The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 18, 2024, 12:34 PM   #1
Bucksnort1

Taurus PT145

I bought this pistol about ten years ago or so. It came with two magazines. The slide will stay open, after the last round has been fired, with on magazine but not the other. Am I saying correctly that the slide is held open by the back of the magazine? I am not a gunsmith so the only thing I can do is compare the two magazines. I see no difference in the two magazines. Of course, it could be a very slight difference the magazines which is not noticeable to me.

Any suggestion?
Old January 18, 2024, 12:59 PM   #2
Super Sneaky Steve

The follower should contact the slide stop. First check to see if it does. If it doesn't, you need to modify or replace the follower. If it does contact the slide stop you aren't getting enough pressure. Try replacing the magazine spring.
Old January 18, 2024, 02:52 PM   #3
veprdude

There are 2 versions of the PT145 magazine. One has a very sharp follower and the other one is more like a shelf.

I have found it to be pretty common on Taurus magazines for the spring to be installed backwards, which puts pressure on the back of the follower instead of the front. The front of the follower needs the end of the spring in the "up" position to push the follower up and tilt the rounds up. This could also affect the mag catch.

Then the 3rd option is that you have a dud magazine. This is also pretty common. QC isn't where Taurus tends to shine.
Old January 18, 2024, 03:09 PM   #4
veprdude

Old January 18, 2024, 03:12 PM   #5
veprdude

This is the direction the spring is supposed to be in...

I tried both types in my PT145 Pro. Both lock the slide back, so I don't think it's the follower design. More likely a backwards spring.
Old January 18, 2024, 04:01 PM   #6
Bucksnort1

Veprdude, I will try this.
Old January 18, 2024, 04:05 PM   #7
Bucksnort1

Veprdude, how do I disassemble the mag?
Old January 18, 2024, 04:16 PM   #8
Bucksnort1

Veprdude, I think you are correct about the spring. I can look into the small hole on the side of magazine that indicates the 5th round (this is on the non-slide locking magazine) and can see a little of the spring; whereas on the other magazine I cannot see same.
Old January 18, 2024, 05:26 PM   #9
wild cat mccane

You didn't ask, but only trying to be helpful. The PT series was recalled.

G2, G3, G4 series are the next versions of the recalled PT and 24/7 line.
Old January 18, 2024, 06:41 PM   #10
Bucksnort1

Wild Cat, please explain your response.
Old January 18, 2024, 08:22 PM   #11
veprdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnort1 View Post
Veprdude, how do I disassemble the mag?
There's a little slot at the bottom of the baseplate on the rear. Stick a very small flat-head screwdriver (1/8" should work) and pry forward. Pay attention to how the mag comes apart so you can reassemble easier.
Old January 18, 2024, 08:25 PM   #12
veprdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnort1 View Post
Wild Cat, please explain your response.
There are some striker fired Taurus models that are not drop-safe, even with the safety engaged. This is a design flaw without a reasonable fix, so Taurus is recalling them. A few years ago they were replacing anything you sent in with a G2c. This made some folks angry since they bought the more expensive OSS/DS models and are basically given a $200 pistol in return.

If you choose to keep your Taurus, it may be wise to keep one out of the chamber. Not all are affected, but you don't know which ones are until they drop and fire.
Old January 19, 2024, 10:59 AM   #13
Bucksnort1

Veprdude, Followed your advice. I reversed the spring. The magazine now holds slide at rear.

Thank you.
Old January 19, 2024, 08:57 PM   #14
wild cat mccane

Sounds like you might not be aware, so pardon my interruption on your question! Just trying to let you know.

It's not only not drop safe, it was found to be wiggle fireable. You could shake a PT series and have it fire.

All 24/7 and PT models (minus 709 slim 9mm?) where recalled. Taurus almost went under for it, it was such a large deal.

Your PT145, like my multiples of PT14o and my Mill Pro 9mm were recalled.

G2, G3, and G4 guns from Taurus are just previous version, with drop and wiggle fire corrected. Supposedly.
Old January 19, 2024, 10:55 PM   #15
Sarge

I had a PT45 for awhile. I don't dribble pistols around like basketballs and hence, had no problems.