The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 17, 2006, 09:16 AM   #26
auburnboattail

Home Defense

Homeless drug addicts, looking for money or easily fenceable goods.
Live in remote Minnesota at the time on Christmas tree farm.
Dogs alerted me something wrong. Blue healer dogs known for biting power,
dogs found 2 guys in barn,Dogs chased them and downed them near roadway I went inside found guys, they ran out back door,They shot and missed, I shot and didn't miss. Called sheriff via cell. They wrapped up the scene.The follow up is more brutal than the crime. You feel like you did something wrong instead of the vermin who violated your rights.

If were not for the dogs I would not have been alerted and probably would have been overpowered by the 4. Because we tended the christmas trees and had bear and wolves frequently on the farm, I had a ritual of always having a firearm with me or my family simply to scare them off .
The guys located the farm simply becuse it was well known as a pick and cut tree farm and they figured we had large amounts of cash on a daily basis.

It is not anything anybody wants to experience. I was terrified beyond belief but I guess reflex for survival takes over.

It is just an example of why we must never surrender our 2nd ammendment rights.

We had excellent police dept. but simply they can not be there when you need them, they are not preventers of crime, they simply bring people to justice after the crime has been committed.
Old December 17, 2006, 02:46 PM   #27
FirstFreedom

Quote:
The beast in question was an ostrich that had escaped from a nearby farm and the owners were quite anxious to have it back
Lol - the other day there were a pair of emus roaming around my deer camp - weren't the least bit scared of me or my dog - came right up to camp to investigate. Neighbors and I figure they must have escaped from someone's farm. Neighbors feed them so now they're hanging around, apparently indefinitely.
Old December 18, 2006, 09:35 AM   #28
V4Vendetta

Fortunately, I have never had a experience like Auburns.

There have been several nights though where I heard my dogs barking & I go outside to investigate with a .22 in case it's possums but nothing happens. We have a lot of critters like possums & a few raccoon's.

Within each one of us there is a inch of hope, of will, of integrity. We must never lose or give away that inch. For within it we are free.
Old December 18, 2006, 09:39 AM   #29
marlboroman84

Almost once, but it turned out to be one of my drunken friends coming over for a middle of the night visit. Always good to make positive ID.
Old December 18, 2006, 04:24 PM   #30
Maser

We had a rather scary experience at my house a couple years ago. This crazy nut who used to do buisiness with my dad was making lots of nasty threats on our answering machine. Was saying crazy stuff like he was going to kill him his wife and kids (me and little brother). The threats got so scary that my dad gave me 5 00 buckshot shells and told me to keep my Mossberg loaded and have my little bro sleep in my room with me. Luckily nothing ever happend and the next morning my dad turned in the answering machine to the police and they caught the guy for making murder threats.

Other than that time there has been a few times where my dad would take out his HD shotgun to check for noise or me taking my 10/22 out back to make sure possums weren't after the rabbit food or the rabbits.
Old December 19, 2006, 02:25 AM   #31
Guy B. Meredith

Re: "Just keep a field or competition gun around and it will serve your needs." I wouldn't want an expensive firearm knocking about in the PD evidence locker--one of the reasons I don't use my revolvers for HD.

I slept through an incident in our front yard where I might have had real reason to dig out the shotgun. Gun dropped by BGs just outside our bedroom window.

Quite a few years back the city police copter spent a lot of time checking out the neighborhood and I decided to load up the bolt action Mossberg 195K I had at the time.

A few days ago and 400 miles from the above incident the SO copter circled quite a while. I called the SO and they would not give details but said I should remain where I felt safe. For me that meant breaking out the Mossberg Persuader with 00 buckshot and rifled slugs. Turned out some guy with a warrant for his arrest had bailed at a traffic stop outside our senior (read: easy victims) community. He had approached one resident's daughter for a ride during the time the SO was looking for him.

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!
Old December 19, 2006, 08:09 AM   #32
Daves-got-guns

i had a missed incident a few years back, with a girl i knew who still lives at the same house 1 block away. her mom had a b/f who wasn't winning at life by anybodys means. They split and he took off with a bunch of one of the daughters stuff, some large amount of coins, credit cards and other things. Well he came back one night when the mom was gone and it was the 16 year old girl and her younger sisters at the house, and was banging around outside, high or something trying to get into the house. The girl called my cousons cellphone who was at my house at the time but she was in the bathroom and had left her phone in her coat pocket or something and didnt get the call. If we would have got the call i probably would have trotted down there with my 12 guage and persuaded him nicely to leave, or face the "music". I tell this story alot on here, mostly cause i felt bad that we never heard the call and what if is one of the worst phrases man ever coined.
Old December 19, 2006, 10:01 PM   #33
howeudew

Wife

15 years ago, we had just moved to Durham, NC. My wife was home alone with our two children. Late at night, she heard someone trying to get into my daughter's bedroom window.

My wife grabbed my old Savage 311 double barrel, and slid the two barrels through the blinds.

The noises quickly stopped, and were never repeated. The funny thing is that my wife had never fired a weapon in her life...she told me that she just hoped the appearance of the barrels might help.

It did!
Old December 26, 2006, 07:38 PM   #34
cowboy4884

Mobile Whore House

I keep an old 16 gauge SXS with an 18" barrel by my front door for what ever loaded with just powder. Full brass cases loaded to the brim with powder. I live in a bad neiborhood and one night had a motorhome parked accross the street with people coming and going. The motorhome was a large one about 40 ft and it was a new one, no plates just a sticker. I went out and asked them to move to a different area and I got flipped off and told to mind my own business. I walked back into my house wearing a cowboy hat, cutoffs and boots grabbed the old SXS and stuck my 1911 in the back of my cutoffs, walked back out to the street on my side and yelled for them to move it on. A couple of guys got out of the motorhome and as soon as they came around the front of the motorhome I pulled both triggers. The sound, the light, the muzzle blast they took of hitting the left rear section of a BMW parked in front of their motorhome. They never even came back to pickup their BMW, a towtruck picked it up a couple of days later. That was 4 years ago and I've never had any problems since.

Ken
Old December 30, 2006, 12:34 AM   #35
guisseppi

yep

I fired on a guy in Columbus Ohio Some 30 years ago, he was in my house stealing my sterio... I caught him in the act, he pulled out a screw driver and attacked me and I shot him in the lower torso with a Star PD .45 acp that was under a cloth on a shelf in my living room... I was arrested but later released, the thief was arrested and served 5 years of a 1 to 10 streatch before he was paroled.. If I had to, I would do it again, but I would aim closer to the 10 ring...
Old December 30, 2006, 01:36 PM   #36
akr

Only thing more revolting than a possum or a skunk is Hillary.
Old December 30, 2006, 03:38 PM   #37
Bentonville

V4Vendetta:OT but concerning your signature: Clothes of Heaven, Yeats I believe. The Choral setting of those lyrics by Z. Randall Stroope is gorgeous. Thanks for that.
Old December 30, 2006, 04:12 PM   #38
V4Vendetta

Thanks. I got it from "Equilibrium".

The William Butler Yeats poem used was published in the collection "The Wind Among the Reeds" (1899). The full text goes: "Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half-light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

Within each one of us there is a inch of hope, of will, of integrity. We must never lose or give away that inch. For within it we are free.