The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 13, 2014, 02:28 PM   #1
WVBassFan

Getting ready for my new arrival...

I have a M&P Pro 5" in layaway and I get to pick it up in a week or so and I want to have a few rounds ready for it's arrival...I have great success shooting my XDS with reloads so now I want to develop a good setup for my 9mm ... I have some 120 grain Truncated 9mm lead bullets and plenty of brass with win primers...I use a Lee 4-die Turret and Lee dies... I have IMR 700 powder.... Anyone with recommendations of a charge for this load? I will only be using the M&P Pro... I would like a nice target load... not to much power at all... something I can tame and shoot lots of rounds in a day...

Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks
Old July 13, 2014, 06:42 PM   #2
g.willikers

Have you checked the Hodgdon web site loading data page?
Old July 13, 2014, 06:54 PM   #3
WVBassFan

Yes, the closest they have is a lead nose cone 125 grain... it says starting load would be 2.9.... I'm guessing 2.7 or 2.8 would be safe but I was just wondering if anyone shoots reloads near this size in a M&P pro 5" and how well it performs with reloads... is 120gr a good size to reload with ? does that gun prefer hot, mild or middle of the road? that kind of stuff.... hopefully someone with a similar setup will comment... thanks to all though... any info will help///
Old July 13, 2014, 09:05 PM   #4
Wreck-n-Crew

Just FME more accurate loads have been with middle to max loads. YMMV. As far as OAL I would wait to plunk the barrel before making a batch.

GL and report back!
Old July 14, 2014, 03:58 PM   #5
WVBassFan

Will do... AS soon as I get results (good or bad) i'll report... hopefully I can help someone else...
Old July 14, 2014, 04:01 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

Most highly recommend a start of 3.0g 700X.
Old August 1, 2014, 05:11 AM   #7
WVBassFan

Reporting back in case this helps anyone... I use a Lee Autoindex powder measure so I can get real accurate with Loads... I ended up using 3.2 grains of IMR 700x and a 120 gr lead cast bullet.... The M&P pro 5" performed great with this load....
Old August 1, 2014, 05:19 AM   #8
Wreck-n-Crew

Awesome. I take it there was no leading and accuracy was on point.just off the top of my head you should get over 2000 rounds per pound. The way powder is hard to find, that's a plus!
Old August 1, 2014, 07:58 AM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
I have some 120 grain Truncated 9mm lead bullets and plenty of brass with win primers...I use a Lee 4-die Turret and Lee dies... I have IMR 700 powder.... Anyone with recommendations of a charge for this load?
Those bullets would be out of Lee's mold?

I've loaded a bunch of them with 3.7 grains of Bullseye, which is very coindicently the exact same load I use for 158 grain lwc .38 special. Handy.

I know, Bullseye is hard to find right now, so I hear.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "