The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 3, 2014, 04:08 AM   #1
chris in va

9mm carbine + lead = odd

I've been shooting lead through my CX4 for a few months with few accuracy issues...until today.

It started with laser accuracy for a couple mags then I started getting buckshot patterns. Thinking my red dot worked loose I flipped up the irons with similar results.

At that point I quit shooting. Once home I disassembled and discovered a 'slug' of lead fouling on one small spot of the rifling. It was completely level and flush with the lands, something I haven't seen before. Just one spot in a groove, nowhere else.

It took quite a bit of scrubbing with chore boy to get it out. I guess my question is, how did this happen and what can I do to prevent it in the future? It was about 2" from the chamber. I'm using my usual 45-45-10 lube mix.

Should I start bringing the cleaning rod with me to the range?
Old August 3, 2014, 07:31 AM   #2
Wreck-n-Crew

My guess would be from peeling. A shaved piece of lead left at the case mouth when loaded. Maybe forgot to chamfer the case or did not get good flare on the case. Maybe even a misalignment when loaded. Either way you've probably seen the peeled lead on a lead round before, forming a little sliver of lead on the mouth of the casing. They can cause just the very thing you describe.