The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 9, 2013, 07:10 PM   #1
Dlfjr

Llama 45 auto parts

Need grip screws,pin for grip hammer spring holder.front site, any help would be appreciated.
Old April 9, 2013, 07:50 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The company is out of business, but you might try www.gunpartscorp.com for parts.

In spite of a resemblance to the U.S. Model 1911, few if any parts will interchange even with modification.

Jim
Old April 10, 2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Dlfjr

thanks for advice jim
Old April 11, 2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Japle

Is this a gun you’ve already fired or something you bought and want to restore? Be advised that Llama’s 1911 clones were not of high quality.

I had one come into the shop that would fire with the safety on, the grip safety not depressed and the slide out of battery. If you pulled the trigger, the hammer was gonna fall. The fire control parts were very crude. The sear and disconnector looked like they’d been filed by hand out of wrought iron.

Make sure someone who knows 1911s checks that gun out before you shoot it.
Old April 11, 2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Deaf Smith

If larryh1108 is still here at TFL, he had Llama parts a while back.

PM him and see.

Deaf
Old April 12, 2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Is this a gun you’ve already fired or something you bought and want to restore? Be advised that Llama’s 1911 clones were not of high quality.
I think it depends on WHEN they were made. As their sales began to decline, their quality seemed to decline, too -- but some of the early Llamas were pretty good. I had one imported by Stoeger that was first class, and made of good steel. This was a 1911 in 9mm, heavy, but a tack driver. I later sold it, but probably should have kept it. Weird sights, and rib on the top of the slide that looked unusual (and not typical 1911).

When I bought it, used, one of the hammer hooks was damaged, and my gunsmith replaced the hammer and sear with stock 1911 parts, and it was not only like new, and crisp. The key to success,however, wasn't simple: it appears that their factory hammer and sear, at least in that model, were NOT 1911 spec, and you couldn't replace one with spec 1911 parts without also replacing the other. In other words, some of their 1911s were not true "clones."

I have no experience with newer Llamas, and I've heard nothing but complaints about them -- which may account for the comments above, to which I replied.
Old April 12, 2013, 09:51 AM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I worked on a couple of late Llamas (Max series) and my experience was like Japle's. On those the safeties worked OK, but the internal parts were crude and showed heavy file marks from trying to get things working.

The barrels were loose and the slide to frame fit was very poor. One gun grouped around 10" at 50 feet, the other was almost as bad.

Jim
Old April 12, 2013, 03:28 PM   #8
Dlfjr

Llama45

The gun is 1972or73 serial number imported from stronger and in very good shape have shot it before but it's been apart fo several years and I lost some parts . Thanks for the advice from you all.
Old April 12, 2013, 04:24 PM   #9
larryh1108

Contact made.
Thanks for letting him know.

Llama's best products were up until the mid 70s. Their Especial line was their best work. The large frame models weren't as nice as their small frame line, though, but for the price you can get a decent shooter. Except for a few, older models, they'll never be a collector's item but they can be fun at the range.