The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Artista_CO

.40 S&W 180grRanier/Hodgdon SP-38 data

Hey all. I am getting ready to load a thoudsand rounds of .40 S&W. I will be loading Ranier 180g plated bullets using Hodgdon HP-38 powder. Unfortunately, I cannot get exact data for that round. Can you help?

Hodgdon says HDY XTP 180gr FMJ uses 4.1gr of SP-38. 1.125 C.O.L.

Unfortunately, I found out after purchasing a full box of Ranier (plated) bullets that they should be considered lead bullets - and to use that loading data. If that cannot be found, to reduce the powder load by 10%. If I use Raniers' formula - that gives me 3.7 (3.69) gr of HP-38. Has anyone loaded this before? does that sound right?

I will be using this ammo for practicing drills, etc. not 'target' per se. I am not looking for spot on accuracy - but rather working on 'combat accurate' hits from 3-7 yards. I do not yet have a chrono - so I cannot check the speed.

BTW, I will be shooting an XD-40 4" barrel.

Thanks - this is my first big run of reloads (my Christmas present) and i don't wanna screw it up.
Old January 7, 2011, 06:25 PM   #2
BigJimP

I don't use HP-38 so I can't give you any input on that powder specifically - but I did see the recipe in the Hodgden site that you reference.

I have loaded the same bullet - and I think you're fine ....and in fact I think you might find that you'll be fine up around the minimum of the recipe at around 4.1 grains / but you're smart to load a couple of rounds at 3.7, a couple at 3.8, a couple at 3.9, 4.0 and 4.1 and maybe 4.2 ....( and single fire them - to test them for accuracy / and to make sure the gun cycles properly ) .....

but the reason I say up to 4.1 or even 4.2 is that I'm looking at the velocity and the pressure - when compared to the load that I've been sucessful with -using the same bullet...

your recipe says 4.1 gr 797 fps and 23,800 pressure

I use Hodgdon TiteGroup powder ...and I've been loading the Rainier bullets at 4.3gr of TiteGroup giving me about 895 fps and pressure of 27,000 with no issues.

The issue on Rainier - is the electro plated coating ...is a little inconsistent / if you weigh out a handfull of your bullets you might find some at 175gr and some at 185 gr - and the coating can be a little thin.... so in general, you don't want to push them too fast / or at too high a pressure ...but in my experience under 1200 fps - they should be fine.

I shoot all my .40S&W reloads in a variety of Sigs - a 226, a 239 or an X-Five ... and all of them seem to like the load just fine. While I will tell you that a Montana Gold bullet, is a much better product, a lot more consistent, its also usually a little more expensive - and I like it a lot better than Rainier - but I shoot a lot of Rainier bullets for practice in 9mm, .40S&W, .45 acp and even in .357mag / and they're fine, if you don't push them too fast. .44 mag is the only caliber I tried Rainiers in ...and the jackets were fragmenting as the rounds left the barrel ...so I quit using them in .44 mag.

If you see any fragmenting .... 7 holes in paper ....after you fire 5 rounds ....then you've definitely got them too hot ...and you need to back off. But using Rainier's 10% rule the range on the published recipe for HP-38 would be 3.7gr - 4.5 gr ... but I don't think I'd go over 4.2gr on them ...at least not consistently ...until you've tested them more ...

Last edited by BigJimP; January 7, 2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old January 7, 2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Artista_CO

Thanks! Well, I'd rather be using their HS-6 (better they say for .40), but this is what the local shop has when I bought the powder - when it was pretty scarce. I also will be loading .45 though, and this will work for that.
Old January 7, 2011, 07:08 PM   #4
BigJimP

Hodgdon has a lot of good powders ..... I like TiteGroup in all of my handgun loads for 9mm - all the way up to .44 mag ...

but some of my buddies are using Hodgdon Universal and even Longshot in some loads as well ....

but you have to go with what you can find too ...
Old January 8, 2011, 01:02 AM   #5
BDS-THR

3.8 gr will work but is a very light recoil powder puff load, yet still accurate.

4.1-4.3 gr will give you mild to moderate recoil and very accurate loads.

4.5+ gr will give you moderate recoil and accurate loads approaching factory
FMJ target loads.

All the loads fed/cycled well in my G22/G27, M&P40 and various other pistols. They were all loaded to 1.125" OAL.

Quote:
I also will be loading .45 though, and this will work for that.
5.0 gr of HP38/W231 is my favorite load for 200/230 gr 45ACP bullets. Very accurate load.