The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2007, 08:58 PM   #1
kkduda

installing MMC sights on shotgun?

I'd appreciate some insight into the possibility of installing my new MMC ghost ring sights on my win 1300 defender shotgun. The rear sight just goes on with two screws. I have a drill press that I could drill the receiver, and thread the holes. I'm no gunsmith, but I'd drilled and threaded lots of other things before. This doesn't seem too different. Any suggestions, warnings, hints, etc??
Thanks.
Old January 5, 2007, 11:09 PM   #2
gordo b.

Make sure you follow the instructions. Center it ! Measure once , measure it again, try fit it with some wax and measure again. Measure it again and punch your centers. Go very slow speed on your drill. Tap little by little cleaning and lubeing as you go.after you like where it it set the screws on the rear with blue locktite. On the front go extra tight on the shims, tighter than they tell you. I had to put the front sight on with Red 242 locktite on the degreased and roughened tube to keep it on . The sight is wonderful, though
Old January 6, 2007, 12:55 AM   #3
SRG

THE best way is to use a milling machine and an edge finder. Finding exact center is difficult at best on a rounded surface such as a shotgun receiver.
Old January 6, 2007, 07:58 AM   #4
kkduda

I thought it would be difficult to drill on a rounded receiver, but my win 1300 has many lines that run along the top of its receiver. I'll measure carefully, but I might just be able to count and find the middle of the lines on the top of the receiver.

One more thing, I haven't received my MMC sight yet, does it come with shims for the clamp on front sight?
Old January 6, 2007, 08:49 PM   #5
SRG

You must center drill before you drill, but one word of advice; don't depend on those lines on your receiver being "centered". They are often not.