The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 17, 2024, 03:59 AM   #1
DaleA

Ruger LCP $180 at Palmetto State Armory

I wonder if Ruger is going to discontinue the little .380 pistol? They've had it for quite a while even after they came out with the LCP II and the LCP Max.

Maybe it's just that after so long they've paid off all the R&D and tooling costs etc. etc. and can sell the gun for just a little over what it costs to make it.

I've fired one a couple of times and it's snappy but not objectionable. It really is a 'pocket' pistol that easily fits in a regular pants pocket if you want to go that way.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ruge...6&utm_content=
Old January 17, 2024, 11:54 AM   #2
khegglie

Hope not, they are almost an industry standard.
I have LCP'S, but usually carry a P3AT KelTec because it it is slimmer profiled.
Old January 17, 2024, 02:53 PM   #3
Armybrat

I paid $170 for my last LCP on a sale at Dick’s Sporting Goods before they went woke prior to the pandemic.
As you said, they are the industry standard for pocket .380 pistols.
Bought my first one in 2008 for $300 at the local Academy, and it served as my primary EDC until early last year when a new LCP Max replaced it.

2008 LCP:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 93EEF307-28AE-46F4-9673-C63C50F9F5E0.jpeg (61.2 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Armybrat; January 17, 2024 at 02:58 PM.
Old January 17, 2024, 03:31 PM   #4
Armybrat

2016 LCP:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 317D1222-E976-40C9-9304-AC3513B70AFD.jpeg (61.1 KB, 64 views)
Old January 17, 2024, 09:53 PM   #5
Lurch37

I must have missed the sale. That link takes me to an LCP for $220
Old January 17, 2024, 10:05 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

There were minimal R&D costs, as the gun is almost a verbatim copy of the Kektec P3AT, and I'm sure Ruger recouped their tooling costs in the first year of production! Ruger runs these sales to undercut other manufacturers.
Old January 18, 2024, 10:08 AM   #7
wild cat mccane

That is normal pricing on any day on gun.deals

I have bought from psa, but their deals...tend to be MAP scams. I really don't know how PSA hasn't run afoul of the FTC.

For example, today there are multiple listing at that exact price and PSA is currently almost at the bottom for price:
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/736676037018

Gun.deals for low price buying

Last edited by wild cat mccane; January 18, 2024 at 05:45 PM.
Old January 18, 2024, 07:31 PM   #8
dogtown tom

Quote:
wild cat mccane ...I have bought from psa, but their deals...tend to be MAP scams.
Unlikely. Manufacturers routinely enforce MAP because it protects the small timers.
And what is a "MAP scam"?

BTW...Ruger doesn't have a MAP policy.

Quote:
I really don't know how PSA hasn't run afoul of the FTC.
Huh?

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old January 19, 2024, 08:38 AM   #9
DaleA

Yeah, as someone noted the Ruger LCP $180 price was a one day deal.

I do not check Palmetto State Armory every day so I'm sure I've missed some really good deals too but if you spend all your time at the keyboard you don't get to do other stuff. I'm pretty sure I spend too much time online as it is.

I generally like full sized guns that soak up the recoil but the Ruger Light Compact Pistol and Ruger Light Compact Revolver, looked to be very well made firearms.

I've handled the Ruger LCP Max (about $350) and thought I'd rather have that than the plain-jane LCP but the LCP can be had at my local Fleet Farm for about $210 and that price difference is a major factor for me.
Old January 20, 2024, 07:39 PM   #10
Laz

I’m personally very fond of the Gen 2 LCP coupled with the factory 7 round magazine which makes a large difference in handling with a small penalty in size.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old January 20, 2024, 07:45 PM   #11
Mosin44az

I actually like my LCP Custom better than my Max. Shoots on point while my Max always seems to hit low.

Took 300 rounds for my Max to be reliable also, I think the reliability of the single stack LCP should be better.

And if you add the finger extension on the mag base, and a Hogue wraparound grip, the control is enhanced and the recoil is reduced substantially .
Old January 21, 2024, 09:40 AM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA View Post
I wonder if Ruger is going to discontinue the little .380 pistol? They've had it for quite a while even after they came out with the LCP II and the LCP Max.

Maybe it's just that after so long they've paid off all the R&D and tooling costs etc. etc. and can sell the gun for just a little over what it costs to make it.

I've fired one a couple of times and it's snappy but not objectionable. It really is a 'pocket' pistol that easily fits in a regular pants pocket if you want to go that way.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ruge...6&utm_content=
Before they came out with the LCP II, they deeply discounted the original LCP. And, hay look, the LCP is still here.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 21, 2024, 10:04 AM   #13
Drm50

The LCP is the most dependable of its class. Not discounting LCP II, just have no experience other than shooting a few mags on range. I encourage their purchase to those 1st time SD buyers. They are simple to use and small enough they will be carried when the BlasterX some Hollywood hero totes is home in the drawer.
Old January 21, 2024, 02:41 PM   #14
Armybrat

This looks like a decent deal for a stainless LCP @ $204…
(In stock for the past several days)

https://store.thegundock.com/product...stols-handguns
Old January 21, 2024, 09:33 PM   #15
Forte S+W

The Ruger LCP is basically the everyman's .380 ACP Pocket Pistol. They're cheap, reliable, and of good quality.

The only folks I've ever met who had anything bad to say about them were Kel-Tec Fans, polymer haters, and folks who don't like .380 ACP in general.
Old January 21, 2024, 10:06 PM   #16
wild cat mccane

Just to be clear, my link above shows LCPs for 180, without sale, from multiple places.

Yes. I would buy the stainless form the get go.
Old January 22, 2024, 02:57 AM   #17
TruthTellers

As long as the LCP 2 is still around I dont much see the point of the LCP, unless it's got to do with California's handgun roster.
Old January 22, 2024, 06:55 AM   #18
Armybrat

Of course the LCP is not going to last through thousands of rounds over time.

Not like my Colt Government .380 or old Remington Model 51…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5AA92718-F951-46BA-ABF5-2E111EB4B96E.jpeg (92.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpeg 0ECCDDEC-2072-47F2-8B29-909A3445A7E4.jpeg (102.1 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Armybrat; January 22, 2024 at 07:03 AM.
Old January 22, 2024, 01:03 PM   #19
wild cat mccane

It's because the LCP2 is closer in thickness to the P365 than the LCP and LCP2 are.

I honestly don't see the point of the LCP 2 given the thickness.

Thankfully we both win in the current selection
Old January 22, 2024, 02:01 PM   #20
dogtown tom

Quote:
Armybrat Of course the LCP is not going to last through thousands of rounds over time.

Not like my Colt Government .380 or old Remington Model 51…
Sarcasm?
Or do you not know:
The Model 51 will crack the breech block eventually, sooner with hot loads.
The Colt Government .380 has a reputation for soft slides and barrels, eventually it will peen itself to death.

The first gun I ever bought was a Remington Model 51. I gave $75 for it at a gun show in Little Rock when I was sixteen. First year production. I no longer shoot it because I have others that are "shooter grade".

The Colt Government Model .380 also sees limited use.

When I go to blasting .380's nowadays it usually a Star SS.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old January 22, 2024, 03:16 PM   #21
Armybrat

Yours maybe, not mine so far.
I shoot factory ammo, not hot loads.

There’s a reason some manufacturers don’t recommend +p type loads, especially for the LCP.
Old January 23, 2024, 06:51 PM   #22
dogtown tom

Quote:
Armybrat Yours maybe, not mine so far.
Wel none of mine have, but thats because I know what may happen.

Quote:
I shoot factory ammo, not hot loads.
Same here.

Quote:
There’s a reason some manufacturers don’t recommend +p type loads, especially for the LCP.
That's because there is no SAAMI spec for .380acp+P. Any company can churn out .380acp and call it "+P".

And the reason SAAMI won't issue specs for .380+P? Same reasons why they won't do it for .25acp+P and .32acp+P..........too many handguns out there that are century old designs that could not safely handle such ammunition.