The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 5, 2017, 09:53 AM   #26
Jacket67

I fully intend on getting training, we actually had a conversation about that last night! I will most likely take a ccw course berfore getting my ccw license. I understand it's importance. It's like getting a driver's license without ever having drivers ed.

As for the guns, I've explained to her that the best safety is the one between the ears and that most ND's happen because of mishandling or bad safety practices. But I do see the heavy first pull of the sig's DA trigger being of value to me as a first time handgun buyer simply because accidents do happen, and it's less likely to accidentally set that round off.

With that said, she and I are going to have a range day between now and April. There's a really good range in her hometown that's a glock dealer, and also has a few sigs to rent (it's where I rented the p229 I shot before). We were both taught how to shoot on the Beretta 92, but I want to see if she still likes a DA/SA trigger as much as she thinks. I want her to shoot both the sig and the glock side-by-side and see which one she finds easier and more comfortable to use.

As some of you have mentioned, what's probably going to happen is me buying the sig first if for no other reason than household peace. Then get a glock for myself later on, or if I end up loving the sig, then getting a different model for myself. But we will just have to see after I get her to the range.
Old February 5, 2017, 05:03 PM   #27
Spats McGee
Staff

In your OP, you mentioned having done a lot of research, and I try really, really hard to stick with the choices mentioned by a given poster . . . . However, this time I have to make an exception and point out that there are several reputable polymer 9mm pistols in that same "Goldilocks" size range that do have thumb safeties. The Ruger SR9c and S&W M&P9c come to mind.
Old February 5, 2017, 07:04 PM   #28
rodfac

Great plan, Jacket, why it seems only yesterday that I bought my blushing bride her first shotgun...the sheer joy in her eyes as she unwrapped that blued steel beauty, and the pride that she undoubtedly had as she bragged about it to her friends that settled on a mere diamond pendant...It's been 47 years now, and still, if you can believe it, she mentions that thoughtful first gift! Usually after a few drinks at a Christmas party!

And I note you've already got the Glock in your sights...heh heh...you'll do well, Pilgrim, if you keep your top knot!

All kidding aside, it sounds like you have a great relationship, and she shares your concern for your family's safety and protection. Humor her in whatever she decides, and make it a FUN day for all.

Best Regards, Rod (married to the same great girl for 46+ years now...but then I always had better taste in women than she did in men!)
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; February 5, 2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old February 5, 2017, 08:30 PM   #29
Jacket67

I guess we'll just have to see what happens come April. I'll post an update then!
Old February 6, 2017, 11:36 AM   #30
JDBerg

Quote:
I'm stuck between these two as an HD/CCW firearm
Holster availability will argue in favor of the Glock 19, that SP2022 isn't bad but I prefer my classic P-series Sigs. IMHO, for an experienced shooter, there is nothing objectionable about a Glock 19 that some dedicated practice & training won't resolve!
Old February 6, 2017, 07:06 PM   #31
SpareMag

Either one will work well. Both the Glock and the Sig are tools - either have any long-term collectibility. Get what the GF prefers, later get what YOU prefer.

Some Sigs stimulate emotion over build quality and history. The 2022 aint one of those.

I love my Sigs. I have Glocks because everyone needs a reliable, widely-supported tool.