The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2015, 12:07 AM   #1
Nick_C_S

What did you learn from the "Big Shortage?"

A quick background: I started target shooting and loading (pistol only) back in '84. Did it hot n heavy for about 6 or 7 years. Then I took a break from loading/shooting for about 20 years to do that whole life thing (not a complete break - but only a couple trips to the range/yr). I finally got less busy and I decided to get back into shooting in Nov 2012 - just before the "Big Shortage" hit. My timing was uncanny. Thank God I at least got a bit of a head start on rebuilding my component inventory before it hit; otherwise, I really would have really had my back to the wall. Might have just walked away from it.

I didn't even know there were previous shortages. I do now.

Now that it seems things are finally - finally - easing up a bit and the worst is behind us, I just kind of wanted to reflect on the last two years to see how others were affected by it and how we will proceed in the future. Did we learn from our mistakes? Who was prepared? Who wasn't? I wasn't - that's for sure. What do you consider "well stocked" now? I'll start:

I found myself standing in long lines - usually Friday mornings - at my LGS. The doors would open and everyone would rush in and gobble up what little morsels they could. It took a lot of my time (fortunately, I work evenings), but I managed to get a nice stock of everything. And although, in an odd way, I reflect on those mornings standing in line and talking to new friends rather fondly. But I would much rather not go through that again. I learned my lesson.

I also learned to use many different powders and primers. Prior, I had simplified my inventory down to just W231, Unique, & W296. And I had never previously used a primer other than CCI. I've been introduced to plated bullets - neat - I like them a lot. And now, I have 10 different powders in my inventory, and don't want to cull out a single one - they have have their specific use(s). Yes, the shortage has changed my loading style in a big way. And my inventory is good for at least two years now - probably three. And will just buy as I use now.

It's been a ride. I would like to hear other's stories.
Old January 10, 2015, 12:36 AM   #2
sawdustdad

As we've already discovered, Nick, your path and mine are quite similar except that I just re-entered the hobby in mid-2014 after a 25 year period of only occasional shooting and virtually no reloading. I am still shooting some ammo I loaded in the 80s and early 90s.

As I came back and started shooting in earnest and looking to replenish component inventory I could fairly easily find bullets and primers but no pistol powder. Most of the shortage was over by mid 2014 except for powders and 22LR. Discovered plated and coated bullets--things not available 25years ago.

As my pistol powder stockpile from the 80s dwindled ( I had about 5lbs on hand in storage) , I discovered gunbot.net and through some attentive monitoring started to order pistol powders as they became available. Bought what I could, (even if it wasn't what I wanted) buying 4 to 6 lbs each time to justify the hazmat fees. I've probably got on hand now enough powder to last 10 years, I'm a little embarrassed to admit. But I've finally started to pass up pistol powders showing up now at the LGS.

I have an older brother who has extensively and continuously been in the shooting sports for 40+ years, so my re-entry into the hobby has been a reason to rekindle my relationship with him. We talk nearly every week on the phone now, mostly about guns, but also about family. He was the reason I originally got into the sport, so it's been great to be able to share experiences and trade stories again with him. To be honest, that's one of the best things to come out of my renewed interest in shooting and reloading.
Old January 10, 2015, 12:46 AM   #3
jmorris

Nothing other than people don't learn from the past and/or plan ahead.

I guess I did learn, comming out of it, that Hercules doesn't make 2400 anymore Alliant does.
Old January 10, 2015, 03:13 AM   #4
Blindstitch

I learned that I shouldn't live so far on the edge figuring I can pick up a pound of powder whenever. I now try to keep at least 2 pounds more of whatever i'm using on hand. And at least 300 projectiles of each caliber.

I'm still waiting to pick up a box of primers. I barely made it through and was only forced to use one pack of 100 remington primers vs my normal cci.
Old January 10, 2015, 04:27 AM   #5
McCarthy

The last time I thought about starting to reload was mid 2013. While researching for equipment I quickly found out about the shortage of powder and ridiculous prices. I quit researching, just restarted this process a month ago and decided for the 1050.

What I have leaned from this shortage is that I'll start stockpiling powder, primer, projectiles and also brass over the course of winter and spring to the point where I can load and shot at least 1200 rounds a month (300 pistol rounds on 1 range day a week) for a period of 1 years.

So we are talking about 1000 rounds out of 1 pond of powder makes it 14.4 pounds and 14400 primer, 14400 bullets and around 3600 brass if I reload them 4 times.

I might lower those number in order to integrate rifle loads. But that's about the plan...

Heck I might pile some extra powder and primer on top of that. I bet gifting a shooting buddy 1 pound of powder and 1000 primers out of nowhere when things are tight might be one of the greatest surprises for somebody who enjoys loading and shooting. It sure beats 6 pairs of socks for Christmas

Last edited by McCarthy; January 10, 2015 at 04:35 AM.
Old January 10, 2015, 05:54 AM   #6
Jim243

Strange, I started reloading in 2004 and like everyone else started small loading 45 ACP for myself. But soon after got into more and more calibers both rifle and pistol. Well to make a long story short, I set my own inventory levels for on hand items to 5 lbs of powder for each caliber and 500 bullets on hand also for each caliber, primers about 4,000 per type. As I used up the components I replaced them. So short story, the shortages have never effected me in one way or another. I load for 13 calibers today so that is a lot of powder, primers and bullets still sitting on my shelves. I haven't purchased one round of commercial ammo in 10 years. (except rim fire)

So since the shortages are over, maybe I'll buy 2 or 3 pounds of powder just to fill in on some I may have used a bit more of and maybe 5 or 6 hundred bullets per caliber that I used up.

Never gave a thought to the shortages. Just felt other peoples pain.

Stay safe and shoot straight.
Jim

I think I need to explain, that for pistol I mostly use Win-231 so I will have 5 to 10 lbs of that at any one time, although I did by Power Pistol to use as well as Alliant 2400, and for rifle mostly H-4895 & H-4350 for all larger caliber rounds for about 5 to 8 lbs covers that but I still have 2 lbs of IMR 3031 that has been sitting on the shelf for 3 years now un-opened, and for 223/5.56 I kind of went crazy with H-335, IMR 8208 so as long as you standardize on fewer powders for mulltable calibers you can load day and night just replace what you use.

Last edited by Jim243; January 10, 2015 at 06:13 AM.
Old January 10, 2015, 06:33 AM   #7
lamarw

I posted the following under a different thread yesterday:

"Just as the "Big Shortage" appeared on the horizon, I stocked up with over a grand's worth of Win 231, Unique, Red Dot, and Winchester large and small pistol primers from Powder Valley.

I am still in good shape."
Old January 10, 2015, 07:25 AM   #8
trapper9260

I seen the hand writ on the wall before it all started.I been reloading for years now and get what I need to stock up when the price is good and with in reason on all I need and I do not depend on jacket bullets because I cast my own.So it is just molds and just get my alloy to keep it in stock.I plan ahead and this Big Shortage did not matter to me.I still sit good and have my stock.It was not the first time there was one ,but this one was worst.As for what was stated about 2400 powder the company that was stated that makes it now is the one that bought the other one out.I use there powder more then any other makes and I have more then one different powders and stock of primers also, cast for what ever bullets I need and go from there.I am able to ride this all out.
Old January 10, 2015, 07:40 AM   #9
cryogenic419

What did I learn?

There are lots of places off the beaten path that can be goldmines if you are willing to drive. I've also learned Ohio seems to be one of the best places to get components. Every July you can pretty much get any powder or primer and .22 ammo you need, even during shortages.

Buy it. Even if you've already got a ton of it at home. When times are good and stock is plentiful don't stop buying. I'm not saying load up the cart, but make a point of buying something if you are near one of your favorite shops. Maybe its just 1000 primers, maybe only a pound of powder. Do that on a somewhat regular basis.

I've learned that there are a lot of other powders out there I wish I would have tried sooner. For the longest time I used Hodgdon Universal for everything pistolwise, between shortages and factory issues this stuff hasn't been around for a long time. I grabbed various other powders that I could find just to try and see how they were and discovered I actually preferred some of them over Universal.
Old January 10, 2015, 09:25 AM   #10
zeke

Otherwise known as the last of a series of big shortages. Made it through this one pretty easily.
1-there will be future shortages
2-Buy when it is there and less expensive
3-Even 9mm brass can get in short supply.
4-LEARN TO USE YOUR CREDIT CARD AND THE INTERNET. This was a particularly tough one to learn/accept.
5-Be glad you tried lot's of different components
6-Shipping costs can add up quickly for the larger calibers.
7-308 sucks up more money than 223 in brass, bullets and powder.
8-sometimes components for some all oddball cartridges are available, still
9-goal of lifetime supply of non-perishables
Old January 10, 2015, 09:42 AM   #11
TXAZ

This was the third example I recall where a U.S. president (or their underlings) created significant hysteria in a particular market and caused a rush to buy (or dump) a particular commodity. I'm sure there have been more in the last 240 years. The other two in the gun world were the Reagan era "Machine gun" ban and the Clinton era "Assault Weapons" ban.

My learning, as hinted above, is be prepared. Stock up when you can, don't shoot it all, and avoid the hysteria.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 10, 2015, 10:22 AM   #12
serf 'rett

I had been spoiled by the good online prices of components!

Actually bought some stuff at local gun stores.

I bought a press and started reloading in February 2011 and found I enjoyed the hobby so much that I bought components from online vendors in what was bulk quanities for my amount of shooting. Had enough powder and primers, but was short on bullets (I'm always short on bullets because I load them when I have them).

It helps to remember the Boy Scout motto - Be Prepared.
Old January 10, 2015, 10:48 AM   #13
Wreck-n-Crew

I learned that grabbing a minimal amount got me in trouble and I need to stock more. I fill up my gas tank when I can. I grab enough groceries for a week when I can. Why not powder? Because it was there!

Mostly I learned that politics influenced my life once again and the end to the politics that do such things will always have a presence even when it doesn't have an impact. Prepared is better!
Old January 10, 2015, 11:47 AM   #14
bfoosh006

In a nutshell... buy it cheap.... I know that sounds silly, but it is true.

Right now.... AR mags , quality parts, and uppers are very cheap... yet a lot of people are blind to the cost effectiveness of these items.

Prior to and during the "full on" ammo shortage, which went in stages... first 5.56, 7.62x39 ammo prices went nuts.... then handgun ammo, and then 22LR.... then reloading supplies.....there was plenty of 22LR at the beginning of the ammo run, at normal $16 / 500... a lot of us saw the writing on the wall. I for one bought a few bricks each time I went to the LGS

I have been through two shortages now.... Seriously .. Buy it cheap.

What I am saying is ....Do Not take Your Hobby and 2nd Amend. Right lightly, given the opportunity the "Bad Guys" would take it all away. And yes by "Bad Guys" I do mean the anti-gunners. It is time we stop being nice and start calling them by name.

Another thing I will point out is just how easily our supply system can be overwhelmed... not just in reloading and the shooting sports... but the whole system.

If you don't have a weeks worth of emergency supplies on hand ...and then if something happens.... don't start calling me a hoarder because I was the "Ant" and you were the "Grasshopper".

I realize all this takes money.... put away 5 % of your paycheck sand buy it while it is cheap.

I imagine a lot of people truly wished they had more "TiteGroup" or "TAC" shortly after the powder shortage ...... they could have..... they choose to get the latest IPhone or Gizmo instead. You can't have it all... make a choice and be prepared to deal with the results of your choices.

While this is fairly mean in tone... it is meant to remind those few that are Grasshopper "like" , that your spare chances are running out. The Bad Guys will find a way to take away some right....
Old January 10, 2015, 12:09 PM   #15
reynolds357

I learned what I learned during Clinton's big shortage; keep a 3 year supply of everything I need.
Old January 10, 2015, 12:11 PM   #16
g.willikers

My approach was/is to shoot less.
A lot less.
With better thought and planning, a typical range day requires a third of the ammo as previously.
And without any loss of skill.
Augmented with airgun practice, the amount of live fire can be reduced even more, while still retaining good fundamentals.
And that's what really counts.
Looking back to the days before loading our own ammo became the norm, a full day at the range averaged maybe 100 rounds, for everything we brought.
And even that was kind of rich and costly.
I don't recall anyone not thinking that the two hour round trip wasn't justified, though.
And the same can hold true today.
A well focused practice session doesn't really require all that much ammo to be effective.
Old January 10, 2015, 12:12 PM   #17
RC20

Much like Nick C S I got back into it but more like 30 years or better hiatus and then got gobber smacked by the powder shortage (mostly)

I had missed a lot of what was going on with shooting in my hiatus and had not a clue on shortages as those take place below my radar.

I limped along and kept going but always on a knife edge of getting a powder load going and having the powder become unavailable and having to shift or try some less than good substitutes (not dangerous, just limited and sometimes picky accuracy)

22 was not an option as it went away too (I had enough to shot some but I had moved to the better stuff for serious accuracy and its still gone). A bit is coming back but not the good accurate stuff.

You can't get powder or primers shipped to Alaska so those options stateside are not available.

So, 3 mainline powders with enough to last a year each and good stock of brass and primers. Bullets you could order mostly.

If powder starts to get low buy 5 or 8 lb jug. Better price, it doesn't go bad and it will last along time.

What I do find amazing is seeing new fangled copper clearing temperature stable progressive burning powders showing up when the old standbys are still not easy to get. Hmmm.
Old January 10, 2015, 12:13 PM   #18
mattL46

I enjoy reading your posts nick. What have I learned? A lot of what others have said. I dont get a whole lot of time to shoot. Let alone reload. So it hasn't hurt me that much at all. Heck I think during this shortage I loaded about....400 38 special. Bout 100+ 357 mag. A box or two of 257 rbts. And a few boxes of 222 rem. And when I realized I didn't have something it wasn't terribly hard to get. The hardest things for me to find are lighter (than 50gn) 224 projectiles. And now that I have my 22 rim fire rifles back (they were stolen from me 2 years ago and just got them back in September of 14) 22Lr. I managed to get a decent score at the LGS a few months ago but its back to bone dry. So when it comes back to normal, or as close as it will get, I'll be buying regularly. I think a lot of people have this same idea however. So I expect inflated prices and small stocks are here for awhile yet.
Old January 10, 2015, 12:29 PM   #19
Hammerhead

I learned that paranoia really pays off sometimes. (keeping the cupboards well stocked, just in case)
Old January 10, 2015, 12:35 PM   #20
Nick_C_S

Quote:
lamarw said: I posted the following under a different thread yesterday:

"Just as the "Big Shortage" appeared on the horizon, I stocked up with over a grand's worth of Win 231, Unique, Red Dot, and Winchester large and small pistol primers from Powder Valley.
I know you did. That's what prompted me to start this thread
Old January 10, 2015, 12:50 PM   #21
lamarw

Thanks Nick C S,

I also learned to take the hint from post on this Forum after the National Election and school shooting tragedy to watch out for another shortage.
Old January 10, 2015, 01:12 PM   #22
SamNavy

BIGGEST LESSON LEARNED: Pistol powder disappears off shelves first, is only available occasionally and sporadically from big-box online places and run out-of-stock before you can get to a computer... and come back in stock last (or never).

Here in Hampton Roads, several places have been just fine on rifle powders and primers for over a year. Bullets of all calibers and weights came back in stock online everywhere well over a year ago and are always cheaper (even after shipping) than any LGS anywhere. I personally never completely ran out of sources of bullets.

However, pistol powder is still essentially nowhere to be seen. Any LGS that gets them in are sold to whoever happens to be in the store at the time. I'm about ready to just spring for an 8lb tub of whatever comes online and suck up the hazmat charge, which would normally go against every ounce of my soul, but may not have a choice when my current 4lb tub of Power Pistol runs out.

One more lesson... my AR will shoot 9mm at 1/3 (or less) of the cost of .223 and is just as much fun. I don't know why everybody doesn't have a 9mm upper for practice and fun for their AR. Glad to see PSA is ramping up their 9mm parts game... more companies will follow.
Old January 10, 2015, 01:20 PM   #23
CWKahrFan

I learned that reloaders are awesome!!
Old January 10, 2015, 01:30 PM   #24
reynolds357

I like the shortages. They make me money. At the moment, I am hoarding all the $6 to $9 Ar mags that will sell for $75 each during the next Democrat scare. If not for the mad buying, the mfg's would not have over manufactured and driven the prices to 1980's levels.
Old January 10, 2015, 01:42 PM   #25
rg1

I've been stockpiling since the Klinton-Janet Reno years. Even with the Obama scare I was never short of ammo but some of my powder-bullet supplies ran short for reloading what I did shoot. I learned this time to NOT buy powders that I've never loaded just because they were found on a shelf and could be used for some of my calibers. Now I have several 1 pound cans of powders I don't need and don't care to experiment with. Also, it's good practice to match powders-bullet-primers quantities. No need to have 25 lbs. of a powder with only 1000 bullets in stock nor 10,000 primers and only 4 pounds of powder for a caliber. It's not easy to match component quantities to have on hand. Look for sales and buy in large quantities. Wait if possible to buy your standard powders and bullets and don't panic buy. Keep inventory of your ammo and reloading components and concentrate on what calibers you shoot the most. Not necessary to bulk buy for your one 25-06 when you may only shoot it 20-30 rounds per year but you have more than one .223/5.56 rifle and a few 9MM's or 45 ACP's that get shot a lot. Just my plan but you still get caught up in the panic and wondering how long the shortages will last. Can't be helped!!
What scares me almost as much as the Democrats is the FEW big corporations largely foreign owned that own and control so much of the ammo and component supply. They can create shortages or stop supply tomorrow.

Last edited by rg1; January 10, 2015 at 01:49 PM.