The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 11, 2013, 02:13 AM   #1
flitemedic13

nickel plated bullets

I asked on another reloading site with no luck..quick questions -

1. ive noticed a couple of manufactures that have pistol/rifle ammo that use nickel plated bullets (or what seems to be nickel), but cant find any nickel plated bullets by themselves. Anyone know where to get any?

2. is there a reason why not many companies manufacture them?

3. Is there a pro or con to actually using nickel plated bullets - like bad performance, fouling, expense, etc?
Old April 11, 2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

I will almost bet you they are not nickel... nickel is harder that the barrel material & would wear out a barrel in very short order...

... they may be Guilding metal, which is a reasonably soft alloy that is silver in color...

that is of course unless you are calling "cartridges" "bullets" which bullets is not the correct term for a loaded round...

there are several manufacturers that offer nickel plated cases, which I believe were 1st offered for police officers ( & cowboys ) to keep their brass from turning green while in leather cartridge belts, often cases of premium rifle ammunition are nickel plated to protect the brass in tropical climates... & make them look "pretty" to aid in prying the premium price out of your wallet...

there are no nickel plated "bullets" that are designed to actually shoot
Old April 11, 2013, 08:28 AM   #3
Bart B.

Norma made several nickel plated match bullets in the 1960's. I shot over 600 of them in a .264 Win. Mag. It was a softer nickel and didn't wear out the barrel any faster than normal bullet jackets did. Other nickel plated bullets have been made.

Gilding metal is a copper alloy, comprising 95% copper and 5% zinc. Technically, it is a brass. It's copper colored in appearance. Most bullet jacket material is guilding metal.
Old April 11, 2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

Nickel isn't an alloy, & its hard... so if the nickel was "softer", it was some sort of silver colored alloy, that may have had a minor percentage of nickel in it ???
Old April 11, 2013, 08:39 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

At one time the standard bullet jacket material was an alloy of copper and nickel, called cupronickel.

As a jacket material it had some drawbacks, chief among them its tendency to foul the hell out of rifling and impinge on accuracy, which is what led to the development and adoption of gilding metal.

Pure nickel has a Mohs hardness of about 4, or roughly the same as elemental iron, which isn't particularly hard, and is probably in the realm of mild steel in some forms.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; April 11, 2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old April 11, 2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Jimro

Federal Trophy Tip: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...ion/740265.uts

They are advertised as nickel plated brass and bullet, but I assume that like a 5 cent nickel that the plating is a nickel/copper alloy (the 5 cent coin is only 25% nickel, and 75% copper).

I've not seen the Federal trophy tip bullets sold straight to reloaders.

Jimro
Old April 11, 2013, 10:02 AM   #7
Jim Watson

The high velocity pistol Silvertips have copper (or gilding metal) jackets plated with nickel. It looks shiny enough to be straight nickel or a high nickel alloy. The low velocity rounds have aluminum jackets.

I once took an author to task for arming his heroes' troops with cupronickel jacketed bullets but he pointed out that the popular (in Europe) RWS bullets had them. I didn't get into a debate over the applications of a couple of shots fired at game versus a sustained firefight.
Old April 11, 2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

I have Federal Premium with Trophy Bonded Bear claws ( mine aren't nickel )

I guess I stand corrected...

as I said before, I'd also suspect nickel is a minor ingredient the alloy they are plating with, but I guess at least Federal is calling it nickel...
Old April 11, 2013, 10:45 AM   #9
Jimro

No better accuracy, but better corrosion resistance if that matters to you. If you are going to put ammo in a leather loop holder, nickel is your friend.

And sometimes ammo companies do something simply because it looks cool.

I still have a bunch of pulled turk 8mm bullets with the cupro nickel jacket. They are magnetic. I don't have any plans to shoot them currently, but I've never sold them off or traded them away either.

Jimro
Old April 11, 2013, 10:57 AM   #10
mete

Jimro , have you taken apart one of those bullets ? Nickel is magnetic ,in fact at one time the Canadian nickel coin had so much nickel it would attract a magnet. I wondered if those bullets were steel core with nickel jacket or lead core with nickel jacket.
Old April 11, 2013, 12:30 PM   #11
Jimro

Mete, lead core, cupro-nickel jacket, no sparks off of the jacket when grinding.

Jimro
Old September 14, 2017, 11:15 AM   #12
dbooksta

Just saw a batch of demil'ed "nickel-coated" 220gr SMKs appear at American Reloading. I thought they must be mistaken about the coating (maybe moly) and called, but they confirmed that it really is a thin layer of nickel over the copper jacket:

They did note that it is so thin that you can see the copper through the nickel layer on rounds that had been subject to more handling.

The only benefit I can imagine that layer offering is corrosion resistance.
Old September 14, 2017, 11:23 AM   #13
hdwhit

America reloading.com had nickel plated bullets in several sizes when I checked them earlier in the week.
Old September 15, 2017, 02:20 AM   #14
DaleA

Well it is a four year old thread and we scared the original poster off but those nickel plated bullets are really interesting.

Thanks for posting.

P.S. Anybody else want to chime in on the reason for the nickel or does everyone agree it's a corrosion thing?
Old September 17, 2017, 08:41 PM   #15
disseminator

I have been loading the Federal Trophy Bonded Tipped for my 308 and I guess I just assumed the plating was cosmetic. It looks good.

My Dad loves his Winchester 308 with the black coated ballistic tip and nickled brass. That sells ammo.

I suppose it would keep the bullets from tarnishing as well but that is probably secondary to looking cool.
Old September 17, 2017, 09:13 PM   #16
hdwhit

Quote:
Dale A wrote:
P.S. Anybody else want to chime in on the reason for the nickel or does everyone agree it's a corrosion thing?
Personally, I think it's more likely to be a cosmetic and appearance thing more than anything functional.
Old September 17, 2017, 09:14 PM   #17
hdwhit

Quote:
disseminator wrote:
My Dad loves his Winchester 308 with the black coated ballistic tip and nickled brass. That sells ammo.
With that testimony, I'll rest my case.
Old September 17, 2017, 11:15 PM   #18
Marco Califo

OP's one and only post. When I read it, I immediately thought must mean nickle plated brass, and that I didn't think OP new the difference between brass, ammo, bullets, and cartridges.
Old December 2, 2017, 10:59 PM   #19
sixgunluv

What about platinum?

Last edited by sixgunluv; December 2, 2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old December 3, 2017, 05:08 PM   #20
Gary Wells

Federal advised as of about 1 year ago that they were no longer selling reloading components and had no intention of doing so in the future. I tried buying some of their premium Gold Medal Match components and no cigar.