The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 9, 2021, 05:38 PM   #26
Scorch

You guys act like Colt is your local corner gunstore gunsmith who won't give you a treat. One reason they quit making Pythons in the first place is they got tired of being held hostage by the UAW over when and how the union workers would do anything. It's not that all the old workers are retired, they could train new ones. Colt looked real hard at which guns required the minimum of hand work and focused on those guns. Yes, some people still want a revolver, but revolvers are more of a novelty or range toy nowadays, nobody carries a revolver for serious work. Revolvers need LOTS of hand work to be really smooth and nice, and people keep looking at the pricetag and shaking their heads so the manufacturers drop the expensive to make guns and focus on the guns that cost less. That's why Colt focused on 1911s 40 years ago.
Old October 9, 2021, 08:34 PM   #27
Kurbsky

Unfortunately making cheaper staff is the way to go not just just for revolvers. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find full metal pistol models. Plastic is cheap and a lot of people do not care as long as it's accurate and light.
Old October 10, 2021, 08:06 AM   #28
The Happy kaboomer

Wrong. Colt priced themselves out of the market. Also at the first gov. contract for M16's they scaled back civilian gun production back to almost ZERO. They have done this several times. Did ya know Colt once owned HOLLY carburators?.......LOTS of misinformation be spewed out there.
Revolvers are not a novelty or range toy......All the BIG BOOMERS are revolvers. They are as popular as ever.........Not everyone wants a plastic....pew....pew.
Old October 10, 2021, 12:00 PM   #29
Kurbsky

I certainly do not want plastics anymore and I agree that Colt products are overpriced. I dont't see much hope coming from the new owner CZ. After CZ bought Dan Wesson they did not nake their pistils any cheaper and they discontinued production of the DW revolver. CZ 1911 was a great product for a very good price but that was just a one time special. I did not even get one because I was too late to the party.
Old October 10, 2021, 03:21 PM   #30
Bill DeShivs

While carbon steel is entirely adequate for handguns, it rusts. Bluing is the least protective coating for carbon steel.
Stainless has superseded carbon steel, as a rule.
There is no real reason to use it today.
Old October 10, 2021, 04:33 PM   #31
Kurbsky

Good point Bill... but isn't carbon steel a little bit harder and resistant to mechanical stress than stainless?
Old October 10, 2021, 05:50 PM   #32
jackmoser65

On the flipside, there's no real reason not to use it either. Stainless may be a bit easier to maintain but folks seem to do just fine with guns that are not dishwasher safe.