The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 13, 2014, 07:12 PM   #1
pedro45

60 yr old rookie with first gun permit needs advice

Hi folks, nice to meet you all. So I just got my first gun license, an LTC in Massachusetts, joined a club, don't really know jack, but want to buy my first handgun that is a good concealed carry gun. By the way, I've never owned any gun.
So now at the range I've noticed I'm a decent shot with a 22 pistol, but my accuracy isn't very good with higher caliber pistols yet. So what handguns would you recommend that are good concealed carry, size-wise, have enough stopping power? Thank you so much for any advice you could offer to a newbie, thanks, pete
Old March 13, 2014, 07:18 PM   #2
PetahW

Welcome to TFL, Pete !

I would respectfully suggest getting some firing experience with as many different brands & types (revolver, autoloader, etc) as you can, before making a buying decision.

The reason, is that you may very well hate what someone else loves & recommends - no matter how much eye appeal a particular make/type has for you, before you actually handle & shoot whatever.

Your gun club offers an excellent chance to do just that, by you interacting with the other members. (Most gun club members are usually more than happy to accommodate a novice).

Old March 13, 2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Dragline45

I also live in MA, and it is tough to be a gun owner in this state. Currently my two carry guns are a S&W Bodyguard .380 and a S&W Shield in 9mm, I would highly recommend the Shield. I mostly carry the Shield, the Bodyguard is my work carry gun as it can fit right in my pants pocket.

The Shield is very easy to conceal, comfortable to carry all day, surprisingly accurate for a gun of it's size, and manages recoil very well. They have them in stock at Four Seasons in Woburn if you want to check them out. Check out their website http://www.fsguns.com/fsg_new_hg.html. They have some of the better prices on guns an ammo in all of Massachusetts..

Last edited by Dragline45; March 13, 2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old March 13, 2014, 07:33 PM   #4
X_shooter

Welcome to the wonderful world of firearms. The answers to your questions are difficult to answer because they are really depending on what you want to do and what you are ready to do. My advice is to practice, practice, practice. Rent a few guns and try them out before you buy in a caliber that you can hit something reliably. Become intimate on every aspect of the gun you eventually purchase. Practice, practice, practice.

You would be surprised what people carry concealed so do what feels good for you. Derringers to desert eagles are options if you can draw and shoot them. I range from a keltec pf9 to a glock 36 up to a full size 1911. It depends on where I am going and what I am wearing that dictates my daily carry.

Read these forums!
Old March 13, 2014, 07:34 PM   #5
spacemanspiff

Learn the basics of shooting on a .22 pistol, grip, stance, sight picture, etc. You should be able to find someone who will give you shooting lessons. Learn it right from the start, otherwise if you jump up to larger calibers or more complicated functions on different types of handguns, you may find yourself having to UNlearn bad habits.

As far as recommendations, the gun that fits my hand best and carries on my body well might not fit you or your body. You really do have to get out there and get hands on some products.

My personal preference, in a 9mm is something like a Sig 228. In 45acp, a 1911.
Old March 13, 2014, 07:45 PM   #6
Joe_Pike

I would say it depends on your carry method. If you can conceal a larger gun in 9mm, say an SA XD9 or glock 19, then recoil will be very manageable and learning to shoot it well will be easier. If you are planning on pocket carry then that is a bit of a different story since most pocket guns will be lighter and be a bit more difficult to learn to shoot well for some folks.
Old March 13, 2014, 09:40 PM   #7
Deaf Smith

Pedro,

Ok, bigger guns are not so good for you right now, right?

Ok. How about a Glock 42 .380!

It's almost summer and a smaller gun is easier to hid.

The Glock is very easy to shoot and understand.

Or if you prefer a wheelgun, how about the Ruger LCR in .22 magnum?

Yes later you can upgun, but those two are easy to pack in the summer and not hard to shoot at all.

Deaf
Old March 13, 2014, 10:09 PM   #8
Kennydale

Picked up a handgun for the first time late Nov 2012 (Age 62). Went with an experienced friend. Got the Safety rundown then for the next two hours tried out his wife's .38 pistol (Under whelmed) His Ruger LC9, and his Ruger SR40C. The .40 S&W WOWed me. And i shot it well (for a newbie). So that's what I bought, before Christmas that year. Now I have a CHL and have about 24 hours of range time (Took a basic handgun class plus the conceal license required class) I would try to either find someone to have you shoot a variety of guns, or rent some. My wife's friend carries a .38, and though she took her CHL using a 9mm Semi, she finds it difficult to handle it. I would use what is the easiest and train as often as possible with it.
Old March 14, 2014, 02:25 AM   #9
ClydeFrog

Hi Pete, new shooter....

Hello & welcome;
If you are new to the shooting sports & firearms, Id start by renting a few handguns then see what fits your needs & budget. A .22LR DA(double action) revolver will do fine for target/training. If you want a defense/carry type weapon, you may look at a new .38spl or .357magnum 3"/4" barrel revolver.
A S&W L frame 686+, a Ruger GP100, a Ruger SP101, a S&W model 66.
You can train with .38spl target loads then advance up to .38spl +P JHPs or .357magnum JHPs for regular defense.
A semi-auto pistol could do okay too but many gun owners/CCW permit holders start with a .22LR or .38spl first.
For semi-auto pistols, Id suggest the simple, robust, easy to carry Glock 23 or larger 22. It's a .40S&W caliber but with after market kits or barrels can be quickly converted to .357sig, 9x19mm, .22LR. For one Glock pistol, you can shoot four popular calibers.
Keep in mind that MA has strict gun & use of force laws. Id also advise you take a few safety & tactics classes. Both Smith and Wesson & SIG Sauer(NH) offer classes for gun owners. SIG also provides weapons to lane shooters/students.
Learn to keep your firearm(s) clean & check them often for any damage or problems. You do not need a lot of gun oil or cleaning products. A little goes a long way. There are many top quality CLPs(clean lube protect) out there.
I'd add that it's best to pay a bit more for top end gear & equipment. A holster that fails or a magazine holder that breaks is not what you want.
Finally, Id suggest you buy or carry only well made factory ammunition for your new pistol or revolver. No reloads or hand-loads.
Some gunners feel they can bench load better rounds or are superior engineers to Remington or Winchester or Cor-Bon but Id stay with well made, proven loads for a carry gun.

Stay safe, learn a lot & have a good time.
Clyde
www.nra.org www.midwayusa.com www.cabelas.com www.brownells.com www.mpro7.com www.gunzilla.us www.5.11tactical.com www.glockstore.com www.deltapress.com www.gunvideo.com www.policehq.com www.safariland.com www.slickguns.com www.gunlawguide.com www.usgalco.com www.galls.com
Old March 14, 2014, 09:30 AM   #10
Khromo

The fact that you're not very accurate with larger calibers should be a concern.

The best firearm for personal defense is usually the most effective chambering that you can shoot well. If that is a .22 LR, I would strongly suggest some professional training before you go gun shopping.

Most men and a small majority of women can easily handle .38's and 9 mm.'s, and they constitute the lower end of the reliable defense cartridge spectrum.

You can't make an intelligent decision on a gun for personal defense if you don't yet know what you are doing. Recoil sensitivity in a new guy usually means there is a fundamental technique problem, so I would suggest you get that sorted out before you try to find the right gun.

Find a good class and get some competent training first, and I think the process will start to look much less confusing.
Old March 14, 2014, 09:52 AM   #11
PetahW

A Massachussett's (MA based - private, not state) firearms school would be a good thing for you to check out - this one's in Holliston.

http://www.massfirearmsschool.com/

IDK where your location in Mass is, but if you're near me (I'm near SE Mass), maybe we could go for a coffee and/or a senior citizen show & tell - PM me, if you want.

Last edited by PetahW; March 14, 2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old March 14, 2014, 12:09 PM   #12
WESHOOT2

Ditto "38 Special or 357 Magnum revolver, 3--4" barrel, S&W or Ruger".

Here's why: It is very easy to confirm a revolver is 'safe', or 'loaded'.
Old March 14, 2014, 03:32 PM   #13
salvadore

A J frame .38 is a nice SD carry gun, relatively inexpensive ammo, I'd go with a SS one just to reduce recoil. I'm not sure why anyone is recommending a .380 unless ammo has become more available. Personally I think a 317 smith with 8rds of the .22 or your choice would make a fabulous SD shooter, but then again you have to find one. Also the ability to shoot hundreds of .22 rimfires at a small price is a good thing (something you should be doing if you're a geezer new to firearms)..OK, I'm 62. I usually carry a light weight Colt Commander .45acp or a Smith J frame .38.

If I lived in mass, I'd move.
Old March 14, 2014, 03:36 PM   #14
Dragline45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvadore
I'm not sure why anyone is recommending a .380 unless ammo has become more available.
Quote:
Personally I think a 317 smith with 8rds of the .22 or your choice would make a fabulous SD shooter, but then again you have to find one. Also the ability to shoot hundreds of .22 rimfires at a small price is a good thing
Why would a .380 be a bad recommendation based on ammo availability but a .22 wouldn't? .22 is by far the scarcest round out there right now, .380 is alot easier to find.

Quote:
If I lived in mass, I'd move.
Being close to my family and friends is far more important to me than less strict gun laws. I have my carry license, and I have high capacity magazines for several guns. For the most part I have all that I need as far as being a gun owner.

Last edited by Dragline45; March 14, 2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old March 14, 2014, 04:49 PM   #15
pedro45

Wow, I'm a member of a few forums online, a travel forum and a music forum, and I tell you, you can ask those sites questions but don't hold your breath waiting for an answer. I am blown away at the quick and thoughtful responses I've received here. I'm joining a second club, going to do a lot of shooting and take some lessons as well. An important thing I failed to mention is that I live in Massachusetts, and being brand new to this game I had NO idea that Mass was considered one of the worst states for a gun owner, even more so for a concealed carrier. Additionally, it doesn't even seem easy to find out exactly what the darn rules are! Anyway, I travel a lot and a friend suggested getting a Utah LTC because of the many states they seem to have reciprocity with. Now I don't know if places rent guns in my area, I haven't heard of that, but man that would be great. So again, thanks so much for the advice! I'm taking it to heart and have already researched a number of the guns mentioned here, as well as the great gun videos on Youtube. Cheers
Old March 14, 2014, 04:55 PM   #16
WESHOOT2

in the Mass mess

Look here www.uspsa.org and find a local club.
Go, visit, watch, ask, learn.

Maybe join, and compete. Gives shooting 'purpose'.
Fun, too
Old March 14, 2014, 07:59 PM   #17
Dragline45

As you just found out MA is indeed one of the worst states for gun owners, count yourself lucky that you got approved for a carry license as many towns will not issue them. You will find when researching pistols that some are not available for sale in MA, since to be sold in MA they have to be submitted for approval and make the roster. Type into google Massachusetts Firearms Roster and there will be a PDF of what guns are available to buy in MA, note that even though Glock's are on that list they are not available to the general public and can only be bought used. Also check out the link I posted earlier for the Four Seasons website as most of the pistols you can buy are listed on their website, they also have a great used section on there that they update frequently. If you have any specific questions regarding laws/policies for MA gun owners also check out the forum www.northeastshooters.com and post in the section for Massachusetts listen under Gun Laws. Many of the members over there are well versed on MA firearms laws, and many are MA law enforcement officers.

Last edited by Dragline45; March 14, 2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old March 14, 2014, 08:22 PM   #18
pedro45

Oh man, that's hitting pay dirt, thanks, man. A place to research what I can and can't do, super. Now one other question, even though you can't buy a Glock in Mass, can I buy one elsewhere, used or otherwise, and bring it home and carry it concealed?
Old March 14, 2014, 08:40 PM   #19
PetahW

Unless you're also an FFL holder, any handgun bought outside of MA must be shipped to a Mass FFL for transfer to you.

No Mass FFL can legally accept any handgun that's not on the Mass-Approved list, aka: an unlisted/unapproved handgun.

The only used Glock you can legally obtain has to come from within Mass.

Old March 14, 2014, 10:06 PM   #20
1stmar

The best carry gun is the one you WILL carry. Be careful about purchasing too much gun. If it's too heavy, you won't carry it. If you can't easily conceal it, you won't carry it. Attire is very important, especially in summer. In winter you can easily carry most anything easily, however in the summer with no jacket and shorts or a t shirt .. It's not so easy. So I would suggest start small and light with sufficient caliber (380. 38spl).. Ruger makes great options, lcp and lcr are both light and small.
Old March 14, 2014, 11:21 PM   #21
Buzzcook

Unless there is some urgent need to get a gun, take your time.

While this page is intended for women, it has lots of valuable information for anyone. http://www.corneredcat.com/

As has been mentioned getting some classes under your belt before you choose a gun is a good idea. Some begining classes let you try out a variety of guns.

You might also consider getting a used .22 pistol of some sort before you buy a concealed carry piece.
They let you fire many rounds down range for not too much money. The experience you get from practicing with a .22 is easily transferable to a centerfire handgun.

Don't get too caught up in picking a cartridge. imho it is much more important that you pick a gun that fits your hand.

Just one word of caution, I am not comfortable shooting guns that weigh less than 20oz. for more than a few shots.
While a light gun is easier to carry they can be a chore to shoot and it follows that you might not practice with it as much as you should.
Old March 15, 2014, 03:20 AM   #22
ClydeFrog

Snub revolvers....

I agree with Pax(a forum member).
Small frame or J frame size snubs are not ideal for a new or entry level gun owner IMO.
They may be good for carry but target shooting/marksmanship is where a new gunner should start.
After a period with a medium size 3"/4" barrel revolver or a semi-auto pistol, then Id suggest a smaller carry gun.
Remember the old target shooting saying: Only the hits count.
Old March 15, 2014, 02:42 PM   #23
salvadore

Sorry I got you all twitterpated Dragline. I didn't know that .22s were in such meager supply, I average about one or two bulk packs a month, and I'm thinking a 50 rd box of .380s is almost as much the bulk packs of 500 +.22s.

Of course I don't know for certain how much .380s are having never owned one, but if I did I'd be casting and reloading them just like every other caliber I own, there is no ammo shortage at my house.

Anyway, I'm sure you have a swell family, and as far as I can tell from your posts, MA and you are perfect for each other.
Old March 15, 2014, 02:59 PM   #24
Mastrogiacomo

I'd advise a good revolver, a SP101 3" Ruger for example...or a 3" S&W 60...revolvers are reliable, affordable, and easy to use and maintain. When you get more shooting experience, then you'll know what you want in a semiautomatic, assuming you still want one.

Laura
Old March 15, 2014, 06:06 PM   #25
Dragline45

Quote:
Sorry I got you all twitterpated Dragline. I didn't know that .22s were in such meager supply, I average about one or two bulk packs a month, and I'm thinking a 50 rd box of .380s is almost as much the bulk packs of 500 +.22s.
Their is a nationwide shortage of .22lr, online retailers are sold out with no ETA and usually wont allow back orders. When shops actually do get .22 ammo in, and these days its not often, there is usually a strict 1-2 box limit per customer. A good deal of shops are holding on to their .22 ammo and only offering it to customers who buy guns chambered in .22 that day. When it shows up in classifieds, online auctions, and gunshows, they are selling anywhere from $60-$120 for 500rd bulk packs which used to sell for $20, and some people are even buying them for as much as $175+. I can walk into just about any shop and either find 50rd target boxes of .380 or 20rd boxes of the premium SD stuff, the last time I was able to find any .22 ammo for regular prices was 3 months ago and they were 333rd bulk packs and I was only able to buy 2 of them. The next day I went back and it was all gone.

Quote:
and as far as I can tell from your posts, MA and you are perfect for each other.
Not sure if that is supposed to be an insult? All I can say is if it wasn't for Massachusetts you would probably be speaking with a British accent right now

Tags
concealed , less kick