The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 19, 2008, 11:57 AM   #1
Jampard

Ranger .22 Pump-Action Maker & DOM?

I have a .22 pump-action rifle with the name "Ranger" on the left side of the receiver. The only other markings are ".22 S. L. & LR." on the barrel, and a serial no. "10948" with a "K" underneath it on the bottom front of the receiver. It has checkering on the stocks.

I was told that it was made by Ranger Arms Co. in Texas, but I'm not sure that this is correct.

I've found out that it might be a Savage Model 29A sold by Sears with the name "Ranger" on it. I've seen some pics of this model, and they look like mine. I think a Stevens Model 75 is also similar.

I'll try to post some pics of mine if that will help identify it. I would also like to find out about when it was made.

Jim
Old October 20, 2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Jampard

Pics of my Ranger

Here are the pics of my Ranger rifle that I described above.

I hope that this helps to identify it.

Jim
Old October 20, 2008, 01:51 PM   #3
SDC

It certainly follows the Savage pattern for pump .22s, and rifles like this were often sold through various hardware and department stores as "Rangers"; they were sold in Canada for a while by Eaton's, and I'm sure Sears would have sold them too.
Old January 13, 2009, 02:48 AM   #4
EdH

Here is a link to a Schematic on the rifle. I have one too. It was given to my by my father in law. I needed parts and an online friend gave me this site. It's a SAVAGE, FOX, Springfield & Stevens model 29A.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...Model=089Zz29A