The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 4, 2010, 09:01 PM   #1
EdInk

SASS legal?

I have been TOYING with the idea of taking up cowboy shooting. It looks like alot of fun. I just can't bring myself to dress like a cowboy. I think it's the boots more than anything! (I could force myself to dress-up like Bat Masterson or something but the boots just are so uncomfortable and expensive.)

Anyway, I've read the SASS rulebook but can't recall if an 1896 Trench Gun is legal or not. I know it fits the time period but for some reason I thought I read it was not allowed or only allowed in "wild bunch" matches.

Does anyone recall the rules about this gun?
Old May 4, 2010, 10:06 PM   #2
CajunPowder

CASS shooting dress and style

There are folks who dress as things other than cowboys, they dress "of the period".

One could dress as a butcher, or a blacksmith, or a store keeper ... a bartender ... a dandy ... etc...

Just please, don't dress as a banker.
Old May 4, 2010, 10:32 PM   #3
Hardcase

If it's a trench gun with the bayonet lug and heat shield, then it's not SASS legal. Otherwise, it's just an 1897, which is A-OK.

There are a ton of alternatives to pointy-toed boots - in fact, there's absolutely no reason to wear them. Get a pair of square-toed pull ons and you'll be fine. In fact, I have this vague idea that, other than B-Western cowboys, the pointy boots aren't period accurate.

I did SASS for a few months and I just used an old pair of Dingos that I had lying around. That's about as cheap and easy as could be. Wore some Levis button fly jeans and a henley collar shirt, with some suspenders and voila!
Old May 4, 2010, 10:55 PM   #4
Hawg

pointy toed boots are pretty much out. Some good work boots like Red Wing without lugs on the sole are good. Brogans would be good but if you want to go the store keeper or banker you could wear some period looking shoes.

The only guns besides sxs doubles that are legaL is the 97 Winchester pump and the 87 Winchester lever. The 93 Winchester is not legal nor is the hybrid 93/97.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:32 PM   #5
EdInk

Yes, it was the heatshielded and bayonet lug version. Can somebody explai the reason for it not being legal? It was made during the time. Right?

Also, any suggestion for rifles. The straight grip on the Henry and similar lever actions are awkward to me. Ideally, something with a more contoured grip like a modern deer rifle or wider stock (like a mini-14 or garande). Are lever guns required?
Old May 4, 2010, 11:44 PM   #6
CajunPowder

Optional CAS/SASS

The preacher look was popular in a few movies! ;-)

"Two Mules for Sister Sara"

The snake oil salesman, (dandy).

Telegraph operator with the strange little visor.

Gold prospector. (Just be very dirty!)

I think the bartender look like in "Gunsmoke" would be pretty cool.

Dressing as a "Period" Prisoner ... You could be dragging a ball and chain!
Old May 4, 2010, 11:45 PM   #7
Hawg

There's a lot of guns made during the time that are not legal. There are some that weren't made during the time period that are. Lever guns are required and they must be pistol caliber and only fire lead bullets at under 1400 fps. No magnums allowed altho you can reload magnum cartridges to lower velocities.
You might find an original Winchester 92 with a pistol grip stock or a model 94 but a lot of the 94's don't handle pistol length cartridges well since it was originally designed for rifle cartridges.
Old May 5, 2010, 12:40 AM   #8
EdInk

Do you think that the new Taurus Judge Carbines are going to be allowed?
Old May 5, 2010, 12:45 AM   #9
troy_mclure

i saw some guys(and chicks) decked out in the Sherlock Holmes type costumes.

they were there firing some cane guns and stuff too(i dont think in competetion).
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 5, 2010, 04:11 AM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
Do you think that the new Taurus Judge Carbines are going to be allowed?
Nope
Old May 5, 2010, 06:15 AM   #11
B.L.E.

It's the Single Action Shooting Society. That's why you can't shoot double action revolvers even if that specific model of gun existed in the old West era.

Also, SASS shooting is first and foremost a shooting competition, not a history reenactment.
Old May 5, 2010, 07:49 AM   #12
Hawg

The double action could at least theoretically be disconnected but it doesn't even remotely resemble anything of the period. it only holds 6 and SASS only lets you load five in a revolver so there would be a full reload on the clock and that stock would never cut it.
Old May 5, 2010, 08:34 AM   #13
EdInk

I can accept that criteria. I thought maybe modifying it to SAO. I could have sworn I'd seen revolved carbine back in the Old West.
Old May 5, 2010, 08:57 AM   #14
Hawg

Yes you have but they're not SASS legal.
Old May 5, 2010, 09:34 AM   #15
Hardcase

Quote:
Yes, it was the heatshielded and bayonet lug version. Can somebody explai the reason for it not being legal? It was made during the time. Right?
It's legal for Wild Bunch shooting, but I guess the rub is that it didn't exist until the mid 1910s, so it's not period correct. I know, I know, an 1892 shooting .357s isn't period correct, either, but there you go.

Quote:
Also, any suggestion for rifles. The straight grip on the Henry and similar lever actions are awkward to me. Ideally, something with a more contoured grip like a modern deer rifle or wider stock (like a mini-14 or garande). Are lever guns required?
A pump gun like the Colt Lightning is also OK, but that's not going to help you out much because it also has a straight stock. Uberti's 1873 Sporting Rifle has a pistol grip, but its long barrel seems like it would be a little unwieldy. And it's expensive, too!

I guess that the only advice that I can offer is to see if you can borrow a lever rifle and practice with it. Maybe you can get used to it. Or maybe somebody else has a better idea!
Old May 5, 2010, 10:13 AM   #16
Jbar4Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggen
The only guns besides sxs doubles that are legaL is the 97 Winchester pump and the 87 Winchester lever. The 93 Winchester is not legal nor is the hybrid 93/97.
Ummm, and what about all those great old single shots?

SASS 47015
Old May 5, 2010, 11:39 AM   #17
Hawg

Quote:
Ummm, and what about all those great old single shots?
What about'em? yeah they're legal too, forgot
Old May 5, 2010, 10:03 PM   #18
andrewstorm

cowboy action shooting

Im also interested in cowboy action shooting,and ill be dressed as a time period gun smith, and i bet John wayne never minded playing cowboy,even though his real name was marion,and he was a yankee from NEW YORK CITY;
Old May 6, 2010, 10:14 AM   #19
Hardcase

Quote:
...he was a yankee from NEW YORK CITY;
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted..." - The Duke (from Winterset, Iowa).
Old May 9, 2010, 02:51 PM   #20
Nite Ryder

SASS legal

SASS is a business owned by several men, they make most of the rules, altho they consult with a group known as the Territorial Governors. Rules are changed, but it takes quite awhile and is a process that can be lengthy. Wild bunch is one of the newer catagories, it allows the use of government model Colt 45 ACP, a 1897 Shotgun (stoked) and a lever action rifle of over 40 caliber. But these rules vary by club and location, as do most of the rules. When you shoot a reginal match the SASS rules are followed pretty close, and you can get a match disqualification if your dress is not acceptable or your guns don't qualify.