The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 23, 2024, 04:11 AM   #51
stagpanther

Quote:
To enhance your fun IMO, have plenty of mags preloaded before you get to the range. With 4 or 5+ mags ready to go I can enjoying a lot of shooting, then take a break to load them up again.
I dunno--even single feeding them I find I go way too fast with 22lr in general--there's a "zone" in concentrating on technique which forces me to slow down. Gratuitous plinking of bulk cheapo ammo--that's fun, but not something I'm especially interested in.
Old March 23, 2024, 04:53 AM   #52
Screwball

Had my MK III cut down to just over 2” and threaded. Runs my Rugged Oculus perfectly.
Old March 23, 2024, 03:13 PM   #53
603Country

I have a bunch of grandkids and their friends, and I have a bunch of 22’s. Everybody reaches for the Winchester 9422 when they come to the ranch. Small, light, accurate. 2x7 Leupold scope on it. The star of the show around here.

Of course, finding one might be tough. I paid $85 for mine. Can’t do that now.
Old March 23, 2024, 05:47 PM   #54
stagpanther

Quote:
I have a bunch of grandkids and their friends, and I have a bunch of 22’s. Everybody reaches for the Winchester 9422 when they come to the ranch. Small, light, accurate. 2x7 Leupold scope on it. The star of the show around here.

Of course, finding one might be tough. I paid $85 for mine. Can’t do that now.
Holy kerpolio! I just looked that up on gunbroker and they are listed as high as 2K for a high grade! Take care of that puppy!
Old March 23, 2024, 08:22 PM   #55
FITASC

Handgun? S&W Model 17, aka K-22 Masterpiece with the 3Ts
Rifle? Remington 542 or Marlin 39a - the ability of those two (plus the revolver above) to shoot 22 S, L, LR, plus shot, subsonic, CB, etc. makes them a LOT of fun to shoot. Either of those two rifles, with their 24" barrels, and shooting subsonic will allow quiet shooting without a tax stamp for a suppressor
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa

Last edited by FITASC; March 23, 2024 at 08:51 PM.
Old March 24, 2024, 08:45 AM   #56
603Country

Stagpanther, I found the 9422 at a country gunsmith. He was fixing a 22 rifle I had taken apart and could not reassemble. While he was doing that, I examined the rifles he had in a corner. And there was a 9422 that was a bit beat up. I asked if I could look at it, and he said “for $85 you can have it”. I almost hurt my hand trying to whip out the checkbook. I had to refinish the stock and forearm, but it looks pretty good now. The oldest grandson has spoken for the rifle upon my demise. It’ll be in good hands.
Old March 24, 2024, 10:36 AM   #57
stuckinthe60s

high standard...bar none. get one and youll never look back.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old March 24, 2024, 01:30 PM   #58
stagpanther

Quote:
Stagpanther, I found the 9422 at a country gunsmith. He was fixing a 22 rifle I had taken apart and could not reassemble. While he was doing that, I examined the rifles he had in a corner. And there was a 9422 that was a bit beat up. I asked if I could look at it, and he said “for $85 you can have it”. I almost hurt my hand trying to whip out the checkbook. I had to refinish the stock and forearm, but it looks pretty good now. The oldest grandson has spoken for the rifle upon my demise. It’ll be in good hands.
Very nice story, all around.
Old March 24, 2024, 05:20 PM   #59
TruthTellers

What Prof Young is lacking in his list is a small mouse gun, so the NAA could be a good choce, but I'd recommend he wait for the new Sentinel to come out, that's the Sidewinder with the improved sights of the Pug. In addition to that, I'd get a small autoloader like the Beretta 21a or Ruger LCP. I know the LCP .22 is sketchy with reliability, but for a range gun that's fine and there's the off chance you might get one that works really well with a certain brand of ammo.

I'm considering getting one myself.
Old March 24, 2024, 09:01 PM   #60
banditbigdog

CZ 75 Kadet with single action trigger
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A9A7BE02-1090-42C2-89D0-8A91A28F7CFF.jpeg (771.0 KB, 7 views)
Old March 25, 2024, 06:28 AM   #61
stagpanther

Quote:
What Prof Young is lacking in his list is a small mouse gun, so the NAA could be a good choce
I used to think those things were something of a joke until I actually shot one. I like to compare them to primitive archery bows--really good for developing intuition skills.
Old March 25, 2024, 07:31 AM   #62
PzGren

If fun shooting is defined as plinking, the HK4 in .22 l.r. with a correct .22 extractor will deliver a lot of fun,

When I want to add quality, accuracy and durability it brings the FN 150 International to my mind. Like the Ruger MkII they can see in excess of 100,000 rounds without a single part breaking but with a nicer trigger.

Old April 25, 2024, 11:28 PM   #63
GGALLIN1776

Most fun? A .22LR conversion on something from the registry. 10/22 with a trigger crank is a hoot as well despite the awkwardness of feeling like you're reeling in a fish.

The price is really getting to me though, a decade ago a brick of thunderbolt was $12 here....now only 325rds is over $50.

I received some "sale" emails recently & the price on 5k bundles is downright blasphemy. Never thought I'd be contemplating reloading .22 of all things, but since prices tend to stay high I'll be doing so in the future.

Not sure why I started saving EVERY spent round I fire after my first purchase, but it turned out to be a good practice.