middle of the purse.

We have a LW Officers ACP in the quick access safe under the bed with CT laser grips She would not hesitate to use it.

David
Old December 12, 2019, 01:18 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...I know she wants her own..." Take her shopping. It has to be her choice and fit her hand.
"...if I want to..." Doesn't matter what you want. You don't get a say.
Old December 12, 2019, 02:29 PM   #10
David R

Just a note. I see them do this at the range I shoot at a lot. Let her pick her gun, but don't buy it until she shoots it. Many look at a small hand gun and think it would be perfect. Then they shoot it once and never again. I have an LCP that makes me go OUCH every time it goes BANG. Rent, borrow or what ever, but have her shoot it or as many as possible to get what she likes and is comfortable with. If she does not like it after the purchase it will just sit there.
We rented a couple one day at a range. It helped a lot.
David
Old December 12, 2019, 03:28 PM   #11
Dufus

Mrs. D tried Glocks, Colts, Rugers, one Beretta and S&W.

She chose the S&W SD9VE. She shoots it well, as she does with most handguns that she wants to shoot.

I did not influence her decision in the least. It was totally up to her.
Old December 12, 2019, 03:38 PM   #12
dontcatchmany

My wife carries a Ruger LCR 327.

She is good with it. Actually I foofaws it a coupke year go when she got it......fast forward to about a month ago.

I now have one in my pocket as a back up. Shot my wife's a few times and had to have one. It has proved to be a very good revolver.
Old December 12, 2019, 04:34 PM   #13
greentick

My wife is small frame and small hands. Got her a Taurus 709 slim years ago and while she really liked shooting it, she had a hard time concealing it. Ended up with a Beretta Pico. She loves it because it is so small/light she takes it everywhere. If she drops it in a jacket pocket the jacket doesn't go lopsided.
Old December 12, 2019, 05:52 PM   #14
labnoti

I agree with the sentiment about letting her choose based on her desires, but those desires or wants should be informed desires. The kind of information any person needs to make a good choice for a carry firearm is well-covered by other sources such that it wouldn't be prudent for me to attempt to rehash it here in this little post.

I will comment on the little revolvers mentioned. They are one of the hardest guns to shoot well. They have everything -- everything -- working against them. I am a "revolver guy," but I would never give anyone a j frame or LCR, and I don't think revolvers are best for most people. If a person does desire a revolver, start with a K frame or 3" GP100 and get expert with it before going any smaller or to a more difficult trigger and a lighter gun with more recoil.

If a person really appreciates the DAO manual of arms, I suggest Kahr. The Shield EZ uses a grip safety to simplify the manual of arms with a single-action trigger. Glock and similar just use some trigger slack, which makes the holster and concealment garment more critical. That's part of the equation I can't address just with gun models. Part of an "informed desire" is understanding how a gun will interact with the person in terms of the holster and their dress.
Old December 12, 2019, 06:03 PM   #15
Ben Dover

Mine carries a 3 inch heavy barrel S&W Model 13, loaded with Remington 125 Grain Golden Sabre ammo.

Not my 1st choice, but it's her weapon, and she's good with it.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old December 12, 2019, 06:05 PM   #16
kymasabe

My wife and daughter prefer guns without safeties.
Remington RM380 for my wife and Beretta Nano for my daughter.
Old December 12, 2019, 07:25 PM   #17
zoo

I'd suggest she go to the gun shops and ranges and handle and shoot several.

When my wife went shopping for her EDC, the sales gal tried to push the various Sig, Kimber, Glock, S&W (EZ), etc. .380 pistols noting among other things their price point.

Although liking the smooth slide pull on a couple of models, she was turned off on the awkward handling of the small pistols until she came across a Browning Black Label Pro 1911 .380 at another store. She seemed to really like the Browning. It was priced comparable to a couple of the sigs and kimbers too.

I liked the Browning too but it was not something I would want for EDC. I knew better than to argue with my wife though, not to mention she was going to be the one carrying it.

Bottom line is she got it, she shoots it well, it is reliable and quite accurate, she carries it, and she REALLY likes it!

Weeks later, my wife had an occasion to go to a ladies day range shoot with one of the sales women who had been pushing the other models. The gal had brought a half dozen women who had been through her shop for a hands on demonstration. They ended up all being quite impressed with the Browning and my wife's shooting skills with it!
Old December 12, 2019, 07:39 PM   #18
603Country

My wife, who hounded me till we got our carry licenses, prefers her S&W 38 - the new one with the polymer frame and red laser. That said, she shoots the 380 EZ more accurately. I have finally come around to thinking that the simplicity of her DA revolver is what’s best for her, which is exactly what she says, even if she doesn’t shoot it that accurately. Keep it simple...
Old December 12, 2019, 08:22 PM   #19
zoo

I don't mean to sound mean but I'm thinking I should have and probably will in the future set up a few FTF and FTE situations for my little sweetie pie. She is getting a little too secure in her semi-automatic pistol.
Old December 12, 2019, 09:47 PM   #20
labnoti

Why not just train clearing malfunctions with her instead of surprising her? You can use a snap cap or tap-rack-training aid or modify a magazine for tap-rack training. Have her practice the tap-rack procedure without removing the magazine and removing it to an underarm position as would be necessary to clear a double-feed.
Old December 12, 2019, 10:12 PM   #21
10-96

Quote:
What does the Wife Carry ?
Mostly grudges...

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old December 12, 2019, 10:54 PM   #22
7.62 man

Not a wife yet, but girlfriend carries a Glock G43 & she is a good shot with it too..
Old December 12, 2019, 10:55 PM   #23
jimbob86

https://thewellarmedwoman.com/

I suggest you buy her a gift card to a range, a copy of "The Cornered Cat", and find the local affiliate of TheWellArmedWoman ..... They go shopping together ...... to the bathroom together .... why would they not go to the range together?
Old December 13, 2019, 07:36 AM   #24
Greguw

Thanks for the great reponce guys ,
So we go to the shop and her first statement was guns are all black ... LOL
So the sales guy came up and says can I help you and she says to the sales guy I'm looking for a Glock 42 or 43 in purple , all my girl friends carry the purple glock do you have one , the guy was a bit embarrassed but showed his carry ... it was a Glock Purple 43 ... LOL
It was funny , what are the chances out of all the sales guys on the floor we get a sales guy carrying a purple glock ... LOL
So she really liked the Glock 43 , the Glock 26 was to wide , so just get her a extra mag .
Thanks for the great replies
Old December 13, 2019, 10:36 AM   #25
BillM

Over the years wife has selected and carried:
J-frame
Beretta Tomcat
Kel-tec P32

She just bought herself a S&W 380 EZ.
"Santa" is bringing her a Crimson Trace laser for
it and a holster of her choice.