The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 13, 2016, 05:06 PM   #51
K_Mac

Quote:
It is the thinking man's choice in a pistol caliber.
Really?! I think .40 is a fine choice that is not going anywhere. There is a difference in being contrary, and being arrogant and insulting though. Good luck with that.
Old September 13, 2016, 06:10 PM   #52
t4terrific

Game over for the 40 S&W. Say it ain't so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Mac View Post
It is the thinking man's choice in a pistol caliber.
I agree, in a way.

Logic is really the only reason to choose .40.

It's not as favorable to shoot, in most cases as 9 or .45, but it has rational advantages.

There are lots of guns chambered for it. There is every ammo type under the sun for it. The ammo and guns are everywhere, and easier to acquire. It performs well, and gives a high capacity in most platforms.

It's a "logical" caliber, as opposed to a "feel good" caliber.

9mm feels good. .45Auto feels good. .40 doesn't really feel as good, but it does make sense.

It's a thinking man's caliber.
Old September 13, 2016, 06:18 PM   #53
Oysterboy

I think the problem with the 40sw is that they were put on the 9mm frame. Only a few were made solely for the 40 and those shoot good.
Old September 13, 2016, 06:20 PM   #54
shafter

If the 40 is dying then it's going to be a long slow death. There are too many of them out there in active use and they do the job good enough.
Old September 13, 2016, 06:25 PM   #55
Oysterboy

Get those 180 gr slugs going at 1000+ fps and the baddies will have very serious problems.
Old September 13, 2016, 06:59 PM   #56
K_Mac

Quote:
I will concede that you make that case well. That's a very different assertion than, it is the thinking man's caliber.
Old September 13, 2016, 08:46 PM   #57
CowTowner

Quote:
Get those 180 gr slugs going at 1000+ fps and the baddies will have very serious problems.
While I do own a couple of 40's, I prefer the 10mm Auto to handle the 1,000+ fps 180 gr stuff.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old September 13, 2016, 09:21 PM   #58
Will Beararms

The FBI is full of Bravo Sierra. Here's why I carry my .40's and plink with my 9mm.

Old September 13, 2016, 09:24 PM   #59
Will Beararms

Another angle: The idiots running our Federal Government will have the people on the streets protecting us outgunned.

Old September 13, 2016, 09:52 PM   #60
tipoc

Quote:
Game over for the 40 S&W. Say it ain't so!
OK, it ain't so.

tipoc
Old September 14, 2016, 09:52 PM   #61
DHart

Will BearArms... Excellent thread you have here! And I'm very pleased to be a part of it.

I've been shooting a wide range of revolver and then pistol calibers for many years.

When .40S&W first came out, I picked up a couple of Browning HiPowers in .40 and LOVED how they felt and how comfortably they shot. The BHP 40 was designed specifically for 40, FN didn't just re-chamber the 9mm BHP into forty.

I added an M&P40 Compact right after that - love shooting this pistol too! It was designed around .40 caliber, as well.

Then I tried the Glock 23 and didn't like how it felt... I found it to be a bit uncomfortable to shoot and really, not all that much fun. This model was not designed specifically for forty; it is a 9mm pistol rechambered to .40 caliber. And I think that is the primary reason why it does not handle forty caliber nearly as comfortably as other pistol models do.

My next forty was an STI Edge, which is such a magnificent pistol that makes shooting forty feel like a mild nine.

After that, I added a full size M&P40, which has really cemented my appreciation for the platform AND the caliber.

Now, most recently, I have added a couple of Sig P320s in forty caliber. These also fire forty incredibly comfortably and enjoyably.

So, aside from the Glock 23 experience, I have found .40S&W to be a really enjoyable caliber to shoot.

And after years of carrying pistols in all three calibers (9,40,45) I have settled on .40S&W as my favorite carry caliber in my favorite pistols: M&P40, M&P40C, and P320 40 Carry and P320 40 Compact.

Why forty?

I can shoot .40S&W a little better than .45auto in a fast and frenzied style of shooting (how it is likely to be in a defensive situation) - just about as well as I can do with 9mm. In a mid-size to full-size pistol that is designed for forty, I don't feel much difference between 40 and 9mm +P. Forty is a heavier caliber with more momentum than 9mm, enabling it to bust through obstacles (like bones or other barriers) better than 9mm can. And forty has nearly the capacity of 9mm. So, for me I like that forty has a bit of an edge ballistically over 9mm, with close to the same capacity - and I can shoot it about as well as 9mm. So forty is THE happy medium caliber between 45asuto and 9mm.

I do prefer 9mm in very small guns, like the P938 and PM9, so it is my caliber of choice when I have no option to carry somewhat larger pistols, like the M&P40C or the P320.

I have no doubt that forty will continue as a very mainstream caliber for many, many years to come.

Nine mm has really zoomed in popularity due to the huge bubble in sales of very small and pocket-type guns. With these small guns, 9mm makes a lot of sense and very small guns have been all the rage over the last five years or so. Thus, 9mm has really zoomed into first place for sales. But that doesn't take a thing away from forty, in my view. Forty, fired from a mid-size or full-size pistol remains my #1 choice for defense and carry purposes.

Among my top choices for defense/carry use:
M&P40

M&P40C

Sig P320 Carry 40

Sig P320 Full Size 40

STI Edge

I sure do love forty! . Long live .40S&W.

Last edited by DHart; September 14, 2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old September 14, 2016, 11:06 PM   #62
Northrider

Lots of good arguments here for keeping your .40 S&W and lots of good arguments for moving to another caliber. There is another option for when the .40 is hard to come by and if you don't want to order the ammo online. You can start reloading your own to practice with and buy a box or two of commercial when you can find it, to have in your gun for home defense. It does not cost a fortune to get started reloading and you get a lot of satisfaction out of doing it.
Just my $.02.

Shoot Safe and Often
Old September 15, 2016, 07:30 AM   #63
Oysterboy

Quote:
While I do own a couple of 40's, I prefer the 10mm Auto to handle the 1,000+ fps 180 gr stuff.
What I did, got a 10mm.
Old September 15, 2016, 08:13 AM   #64
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart:
...Then I tried the Glock 23 and didn't like how it felt... I found it to be a bit uncomfortable to shoot and really, not all that much fun. This model was not designed specifically for forty; it is a 9mm pistol rechambered to .40 caliber. And I think that is the primary reason why it does not handle forty caliber nearly as comfortably as other pistol models do....
My Gen4 Glock 21 made my Gen4 Glock 22 expendable in a hurry I do not miss the "BTF's" even after the ejector upgrade. I think I got a bad apple Glock, not a fun experience. I replaced an HK USP40 that I liked, and I wish I still had, for an HK45 that I like a lot better
Old September 15, 2016, 03:19 PM   #65
CWKahrFan

"It ain't so"... Here's one of my fave range guns... Beretta 96 in .40...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV37390.JPG (209.4 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by CWKahrFan; September 15, 2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old September 15, 2016, 03:27 PM   #66
AKexpat

Quote:
The 9mm has never been inferior to 45 ACP.
Quote:
The 45 ACP pistols are just for nostalgia anymore.
Surely you jest.
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old September 15, 2016, 07:03 PM   #67
Bongo Boy

I saw a 'why does it have to be either-or' post above, and even while I understand not everyone wants to buy every firearm in every caliber available, I think there's some sense in selecting the firearm first and the caliber second when it comes to carry. Not sure if that really makes a lot of sense...I'm drinking at the moment.

Anyway, I carry .45, .40 and 10mm mostly due to what I feel is comfy at the moment. This isn't based on the chambering, it's just based on the gun I own...I have one in each caliber that's suitable for carry, it's that simple.

I find .40 fun to shoot, cheap to load (used brass, if I ever have to buy it again in my lifetime, is about as plentiful as politcal opinions), and cartridge capacity is right up there with the best of them in a concealable package. My recommendation is to LOOK at the SW M&P compact. Why? Because I own one in .45 and find it a Gift from Heaven. My own .40 carry is a Kahr DAO K40, and while I love it, can't recommend it as a first choice because it's a lot of work to shoot...at least for me.

Is .40 the best thing since hydraulic brakes...I doubt it. Is it a compromise? Well, every solution to a problem is. For cheap shooting a lot of handloads fast...it's the best thing in MY inventory. It does very well for me in IDPA, and when I carry it, I feel better equipped than I would be without a gun, and sure as hell better equipped than if I was carrying many other 'pocket gun' cartridges.

I can't say I 'love' it, but .40SW 180gr Gold Dots make me feel I'll do okay because I know how to dive for cover and still maybe hit a moving target. I just don't worry 'effectiveness' of cartridges...I know myself well enough to know 99% of my issue will be simply the first 500 milliseconds of deciding whether I need to draw and fire...or not.

Okay just one more thing...my experience is that with smaller handguns I really had to give my weak hand a LOT of time to learn and grow. This may not be your case, but for me, strong hand was king with stuff like the P220 and even the M&P. Come along the little guns, and I found weak hand had a lot more responsibilities. Maybe this should have been the case all along, but little guns (Kahr K40, Glock G29) emphasized 'you can't do it alone'. Shooting fast and accurately was a new game for weak hand. Took a lot of time and a lot of shooting to change habits and make 'em permanent.

Not sure this makes any difference btw 40 and 9. I'd say if I bought a Nano in 9 I'd find out how much left hand didn't know.

.45?

My advice is simply this (and it's a bit joking, don't want a controversy here): find your reason NOT to carry 45. Then solve the problem. But all joking aside, you may be lucky enough to find the handgun YOU shoot with total accuracy, speed and confidence. That should be The One. Even if it's a .380.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; September 15, 2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old September 15, 2016, 07:14 PM   #68
CWKahrFan

"It ain't so" ... My ported sweet-trigger Tisas Zigana w/Green Crimson Trace...

Old September 15, 2016, 07:28 PM   #69
agtman

Quote:
No, it's not. That's the prerogative of the 10mm AUTO. The .40, like the .357 Sig, is merely a derivative, after-thought cartridge.

Quote:
I will concede that you make that case well. That's a very different assertion than, it is the thinking man's caliber.
Junior varsity semantics getting in the way of the facts.

Okay, let's review: the thinking pistolero chooses the 10mm AUTO.

Game over for the sad-sack .40S&W.

Old September 15, 2016, 07:40 PM   #70
Bongo Boy

While 10mm is my first choice for carry, the OP expressed concern about what someone said regarding the availability of 40SW. Therefore, I conclude local availability of ammo is a concern. If they think 40SW is going out the window, I can't imagine what they'd have to say about 10...if they've even heard of it.

I don't go to local gun shops, and have no concern about what's on the shelves there or at Walmart. I have to always stop for a moment to realize some folks do and that's important to them. I would STILL advocate folks find a firearm they 'like' (to me that's equivalent to 'shoot well' and 'have confidence in'), then go from there. Ammo of any caliber is available in self defense quantities from a bajillion places...at least for now.

And yes, if given the wide-open no restrictions 'uh...what gun should I carry' my No 1 recommendation for many shooters, not all, would be the 10. It's MY first choice, but I handload, don't give a crap about recoil, and can shoot ammo limited only by how fast I can load it (which is exactly why I don't care about recoil).

Recoil is an absurd myth engendered by folks who very simply think a shooter 'should' be able to respond to it because of their size or gender, etc. Folks who think it's manly to be able to suck up recoil, and who think bigger guns have more, smaller guns have less. When it comes to shooting, many folks are overcome by the notion of it being a sort of manly thing, at least in my experience. Common sense doesn't prevail; what they may have learned at the gym doesn't seem to carry over.

The hits shown above, btw, were with Remington UMC ammo, which most folks would say is loaded to 40SW levels. That's true. Dead nuts accurate ammo, shot as fast I felt comfortable, but loaded way down. May be a lesson there for all. I dunno, I am not a smart guy.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; September 15, 2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old September 15, 2016, 08:22 PM   #71
tallball

CWK - That is a great-looking Beretta 96! I won an auction for a surplus one earlier this week. I hope to pick it up Saturday morning. I have heard good things about them.
Old September 15, 2016, 08:32 PM   #72
CWKahrFan

Thanks Tall... I tend to prefer a little "one-of-a-kind" uniqueness in how my guns look... and certainly enjoy the tinkering to make them so. I love the balance of the 96 and it fits my hand perfectly so shoots very accurately for me.
Old September 15, 2016, 08:36 PM   #73
xcc_rider

Personally, I think it really doesn't matter what caliber you shoot. Go shoot them all and decide what you want\like to shoot. Try out all the guns you can and buy the one you feel the best with. (It doesn't matter if it's a Bersa 32 ACP or 44 mag Desert Eagle) Then go practice, practice, practice and put thousands of rounds thru it until you're proficient with it. (This includes learning how to handle recoil and return to target)

I've got a 32 ACP, 9mm, 40 cal and 45 acp (I like the looks and feel of the Desert Eagle but I was never fond of 44 mag) and I'm certain I can defend myself with all of them.
Old September 16, 2016, 01:33 AM   #74
DHart

It's such a great thing to find a particular pistol, in a caliber that makes good sense to you, that just feels so enjoyable to shoot, feels so perfect in your hand, and allows you to shoot so great - and checks all the boxes regarding reliability, accuracy, capacity, terminal ballistics, carry-ability, etc.

I found that with the M&P40 and M&P40C.

Old September 16, 2016, 07:19 AM   #75
CWKahrFan

"It ain't so"... Oldie but goodie... My beautifully-crafted uber-durable S&W 4046:

Tags
40cal , edc , glock , springfield