The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 9, 2001, 06:52 PM   #1
RickB

Although I can think of twenty-four reasons not to buy one, how good is the Chinese Winchester 97 repro? Does it have a disconnector? If so, how much different are the internals from an original?
Old April 9, 2001, 11:47 PM   #2
Coronach

Cue Dave McC

blah blah blah communist blah blah blah slave labor blah blah blah supporting the system yadda yadda yadda.

(I agree with him, BTW)

Also, 24 airmen *and* a plane.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old April 10, 2001, 06:24 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, Mike, but I'd prefer to kill my own snakes(G)...
Old April 10, 2001, 10:25 AM   #4
cuerno de chivo

Yeah, whatever! It's a b*tch when you land a spy plane on foreign soil. But does it have a disconnector? And if so, how much different are the internals from an original?

Try asking news:rec.guns, a search on google, or a cowboy action shooter forum, or a retailer/wholesaler web site. Somebody has bound to have something besides political commentary.
Old August 25, 2005, 05:29 PM   #5
rdenisj

Does anyone know if the replica model 97's have the disconnector??
Old August 27, 2005, 12:37 AM   #6
gordo b.

"It's a b*tch when you land a spy plane on foreign soil."
You mean crashed into in international air space and forced down.
Oh well we gave them our atomic secrets and missle guidence tech ect. least they could do is give us a cheap 1897 which CAN be slammed fired by idiots who want to 'spray and pray' while I hang a slug in their eye!
Old August 27, 2005, 02:41 AM   #7
GunsnRovers

Hey, at least they don't own Unocal. They're trying for a Canadian oil company instead.

There are still enough originals out there for not much money. Why buy a Chinese copy.

The reason we're all here is that we're not all there.
Old August 27, 2005, 02:42 PM   #8
Dfariswheel

The NRA American Rifleman did a full writeup of the Norinco Model 97 late last year or early this.

They said the fit and finish wasn't too bad, but not up to American standards.

Overall, they said it was an OK gun, and would be ideal for Cowboy shooting.

Sorry I can't remember, but I "think" they said the Norinco did not have a disconnect.
Old August 28, 2005, 11:40 AM   #9
Runs With Scissors

I've been lurking around for awhile...guess it's as good a time as any to get my feet wet...

My Father in law owns one from his SASS stint, and I got to play with it for a few weeks. (Lost interest within a few days though)

I found it to be a foul, crude, morphodite abomination of a weapon. To compare its action to a cement mixer would be unfair to the cement mixer. The trigger was heavy, and the feeding was inconsistent. (And thats without adding in a jingoistic political speech)

Whether you "could" hold the trigger down and fire it while racking the pump is irrelevant, I could still empty my standard old 870 much faster just because of the problems with smoothness. I suppose one could say I'm making an unfair analogy comparing two pump guns designed during such different time periods, but the original 97s I've handled and the similarly designed Marlins from back then are MUCH MUCH more acceptable.

Hypothetically, I suppose you could get one, take it apart, and spend twelve or fourteen hours going through it with some fine grit sandpaper, a Dremel tool, and some polishing compound, but even then I have my doubts. Afterall why waste your time polishing a errr....ahem.....piece of fecal matter that can occasionally be found on the back of ones shoe...

My experience wasn't a pleasant one, but if you're hell bent and determined to pick one up I know a crotchetty old man that'll sell his for cheap...

Hope I could shed some light on your query since I've had the (mis?) fortune of pragmatic experience with one...